Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Uspshoosier

(2019) PF Trayce Jackson-Davis to INDIANA

1 hour ago, HoosierFan1994 said:

Good for TJD! He pretty much locked up Mr. Basketball tonight. Would love to see him in Indy in two weekends. IU is getting a good one! Think he will be All-B1G by his sophomore year. 

Back in the day, I seem to recall they used to vote for Mr. BB before the tournament (otherwise, there's no way Roger Harden beats out Scott Skiles in 1982). Don't know if that's still the case -- I haven't lived in Indiana in 25 years -- and with with TJD's resume, it might not matter anyway. He might've already had it locked up. 

9 hours ago, Old Friend said:

Let's assume for the sake of discussion we get Brooks.  Is adding Davis, Franklin, Brooks, and Hunter while losing Morgan, Langford, Fitzner, and McRoberts a net gain or a net loss?

Possibly a net loss for next season but a huge net gain going forward.

Let's assume for the sake of discussion we get Brooks.  Is adding Davis, Franklin, Brooks, and Hunter while losing Morgan, Langford, Fitzner, and McRoberts a net gain or a net loss?

+ Race too.

Talent wise it’s a net gain. The mega loss from that group is Juwan, and that’s not meant as a slight at Romeo. Morgan’s leadership and efficient scoring won’t be replaced.

Will need further development and yearlong buy in from the returnees, and I am optimistic that we are over that issue and that next year will be a good one.

The year after that? We oughta be top ten and national contenders.

2 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

+ Race too.

Talent wise it’s a net gain. The mega loss from that group is Juwan, and that’s not meant as a slight at Romeo. Morgan’s leadership and efficient scoring won’t be replaced.

Will need further development and yearlong buy in from the returnees, and I am optimistic that we are over that issue and that next year will be a good one.

The year after that? We oughta be top ten and national contenders.

I will say that if we shouldn’t expect the guys coming in to be as good as those leaving we need guys to develop. 

Big net gain in terms of talent and skill set but for next season a net loss because of Juwan's rebounding and his and Romeo's point production.  I would foresee next year as a better overall year because I don't see the mid-season collapse occurring again but next year's team will not be a Final Four caliber team and probably just not quite good enough to be an Elite 8 team.

I’d almost look at it this way, would you have have Morgan, Langford, Fitzner and McRoberts with a freshmen Phinisee, or TJD, Brooks, Franklin and a healthy Hunter with a sophomore Phiniseee?

1 hour ago, BGleas said:

I’d almost look at it this way, would you have have Morgan, Langford, Fitzner and McRoberts with a freshmen Phinisee, or TJD, Brooks, Franklin and a healthy Hunter with a sophomore Phiniseee?

Great point!

No pun intended 

Edited by jk34

Will any of TJD, Brooks, Franklin, or Hunter be able to take over a game like Morgan? Morgan has been able to takeover a game and win. I’m not seeing it out of that group. I think we’ll continue to build on skill level.

I’d add in a healthy Davis and that we might be a bit more balanced. I think we could be better if the shooting percentages from outside increase and we have some threats from deep.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

1 minute ago, HoosierAloha said:

Will any of TJD, Brooks, Franklin, or Hunter be able to take over a game like Morgan? Morgan has been able to takeover a game and win. I’m not seeing it out of that group. I think we’ll continue to build on skill level.

I’d add in a healthy Davis and that we might be a bit more balanced. I think we could be better if the shooting percentages from outside increase and we have some threats from deep.

Hunter would be best bet simply because time.  Race and Smith are possibilities. And if Rob can make a jump that will help. 

Archie’s message to the team should be “Our first two options on offense are gone, if you want one of those roles go earn it”

1 hour ago, HoosierAloha said:

2 things: 1) the answer to your question is almost certainly no. To me, the key is Rob becoming a guy who can consistently find the exploitable match up and get the ball there. If he can, there are guys who can make winning plays. 2) I like how you slid Brooks in there. 

5 hours ago, BGleas said:

That's kind of how I look at it, also.  Morgan will be a huge loss.  I don't personally believe Romeo will be as huge a loss as he would be a huge gain if he happened to return.   Franklin has a similar skill set; even as I don't think he'll put up the same numbers; and add Hunter and an improved, stronger, more experienced Phinisee/Durham; Romeo won't be missed nearly as much as Morgan's post offense and rebounding will.  Davis + Brooks is far better than the rest of the seniors, so I'm with you on this thought process.

If Deron is here and healthy, Race plays a full season, and TJD comes in ready to contribute, I think we’ll miss Morgan, but be fine. Phin playing a whole season as a sophomore will cover any guard losses, in my opinion. Brooks will be icing. I suspect next years team will be similar, but have a 20+ win season if healthy instead of what we saw this year.