Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

goonaha

(2019) PF Matthew Hurt to Duke

2 hours ago, Stuhoo said:

Interesting. In my opinion a school of that caliber does not offer this late in the process unless they think they've got a real shot.

They're bound to start getting more and more great shots at these high ranked kids, dang Jay Wright

They're bound to start getting more and more great shots at these high ranked kids, dang Jay Wright

They have got a 5* 4 of the last 5 years. They have done pretty well recruiting. Do they really want a bunch of one and dones when their model is working?

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

1 minute ago, mdn82 said:

They have got a 5* 4 of the last 5 years. They have done pretty well recruiting. Do they really want a bunch of one and dimes when their model is working?

i said they are going to get a lot more shots at them, and if he wants them he's going to get a lot more at the rate he's going. my comment was just a testament to what he's accomplished.

They have got a 5* 4 of the last 5 years. They have done pretty well recruiting. Do they really want a bunch of one and dimes when their model is working?

They all want the 5 star kids. It’s irresistible. How many you take and how many are motivated on winning IN college are the bigger factors.

They all want the 5 star kids. It’s irresistible. How many you take and how many are motivated on winning IN college are the bigger factors.

I think we both can agree Jay Wright looks for specific kids. He doesn’t care about rankings. If given the option of Kentucky classes or his I doubt he picks Kentucky. Maybe up until the first title but when you win two it validates what you are doing. I don’t recall him throwing a bunch of offers to one and done talent. No matter the talent I think he looks for a kid with a goal but there for Nova first. If that makes sense. A Demarcus Cousins or Anthony Davis may not fit as well what he is doing.

I want IU to win, consistently and at a high level, but if the only way to accomplish that was the Duke-Kentucky, "sell your soul" model it wouldn't be very appealing. I'm glad 'Nova has at least proven a more traditional path is still successful. Kentucky has these kids on campus for what, 9-10 mos? Half the things in my freezer are older than that. 

I want IU to win, consistently and at a high level, but if the only way to accomplish that was the Duke-Kentucky, "sell your soul" model it wouldn't be very appealing. I'm glad 'Nova has at least proven a more traditional path is still successful. Kentucky has these kids on campus for what, 9-10 mos? Half the things in my freezer are older than that. 

For sure. I don’t mean it to sound like I don’t want 5* talent. Like I said in an earlier post he has 4 in last 5 years. You always take talent. But that talent has to be there for a reason. There has to be mutual goals. He has done a very good job of identifying those players, and those players fit what they are doing. He really doesn’t throw around schollies to 5* players because of their status. If he could find five 5* that fit what they are doing he obviously would take that, but 5* are a different breed. They expect to be the man. More times than not they haven’t been told no or been yelled at. Their talents were better than the coaching they received in high school. It’s a fine line, but you have to have some 5* to win a title. I respect the hell out of Wright in this era.

http://www.zagsblog.com/2018/10/06/2019-matthew-hurt-names-core-group-of-seven-schools/

Again, odds are stacked and that's a tough group to run with. But it's obvious we've made an impression and we are indeed running with them.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Race will be a factor since he has been here a year and they’re friends. Ostrom has good relationships in the area. Arch has been recruiting him since he’s been here. If game day environments are important, you can’t get much better than IU. By landing Romeo and in the final stretch for KB and TDJ, I like our chances as much as anyone. Plus we have a big need for another 6’9” player. What a class Hurt would make with the other 3!

I not sure why we don’t have a reasonable chance:

Close friend at IU

Asst coach connection 

Great game day and game prep

We are likely a top 25 team when he watches us

And let’s not forget - We are in B1G country - family proximity much better than all but Minny for games at Mn, Iowa, and Wisky

2 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

I not sure why we don’t have a reasonable chance:

Close friend at IU

Asst coach connection 

Great game day and game prep

We are likely a top 25 team when he watches us

And let’s not forget - We are in B1G country - family proximity much better than all but Minny for games at Mn, Iowa, and Wisky

I think we've got a real shot. Obviously, only 1 of the bunch will land him, so it's slim for any 1 school at the moment.