Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

goonaha

(2019) PF Matthew Hurt to Duke

IU will never lose a coach in basketball to another school. If we did I will become the first to say we are a second tier school and I can no longer be a fan of the university where I got my degree. At that point we become what Gradman feels we are and I couldn’t waste my energy on it.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

This is a great point. Good way to put it.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

8 hours ago, mdn82 said:

IU will never lose a coach in basketball to another school. If we did I will become the first to say we are a second tier school and I can no longer be a fan of the university where I got my degree. At that point we become what Gradman feels we are and I couldn’t waste my energy on it.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Never say never.  Don't forget how close we came to having Knight go to New Mexico (obviously for a different reason).

10 hours ago, Brass Cannon said:

They didn’t take a step back they went down hill because of tubby. BG just wasn’t the guy to move them forward so they ditched him. 

If anything those two hires showed UK the way. Bad decisions over a decade ago don’t dictate their policy now. 

When Cal leaves coaches all around the country will get pay raises. Probably Achie and Holtmann tbh. 

Billy not winning and taking his non-sober tour around Lexington was Tubby's fault? 

I'm sure pUKe will have their short list and some of those coaches might get pay raises. I don't think Archie, is the "type" of guy who would want to coach at UK

3 minutes ago, HoosierHoops1 said:

Billy not winning and taking his non-sober tour around Lexington was Tubby's fault? 

I'm sure pUKe will have their short list and some of those coaches might get pay raises. I don't think Archie, is the "type" of guy who would want to coach at UK

Never said it was Tubbys fault?  But lack of winning was hardly new to the program so how could it be a step back

4 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

Never said it was Tubbys fault?  But lack of winning was hardly new to the program so how could it be a step back

That would bear my point out even further, if Tubby was also a mediocre hire. won only with slick rick's players, and the stepping back began with him, then continued to fall with their next poor hire BG.

Thanks

That would bear my point out even further, if Tubby was also a mediocre hire. won only with slick rick's players, and the stepping back began with him, then continued to fall with their next poor hire BG.

Thanks

No actually proves why you are wrong as I have already stated. You can’t claim that BG took them back by maintaining the status quo.  If you are you clearly don’t understand at least one of those phrases. 

Kentucky learned from their mistakes with Tubby. 

They went out and hired a stud or so they thought. He wasn’t a stud and they ditched him before he could drag the program down. They didn’t give him 9 years. 

Then they went out and got another stud. And they have done everything in the world to keep him since. 

Always hiring the right person doesn’t mean you are committed to winning. Firing a person when they are clearly wrong shows that. No hire is 100%. They gave BG less than 2 years because he was wrong. They were committed. 

2 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

No actually proves why you are wrong as I have already stated. You can’t claim that BG took them back by maintaining the status quo.  If you are you clearly don’t understand at least one of those phrases. 

Kentucky learned from their mistakes with Tubby. 

They went out and hired a stud or so they thought. He wasn’t a stud and they ditched him before he could drag the program down. They didn’t give him 9 years. 

Then they went out and got another stud. And they have done everything in the world to keep him since. 

Always hiring the right person doesn’t mean you are committed to winning. Firing a person when they are clearly wrong shows that. No hire is 100%. They gave BG less than 2 years because he was wrong. They were committed. 

He didn't maintain the status quo, Tubby won 76% of his games, BG less than 60%.

The "so they thought" part again is what I am saying. Kentucky hire BG, period. That's all that needs said. Kentucky DOES try to replace 1 coach with an equally awesome coach and fails. That was the point. Throwing money towards the next coach doesn't mean sUcK will have a winning program going forward.

I get your points, but they aren't about the original thought, and BG proves that UK isn't some magical wand-waving basketball program.

Also, don't be condescending in your posts, be an adult. 

He didn't maintain the status quo, Tubby won 76% of his games, BG less than 60%.

The "so they thought" part again is what I am saying. Kentucky hire BG, period. That's all that needs said. Kentucky DOES try to replace 1 coach with an equally awesome coach and fails. That was the point. Throwing money towards the next coach doesn't mean sUcK will have a winning program going forward.

I get your points, but they aren't about the original thought, and BG proves that UK isn't some magical wand-waving basketball program.

Also, don't be condescending in your posts, be an adult. 

You are crying about somebody being condescending after ending your previous post with a sarcastic thanks. Wow grow up. 

Tubby went 9-7 in the SEC and failed to get to the sweet sixteen his last two seasons. Without prospects for improvement. The status quo was not good. 

Just now, Brass Cannon said:

You are crying about somebody being condescending after ending your previous post with a sarcastic thanks. Wow grow up. 

Tubby went 9-7 in the SEC and failed to get to the sweet sixteen his last two seasons. Without prospects for improvement. The status quo was not good. 

It's fairly narrow to think of the status quo in 2 year bursts. Generally it's considering "normal" as opposed to a potential outlier of 1 moment.

You clearly don't understand one of those 2 phrases. (condescending)

Thanks (ribbing sarcasm)

Argh! 
Matthew Hurt por favor.

Why are we in poor favor with Hurt...?

On a serious note, if we do land TDJ do we still go after Hurt? We will be loaded with 4s and 5s in Davis, Moore, Thompson, Smith, Forrester, and Jackson-Davis. That's 6 players for 2 spots with several expecting major minutes. I just don't see us adding Hurt unless minutes are freed up somewhere. I get that you don't pass on a talent like Hurt but we'd need a few things to happen like Smith moving to the 3, someone leaving, and a player or two waiting another year to play more minutes.

17 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

Why are we in poor favor with Hurt...?

On a serious note, if we do land TDJ do we still go after Hurt? We will be loaded with 4s and 5s in Davis, Moore, Thompson, Smith, Forrester, and Jackson-Davis. That's 6 players for 2 spots with several expecting major minutes. I just don't see us adding Hurt unless minutes are freed up somewhere. I get that you don't pass on a talent like Hurt but we'd need a few things to happen like Smith moving to the 3, someone leaving, and a player or two waiting another year to play more minutes.

Given Archie’s preference for length, I can easily see Smith moving to the three, maybe even this year to get Fitz into the starting lineup.

Like you said; a chance at Hurt (or Stewart) won’t be passed up, and yes, something has to give if either come.

Given Archie’s preference for length, I can easily see Smith moving to the three, maybe even this year to get Fitz into the starting lineup.

Like you said; a chance at Hurt (or Stewart) won’t be passed up, and yes, something has to give if either come.

Agreed. If we somehow land Hurt or Stewart and of course TJD we have to be top 10 easily and potentially a top 5 team to start the season. Few if any teams could match our skilled length. Shooting being the most obvious concern as of today. But that is something I feel improves with natural progression of whom we currently have.

55 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Well yeah. Smith, Juwan and Fitzner will be the starting front court

While I can only guess how the recruiting strategy goes for the staff, I wonder if when a player verbals they then do a little re-prioritizing of the remaining recruits.  How does Franklin's verbal change who they go after hardest?  How would a TJD verbal (or signing) change how hard they go after any of the players waiting until spring?  Hopefully by the time November has come and gone, we have at least 3 signatures on paper and Archie can focus based on need and current list of future Hoosiers.

29 minutes ago, pumpfake said:

While I can only guess how the recruiting strategy goes for the staff, I wonder if when a player verbals they then do a little re-prioritizing of the remaining recruits.  How does Franklin's verbal change who they go after hardest?  How would a TJD verbal (or signing) change how hard they go after any of the players waiting until spring?  Hopefully by the time November has come and gone, we have at least 3 signatures on paper and Archie can focus based on need and current list of future Hoosiers.

Yes. It will be nice going into spring being selective, rather than scrambling.