Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Uspshoosier

(2019) PF Trayce Jackson-Davis to INDIANA

OT between Center Grove and Franklin.  At the end of regulation, it was Center Grove 25, Franklin 25.  Center Grove turned the ball over with 9.3 seconds to play, but Franklin missed a shot at the buzzer.  TJD has 21 of CG's 25 points.

FINAL:  Center Grove 29, Franklin Community 28. Indiana signee Trayce Jackson-Davis scores a game-high 25 to lead the Trojans to the Sectional 13 championship

OT between Center Grove and Franklin.  At the end of regulation, it was Center Grove 25, Franklin 25.  Center Grove turned the ball over with 9.3 seconds to play, but Franklin missed a shot at the buzzer.  TJD has 21 of CG's 25 points.
FINAL:  Center Grove 29, Franklin Community 28. Indiana signee Trayce Jackson-Davis scores a game-high 25 to lead the Trojans to the Sectional 13 championship

Definitely made it as hard as possible this year in the sectional. Lol. 3 sectional titles in a row

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Indy Star game article -

Franklin had the perfect game plan. Center Grove had Trayce Jackson-Davis.

The stage was set for Saturday night’s Sectional 13 final and it played out like the basketball equivalent of unstoppable force meets immovable object.

Franklin was good on Saturday night, leading by as many as nine points in the most hostile environment the Grizzly Cubs have been in all season. But Jackson-Davis was incredible, scoring 25 points in a 29-28 victory.

“If that’s what it takes to win, I’ll do anything for my teammates if that’s what it takes to win,” Jackson-Davis said.

The Trojans had seen this before. Stall ball. Opponents use it on Center Grove in an attempt to dictate the flow of the game, disallowing Jackson-Davis and the Trojans from getting out in transition.

Franklin was phenomenal in its effort. The Grizzly Cubs led 6-3 at the end of the first quarter and 17-9 at halftime.

“Franklin brought it to us. That was the toughest game we played all year,” Jackson-Davis said. “Honestly, I thought we were going home because they were putting it on us.”

The Grizzly Cubs threatened to push their lead to double-digits. But Jackson-Davis, who was already too much for Franklin, found his sixth gear.

The Indiana basketball commit scored eight straight points between the end of the third quarter and the beginning of the fourth to give the Trojans a 23-22 lead.

“Trayce dunks it whenever he feels like it,” Franklin coach Brad Dickey said.

While the Grizzly Cubs couldn’t find an answer for Jackson-Davis, they continued to overcome every adverse situation they encountered.

Franklin re-took the lead on its next possession, but Jackson-Davis was fired up.

The Grizzly Cubs had a chance to push their lead to three, but Jackson-Davis tipped a put-back attempt and grabbed the rebound. On the other end of the floor, he snuck by a Franklin defender and dropped in an emphatic dunk, screaming as he smacked himself in the head, flexing his arms in pure elation.

Still, Franklin gave itself an opportunity when Drew Byerly went to the line and tied the score at 25.

Center Grove then played some stall ball, using almost all of the final 1:45 to give itself the last shot. But Ben Nicoson lost control of the ball with 9 seconds left and the Trojans turned it over on a backcourt violation.

Byerly missed a would-be winner as time expired in regulation.

In overtime, Jackson-Davis was on the low block with about 1 minute remaining when he got a pass, spun with a drop step and dunked with one hand to give Center Grove the lead.

Center Grove held the ball late again, forcing a Franklin foul. The Grizzly Cubs twice sent Center Grove’s Spencer Piercefield to the foul line in the final 30 seconds of overtime. Piercefield, who twice left the game in the first half after vomiting mid-game, usually doesn't struggle at the foul line, but on this night he missed both attempts.

The Grizzly Cubs, with one timeout remaining, grabbed the rebound with just under 9  seconds left and rushed to the other end of the floor.

Franklin looked out-of-sorts, almost in shock that it once again had a chance to win.

Reece Thomson and Cody Mahler exchanged passes on the left wing before Mahler finally took off toward the lane.

The Grizzly Cubs had taken too much time. With players bunched around the 3-point line and no clear direction as to their plan, the Grizzly Cubs’ season ended with Mahler frantically dribbling toward the basket, unaware of the time remaining.

Franklin didn’t even get a shot up. Center Grove’s crowd erupted as the buzzer sounded while Mahler continued to drive toward the hoop.

“Our margin of error was just too small,” Dickey said. “We did a lot of things right and just a couple things wrong. I probably made a mistake and should have helped them with a timeout. We thought we would be better off to try and run it up and get something good ... I should have bailed us out (with a timeout) and I didn’t. It’s just completely silent in (the locker room). It’s not like we are a fluke. We won 19 games and had our fingers around (win) 20. They’re heartbroken. They’re going to struggle with this (the rest) of their life.”

Center Grove 29, Franklin 28, OT 

Center Grove 3 6 10 6 4 — 29

Franklin 6 11 5 3 3 — 28

Center Grove (19-8): Ben Nicoson 1 0-1 2, Ben Greller 0 0-0 0, Spencer Piercefield 1 0-2 2, Trayce Jackson-Davis 12 1-6 25, Lucas Doyle 0 0-0 0, Justin DeGraaf 0 0-0 0, Tayven Jackson 0 0-0 0, Cam Petty 0 0-0 0, Charlie Bemis 0 0-0 0, Caden Curry 0 0-0 0, Landin Hacker 0 0-0 0. Totals: 14 1-9 29.

Franklin (19-8): Cory Richards 5 3-5 13, Reece Thomson 1 0-0 2, Blaine Wentzell 2 0-0 5, Drew Byerly 0 4-8 4, Luke Miles 0 0-0 0, Cody Mahler 2 0-0 4, Christian McClure 0 0-0 0, Damon Dickey 0 0-0 0. Totals: 10 7-13 28.

3-point goals: Franklin 1 (Wentzell).

Halftime, Center Grove up 26-16. My very unofficial stats, as i missed the first minute, TJD with 10 points and 6 rebounds. 2-6 at the line.

I haven’t seen him a lot, so others can speak better on this, but he seemed to really struggle inside when going to his right. I know he is left handed, but the right hand looks to be something that will need a lot of work for next year. Is that what others have seen?

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Center Grove advances to the regional championship with a 65-40 win over Jasper and will play the winner of Bloomington South vs. Jeffersonville.  Per Peegs, TJD with 20 pts. and 11 reb. and sat out the last 10 minutes of the game.

Watched the end of the Center Grove vs South game and Trayce was dominating even with being double and triple teamed. At one point, he had personally scored as many points as Bloomington South had scored as a team. So glad he's a Hoosier.