Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

goonaha

(2019) PF Matthew Hurt to Duke

http://www.zagsblog.com/2018/06/10/as-matthew-hurt-stars-with-usa-basketball-he-plans-to-cut-list-this-summer/

“I’m going to cut my list after AAU season, so around August right now,” Hurt told me following the game. “Around seven or eight [schools], I think.”Hurt, who models his game after versatile NBA players like Kevin Durant and Dirk Nowitzki, plans to take official visits in “mostly September” and then make a decision by the early signing period in November.“We start high school season in November, so I’m trying to get it done mostly by then,” he said.

Adam Zagoria‏Verified account @AdamZagoria 

Roy Williams and Richard Pitino are among the coaches at the U18 semifinals in St. Catharines, Ontario for 2019 @HurtMatthew. Also assistants from Louisville, Kentucky, Indiana, Arizona, Michigan for guys like Hurt,

Not to mention TJD is also playing in this game.

6 hours ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Primarily discusses TJD's and Matthew Hurt's performance against Ecuador and includes video clips.

https://evzbasketballscout.wordpress.com/2018/06/15/bigs-highlight-team-usas-quarter-final-win-over-ecuador/

The sequence of Hurt & TDJ playing high low was a thing of beauty. I sure would like seeing them play together at Indiana. It may seem far fetched, but we’re leading with one and the other already has a former teammate at IU. I think the 2019 class will rank higher than 2018.

After their closest game this week, Team USA’s U18 men’s basketball team will play for a Gold Medal on Saturday.

Team USA defeated Argentina in the semifinal round of the 2018 FIBA Americas U18 Championship on Friday, 104-92. The 12 point win is Team USA’s closest margin of victory in five games at the FIBA Americas this week.  Coming into Friday, they had won their previous four contests by an average margin of 61 points per game.

Rochester, Minnesota native Matthew Hurt registered another double-digit scoring performance, scoring 16 points.  He added eight rebounds and blocked three shots in 27 minutes. Hurt has started all five games for Team USA this week.

Through 5 games Hurt is averaging 13.8 points and 5.8 rebounds while shooting 61% from the field.

Recap of Hurt's stats at the FIBA U18 tournament.

Hurt:

· Vs. Dominican Republic: 22 minutes, 12 points on 3-of-4 shooting, nine rebounds in 103-75 win.

· Vs. Panama: 19 minutes, eight points and eight rebounds in 118-26 win.

· Vs. Puerto Rico: 22 minutes, 12 points and one rebound in 115-71 win.

· Vs. Ecuador: 18 minutes, 19 points on 6-of-7 shooting and three rebounds in 132-55 win.

· Vs. Argentina: 27 minutes, 16 points on 7-of-11 shooting and eight rebounds in 104-92 win.

· Vs. Canada: 25 minutes, 17 points on 7-of-10 shooting, three rebounds in 113-74 win.

Hurt averaged 22.2 minutes, 14.0 points and 5.3 rebounds per game.

David Stol - MATTHEW HURT: UNDER THE RADAR

Just a few days ago, I returned home from the bustling metropolis of St. Catharines, Ontario after covering the FIBA U18 Americas Championships, an international tournament which helps determine which countries will be invited to the World Cup the following summer. It’s a high pressure situation for young prospects hoping to come out of it with a medal, qualify for the World Cup, and earn a scholarship from the NCAA scouts in attendance along the way. But when it was all said and done, out of the eight teams which qualified for the Americas tournament, the USA cruised through the competition, winning each game by an average margin of 49.3 points on route to a gold medal. It was a team driven by insurmountable individual talent, with five-star recruits such as Coby White, Tyrese Maxey, Cole Anthony, and Quentin Grimes (who went on to win MVP of the tournament) running the show.

But amidst these stars was Matthew Hurt, a lanky kid from Minnesota who outranks every single one of these aforementioned players yet remains one of the more understated talents on the USA roster. Hurt, a five-star recruit and the fourth-best player in the class of 2019, was never subject to the MVP chants like Grimes or Anthony. He didn’t blow away fans with his athleticism like Grimes and he didn’t fire up the USA bench with relentless trash talk like Anthony, but when you watch Hurt compete in person, you understand why he’s become so highly touted amongst scouts - he plays the game to near-perfection - also, to his advantage, his name is a lot easier to pronounce than Quamdeen Dosunmu’s, so that might help too.

I don’t mean to sound hyperbolic by saying he was near-perfect, but the intelligence and technique that Hurt displayed all tournament was unmatched. I get why Grimes won the MVP - his scoring and athleticism is entertaining and his role as the “veteran leader” makes a good narrative but Hurt is the one who manufactured the USA’s dominance on both ends of the floor. His impact can’t quite be measured by a box score, but his basketball IQ and decision making are all things that scouts notice.
“To me, I see a lot of Al Horford in him - you don’t understand how good he is until you really watch him,” said Clemson’s Assistant Coach and President of Basketball Operations Dick Bender. “He’s a 6’9” guard; he can pass, shoot, dribble, and defend little guys. He can really do it all for whatever team he’s playing for and he understands the game. That’s what’s going to set him apart in college. Everybody has talent on this team, but I want a player who’s going to understand the game when he’s going against other elite players, not just when he’s blowing out Panama.”

I think Bender nailed it. At 6’9”, 214 lbs., Hurt isn’t always the strongest player on the floor, but he was a dominant defensive presence on the interior and perimeter. With just an average leaping ability, Hurt’s rim protection comes from his length and impeccable timing under the basket, as he turned away shots with regularity. But what makes Hurt so special is his versatility on defence.  In the team’s semi-final matchup against Argentina, Juan Marcos, a tiny guard with a ridiculous handle and the flare of a young Ginobili, would see Hurt switch onto him and view it as a mismatch - it didn’t work out for him, not once. Marcos had been able to beat nearly all his competition off the dribble throughout the tournament and seeing the gangly 6’9” big man switched onto him probably felt like a guaranteed bucket. But Hurt’s length and lateral quickness not only stopped Marcos, but every other guard in the tournament. Andrew Nembhard and AJ Lawson, Canada’s star guards who played incredible through the week, couldn’t get past Hurt once in the finals. That type of versatility is rare, but it’s necessary if you want your big man to stay on the floor in the pick-and-roll game.

Offensively, he has an incredibly polished game. He can shoot from anywhere on the floor with a beautiful shooting stroke that looks like it was crafted by Larry Bird himself. His scoring totals didn’t blow anyone away throughout the week but putting up 14.0 PPG on 63.3% shooting with 11 other stars on the roster is nothing to scoff at. The skills and tools are there to be a dominant scorer, and that’s the most important thing for an 18-year-old.

“Matt does so much for us,” said USA Head Coach Bill Self. “He really lets us run a five-guard lineup when he’s playing center. His maturity and his understanding of the system is rare for his age but that’s what we expect in our program. I’m sure he’s getting a lot of attention from the scouts on the sidelines this week, but he’s blocked it all out. Matt helps us win basketball games and that’s all we’re concerned about at this point of the competition.”

But obviously, at 18 years of age, Hurt isn’t without his shortcomings. That quote from Self came right after Hurt and the USA faced off against 7’0”, 236 lbs. Argentinian center Francisco Caffaro in a closely-contested semi-finals matchup. Guarding Caffaro, a man so intimidating he could’ve easily played a henchman in a Bond film, proved to be a struggle for Hurt. Caffaro put up 22 points on 66.7% shooting from the field while only being forced into two personal fouls in the game. Caffaro certainly had his ups and downs throughout the tournament, but he seemed to be able to bully Hurt in the post on some occasions. Hurt certainly didn’t have a bad game, he didn’t have a bad game all week, but there were some bad moments. Then again, it’s hard to expect a legitimately flawless tournament from an 18-year-old going up against world-class competition.

Despite his defensive struggles that game, Hurt exposed Caffaro and every other center in the tournament on the other end of the floor. His ability to rebound and run the fast break immediately devastated teams all week. When I say he can pass, shoot, dribble, I don’t just mean he’s capable of it, I mean he does them all at an elite level. And these are all things that scouts have noticed for years. Hurt currently fields offers from 16 NCAA schools with still another year of high school to go, and many of those schools are top-level programs including full-ride offers from Duke, Arizona, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisville, North Carolina, Ohio State, Virginia, UCLA, and Wisconsin - the kid has more scholarship offers than Doogie Houser.

Hurt was a star-amongst-stars, less flashy than Grimes and less animated than Anthony, but a star nevertheless. We live in a sort of Ballislife era, where highlight tapes and internet virality seem to legitimize a player’s value more than his actual ability on the court. But just because you won’t see Hurt monopolizing your Instagram feed with monster dunks or killer crossovers, doesn’t mean he won’t be potentially the best player in the country after next season. This kid is special, so don’t be surprised in a couple of years when he’s eliminating your favourite team from the NCAA tournament and shaking Adam Silver’s hand as a lottery pick just months later - also don’t be surprised when I’m inevitably giving him hilarious nicknames like The Hurt Locker or Matty Ice. 

Zagoria -

Matthew Hurt’s college decision looms. On Saturday, some of college basketball’s marquee coaches sat courtside to watch Hurt score 29 points, grab 6 rebounds and record 6 assists as his D1 Minnesota squad beat Team Loaded (NC), 77-59, Team Loaded (NC) at the Adidas Gauntlet Finale at Basketball City.Among those in attendance were Duke’s Mike Krzyzewski, Kansas’ Bill Self and Minnesota’s Richard Pitino, as well as assistant coaches from Kentucky, North Carolina and Indiana

Hurt, a five-star, 6-foot-9 forward from Minnesota, ranks as the class of 2019’s No. 6 recruit on 247Sports.com. He’s received offers from some of the top school’s in college basketball, and says that he is currently considering Duke, North Carolina, Kentucky, Minnesota, Indiana, Memphis, Kansas and UCLA. “Those are the ones that have been with us forever and continue to work on us,” said Richard Hurt, Matthew’s father.

I just don't feel like Indiana is in a strong enough position yet to routinely land these five stars like a duke or a Kentucky. Now that being said if we have a really good season this year I think it will help for next year but maybe I'm wrong.

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

2 minutes ago, tortex28 said:

I just don't feel like Indiana is in a strong enough position yet to routinely land these five stars like a duke or a Kentucky. Now that being said if we have a really good season this year I think it will help for next year but maybe I'm wrong.

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

Look at where Kentucky was before they started to land them. 

3 hours ago, Hutch89 said:

I like the odds of him taking an official to Bloomington.  Beyond that, who knows?  There's stiff competition for a player of his caliber and skill set.  Wow, though, if he signs to play for Indiana...............

Edited by ray