Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

(2018) SG - Luguentz Dort to Arizona State

7 minutes ago, TXHoosierDaddy said:

Oregon, IU, Miami, Baylor, Arizona State and Mich St. 

I really struggle to understand how a player seriously interested in IU and MSU could also be seriously interested in Oregon and Baylor. Like saying he's not sure if he wants to be a priest or a mafioso.

Being mixed with ASU, Oregon, Baylor, MSU feels a little sleezy. Those schools rolling in the dirt.

I've said before, I'm not on a high horse. Dort is impressive. I'd be thrilled if this goes our way. If it doesn't, I won't be heartbroken either (unless it's MSU, lol).

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

https://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/news/luguentz-dort-discusses-his-final-six

Another step was taken towards a college commitment on Sunday evening as Luguentz Dort narrowed his college list to a group of six. A physically mature and versatile scoring guard, Dort is down to a group consisting of Indiana, Michigan State, Miami, Arizona State, Oregon and Baylor.

A 6-foot-4 prospect within the top-50 of his 2018 class' rankings, Dort discussed the reason for why he narrowed it down to this specific group. "I just really like how they want me to play for them and they really want me to play the point guard position, which would be good for me," he said.

Dort spoke further on each of his finalists.

Baylor: "Scott Drew gave me my first offer. They have been with me for a long time.

"I really like the way they play with the pick and roll with their guards. I really like their system."

Oregon: "They have a really good Canadian connection. They play fast which is something that I really like."

Miami: "It is another system that I like with the pick-and-roll. They have a lot of good players that like to play fast.

"Bruce Brown is kind of like me and is doing great over there. I just feel like I have a chance if I go there."

Indiana: "I just really like the coaching staff and the way that they are recruiting me right now. I haven't been there and haven't watched them play but I have a really good relationship with the coaches."

Michigan State: "It is a great program. We have all heard about that. I like the way that they play together. Tom Izzo just knows how to make pros."

Arizona State: "Bobby Hurley is one of the great point guards that played the game. I feel like if I were to go there, I would really learn a lot about the point guard position."

WHATS NEXT?

Dort will finish out his final year of high school basketball at Calusa Prep this winter.

He spoke on the final stages of his recruitment. "I don't have any visits set yet but I will probably start them in August," he said. "I will probably commit and sign during the early period in November."

RIVALS' REACTION

Dort is the type of versatile guard that has come to excel in recent years thanks to his ability to score, playmake and defend various spots on the perimeter.

Each program within his final six has a fine chance of landing his commitment but thanks to the time that they have invested in the recruitment of the Brookwood Elite prospect, Baylor and Oregon may have a leg up on the rest of their competitors.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

11 hours ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Being mixed with ASU, Oregon, Baylor, MSU feels a little sleezy. Those schools rolling in the dirt.

I've said before, I'm not on a high horse. Dort is impressive. I'd be thrilled if this goes our way. If it doesn't, I won't be heartbroken either (unless it's MSU, lol).

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

I agree if I had a list of the top 5 sleaziest schools Baylor and Oregon would be near the top. If MSU lands Henry, my prediction would be Oregon. If Henry goes elsewhere, I'll say MSU.

21 minutes ago, TXHoosierDaddy said:

I agree if I had a list of the top 5 sleaziest schools Baylor and Oregon would be near the top. If MSU lands Henry, my prediction would be Oregon. If Henry goes elsewhere, I'll say MSU.

MSU surprises me a little. They have Winston as their starter with another PG coming in. I'm not sure Winston projects as an NBA player given his size but who knows. I think Dort stays out west but his final 6 is all over the place. 

I realize there are legitimate concerns about motives and transfer rate here, but......

From a basketball standpoint, this kid is beyond exciting. I believe you can play him 1-3.

For me, since we are considering him as a PG with positional versatility.

Strictly basketball.

Garland, Dort, Akinjo, DeVoe, Phinisee. (I'm having a hard time evaluating Phinisee-great Junior year and rough summer. I don't know if that's based on injuries or the change in the level of talent he faced). I'd like to see more from RP senior year to judge.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

3 hours ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

I realize there are legitimate concerns about motives and transfer rate here, but......

From a basketball standpoint, this kid is beyond exciting. I believe you can play him 1-3.

For me, since we are considering him as a PG with positional versatility.

Strictly basketball.

Garland, Dort, Akinjo, DeVoe, Phinisee. (I'm having a hard time evaluating Phinisee-great Junior year and rough summer. I don't know if that's based on injuries or the change in the level of talent he faced). I'd like to see more from RP senior year to judge.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

No kid we're recruiting this year that I want to see in person more than Dort. The toolkit is unassailably elite. Can probably defend 4 positions. But I've watched all of the video of him that I can find and I don't see a PG at all. Don't even see a Rojo-like CG. To me, he looks like a 2-3 with some ability as a secondary creator, though almost exclusively for himself. Also hate his jumper. Ball's on his palm, inconsistent release point. Needs work. And yet CAM, the ex D1 PG, sees a PG. So I know I'm missing something. But am I the only 1 who can't see Dort and Langford playing together?

3 minutes ago, Demo said:

No kid we're recruiting this year that I want to see in person more than Dort. The toolkit is unassailably elite. Can probably defend 4 positions. But I've watched all of the video of him that I can find and I don't see a PG at all. Don't even see a Rojo-like CG. To me, he looks like a 2-3 with some ability as a secondary creator, though almost exclusively for himself. Also hate his jumper. Ball's on his palm, inconsistent release point. Needs work. And yet CAM, the ex D1 PG, sees a PG. So I know I'm missing something. But am I the only 1 who can't see Dort and Langford playing together?

Archie probably see's a high level player he can mold into a PG. 

45 minutes ago, schimpfj said:

I'm not saying we are going to get dort, but we've lost out on many players for the sole reason of their "relationship" with other coaching staffs - bazley and johns come to mind specifically. All I'm saying is that if Archie and dort are that close don't rule us out.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Chris007 seems to think we have a legit shot

1 hour ago, nixie said:

In Chris007 we trust!!

We all need to settle down a little bit :-). I think we have to overcome some west coast connections but he seems to have a special connection to Archie. If we get him on campus than I think our chances will go up.