Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

LIHoosier

ESPN OTL: IU's Lack of Treatment

Long 'Outside the Lines' piece on IU's lack of medical treatment/care. The piece focuses on a former women's rower but also expounds on a couple of football players who were the main talking points on Wilson's departure hence why I placed this in the football section.

http://www.espn.com/espn/otl/story/_/id/19211268/concerns-how-injured-indiana-university-athletes-were-treated-athletic-medical-staffers-went-hoosiers-football

7 hours ago, iubb said:

Honestly, this should be in the basketball board if you want more people to view the thread... at least IMO

It isn't about the basketball program........ based on your logic every topic should be thrown into the basketball section of this site. There are different sections for a reason

Edit: Or at least the most documented, made public involves the football program

23 minutes ago, ThompsonHoosier said:

I don't like how ESPN focused on IU specifically; considering these types of things happen at every major program in the country. Why not investigate other schools as well? Wasn't Beckham fired from Illinois from mistreating players as well?

Pretty sure that coverage of its own. 

I have mixed feelings on this article. What I got out of the article, it was more a training issue, than a coaching issue.

I also say that, because while out in CA for the bowl game, I had the chance to talk with a player's mother.  This particular player, was a walk on, before getting a scholarship.  He also spent much of one year injured.  The mother was very complimentary of the care, and more importantly the way Coach Wilson treated her son. 

I know that one case of bad treatment is one to many, but from my conversation what happened to the Coaches, just doesn't add up.  Why in the heck would the Coach treat a walkon with more care and concern than a scholarship player?  Again, I don't mean to imply that treating anyone badly is a good thing.  But to me common sense says the walkons are the ones that would get the lousy treatment.  They aren't expected to me major contributors.

2 minutes ago, jmsgws said:

I have mixed feelings on this article. What I got out of the article, it was more a training issue, than a coaching issue.

I also say that, because while out in CA for the bowl game, I had the chance to talk with a player's mother.  This particular player, was a walk on, before getting a scholarship.  He also spent much of one year injured.  The mother was very complimentary of the care, and more importantly the way Coach Wilson treated her son. 

I know that one case of bad treatment is one to many, but from my conversation what happened to the Coaches, just doesn't add up.  Why in the heck would the Coach treat a walkon with more care and concern than a scholarship player?  Again, I don't mean to imply that treating anyone badly is a good thing.  But to me common sense says the walkons are the ones that would get the lousy treatment.  They aren't expected to me major contributors.

I agree it sounds more like a training issue, but to me it would make more sense to treat the walk-ons better. Most coaches probably get more upset when someone on scholarship isn't playing because they are taking up a spot someone else could've used while a walk-on is essentially a wash,

To your last point, there's a lot less need/pressure to get a walk on player back on the field than a contributor/starter.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

I still kind of feel like Wilson got screwed over, but if Allen ends up being a better coach I won't be upset about it. 
I fully expect Wilson to try and drop 50+ on us in the season opener. 

I have not followed this much but have heard similar thoughts. My question for whether Wilson got screwed is this, what reason would FG have for doing this? Wilson had gotten us to two bowls, some fun play to watch and a reasonable looking future. Why make a coaching change if you are Indiana?

Did FG think Allen was going to leave and was better than Wilson? Maybe but why risk what you of from Wilson for what might be in Allen?

I have assumed that if the reasons for dismissing Wilson were minor he must have given FG other reasons to move on this. Attitude, hard to work with, substance- who knows but when the math does not add up there are usually unknown variables in play. If so, then some of that falls on Wilson as well.

As patient as FG was with Crean, his quick trigger with Wilson was odd and probably was based on some unusual circumstances

I have assumed that if the reasons for dismissing Wilson were minor he must have given FG other reasons to move on this. Attitude, hard to work with, substance- who knows but when the math does not add up there are usually unknown variables in play. If so, then some of that falls on Wilson as well.

Part of it could've been all the previous problems Wilson has had involving alcohol. His involvement in this may turn out to be minor but when you factor it in with some of the other issues you have to cut bait imo.

8 hours ago, 8bucks said:

I have not followed this much but have heard similar thoughts. My question for whether Wilson got screwed is this, what reason would FG have for doing this? Wilson had gotten us to two bowls, some fun play to watch and a reasonable looking future. Why make a coaching change if you are Indiana?

Did FG think Allen was going to leave and was better than Wilson? Maybe but why risk what you of from Wilson for what might be in Allen?

As patient as FG was with Crean, his quick trigger with Wilson was odd and probably was based on some unusual circumstances

I don't really think Glass was the one who screwed him over. I think he was in a tough spot and had to make the call. It seemed to me like it was a few disgruntled players who came forward with these allegations to spite him, based on all the players coming out in Wilson's defense after he got fired and speaking out against what the few former players were alleging. 

15 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

I don't really think Glass was the one who screwed him over. I think he was in a tough spot and had to make the call. It seemed to me like it was a few disgruntled players who came forward with these allegations to spite him, based on all the players coming out in Wilson's defense after he got fired and speaking out against what the few former players were alleging. 

A million people can like you but it doesn't change anything if you do something horrible 

11 hours ago, Hovadipo said:

Glass did Wilson a *major* favor by making the change how it was done. It could've gotten ugly.

It was a good thing for both parties involved. Imagine if (as some people alleged) the parents of some of the mistreated players had decided to sue the university? That would have been a bad look for the program AND for Wilson.

I'm glad to see him go and glad FG made the call.  

The guy had 6 years and he went 26–47.  The last coach that was there longer then 6 seasons was Mallory.  If he has any say with OSU's offense they will lose at least one game because of his stubbornness.  

Just my opinion.