Jump to content

Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

ccgeneral

(2019) C James Wiseman

Recommended Posts

4 minutes ago, MoyeNeeded said:


I think he will be watching what's going on with DD. If his numbers improve and his propensity to foul goes down, he will get some NBA interest. Especially with his physical development. Odds are no, but it has happened. NBA is about potential.

Sent from my SM-G930P using BtownBanners mobile app
 

I think Davis's athleticism will really hold him back in the eyes of the NBA. He's more of a traditional big, which has been fading from the league for some time. He'll be here 3 years at the very least IMO.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, VO5 said:

I think Davis's athleticism will really hold him back in the eyes of the NBA. He's more of a traditional big, which has been fading from the league for some time. He'll be here 3 years at the very least IMO.

Agreed- I like DD, but he's not particularly athletic for the B1G, let alone the NBA. I would be genuinely shocked if he ever makes an NBA roster. That is an indictment of the league though, since skill is a distant second to athleticism/measurables. Exhibit A? OG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Hardwood83 said:

Agreed- I like DD, but he's not particularly athletic for the B1G, let alone the NBA. I would be genuinely shocked if he ever makes an NBA roster. That is an indictment of the league though, since skill is a distant second to athleticism/measurables. Exhibit A? OG

I think that's an inaccurate portrayal of the league. You need to be elite in skill, athleticism, both, whatever. Exhibit A of elite skill without elite athleticism? Steph Curry.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Walking Boot of Doom said:

I think that's an inaccurate portrayal of the league. You need to be elite in skill, athleticism, both, whatever. Exhibit A of elite skill without elite athleticism? Steph Curry.

Yo not to get all nit-picky but Steph is one of the most athletic people in the world.  ESPN did a cool article about it last year.  Basically his core/hip strength is off the charts, and helps him be one of the shiftiest players in the league.  From the article:

"In each of the past two seasons, Curry has careened into the paint -- a forest of lower-leg dangers -- and shot more often and at a better percentage than all but seven players, all of them bigger. No one is better than Curry at misdirection through hip gyration, as when he thrice juked Kawhi Leonard on Jan. 25 before hitting a corner 3, transfiguring the defensive player of the year into a viral chalk outline. And yet that play might not have been more impressive than one seven days earlier, when Curry found himself the meat in a Kyrie Irving-LeBron James sandwich in the lane. He judo-tossed the 250-pound James onto the floor, broke free of Irving's grip, sprinted past a screen and drained a 3 in the time it took for James to stand back up. "The way Steph moves, 98 percent of the world would hurt themselves trying to run like that," says Warriors assistant GM Kirk Lacob, son of owner Joe. "I think people would pay to watch Steph work out."

 

Link to the whole article:  http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/14750602/how-golden-state-warriors-stephen-curry-got-best-worst-ankles-sports

Totally worth a read.  These guys like Coach Clif can really impact a team's ability to stay healthy.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Hardwood83 said:

Agreed- I like DD, but he's not particularly athletic for the B1G, let alone the NBA. I would be genuinely shocked if he ever makes an NBA roster. That is an indictment of the league though, since skill is a distant second to athleticism/measurables. Exhibit A? OG

It's a guard driven league now. The days of having two bigs down low are gone. The stretch four ala Draymond Green is the new 4. Leaves very few roster spots for a guy like DD. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Stromboli said:

Yo not to get all nit-picky but Steph is one of the most athletic people in the world.  ESPN did a cool article about it last year.  Basically his core/hip strength is off the charts, and helps him be one of the shiftiest players in the league.  From the article:

"In each of the past two seasons, Curry has careened into the paint -- a forest of lower-leg dangers -- and shot more often and at a better percentage than all but seven players, all of them bigger. No one is better than Curry at misdirection through hip gyration, as when he thrice juked Kawhi Leonard on Jan. 25 before hitting a corner 3, transfiguring the defensive player of the year into a viral chalk outline. And yet that play might not have been more impressive than one seven days earlier, when Curry found himself the meat in a Kyrie Irving-LeBron James sandwich in the lane. He judo-tossed the 250-pound James onto the floor, broke free of Irving's grip, sprinted past a screen and drained a 3 in the time it took for James to stand back up. "The way Steph moves, 98 percent of the world would hurt themselves trying to run like that," says Warriors assistant GM Kirk Lacob, son of owner Joe. "I think people would pay to watch Steph work out."

 

Link to the whole article:  http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/14750602/how-golden-state-warriors-stephen-curry-got-best-worst-ankles-sports

Totally worth a read.  These guys like Coach Clif can really impact a team's ability to stay healthy.  

Huh, different look at it, and very cool! I still disagree with the original assertion, but looks like I was wrong about Steph!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Walking Boot of Doom said:

Huh, different look at it, and very cool! I still disagree with the original assertion, but looks like I was wrong about Steph!

Yeah I agree with your premise.  There was an interview with Rick Carlisle talking about Yogi carving a spot for himself in the league.  It was something along the lines of "he's found himself a spot in the league because he has demonstrated an NBA skill." I think he was talking about either creating and knocking down a 3pt shot, or maybe driving the lane.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Stromboli said:

Yeah I agree with your premise.  There was an interview with Rick Carlisle talking about Yogi carving a spot for himself in the league.  It was something along the lines of "he's found himself a spot in the league because he has demonstrated an NBA skill." I think he was talking about either creating and knocking down a 3pt shot, or maybe driving the lane.  

Probably a much better example. Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Walking Boot of Doom said:

Probably a much better example. Thanks!

Getting waaay off topic here, I realize.  But here's the article I was referencing in support of your point.  It is Carlisle who says it's important for a rookie to demonstrate an "NBA skill" early to get a shot.  

"The long-range shot is more important than the around-the-rim stuff, though, at least in his immediate future. He came to the NBA with an “NBA skill,” as Rick Carlisle likes to call it. Young players must establish themselves as soon as possible, in any possible way. Ferrell’s nine-trey explosion on a Friday night in Portland gave him a reputation as a dead-eye 3-point shooter, and he backed it up for the rest of the season; he connected on 40.3 percent of his triples for the Mavericks, on 149 attempts. Below is a chart showing the most prolific 3-point shooters among rookies from Jan. 29, the date Ferrell debuted for Dallas."

 

Here's the whole article:  https://www.mavs.com/on-the-inside-yogi-ferrell/

Excellent read.  I don't know why it's so hard to find in-depth writing like this.  I was living off of Yogi's success last year, just as the Hoosiers were turning out to be an awful basketball team.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Two Memphis East basketball players, coached by Penny Hardaway, ruled ineligible by TSSAA

http://www.commercialappeal.com/story/sports/high-school/2017/11/15/memphis-east-basketball-players-penny-hardaway-ruled-ineligible-tssaa-ryan-boyce-james-wiseman/868536001/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Wiseman ruled ineligible for the '17-'18 season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×