Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

Ria Gulley Transferring Out

HOOSIER SPORTS REPORT

Freshman Ria Gulley will transfer from Indiana, according to a release from the program Wednesday.

Gulley, a guard from San Antonio, Tex., is the second player to leave the program this offseason. Redshirt sophomore Tia Elbert announced two weeks ago she will graduate early and forgo her final two years of eligibility with IU.

On the year, Gulley produced 3.1 points per outing on 37.4 percent shooting.

“Ria met with me and expressed her desire to leave Indiana to move closer to her family,” IU head coach Teri Moren said in a statement. “We are grateful for the contributions she made to our program and wish her well in her future endeavors.”

Gulley added: “I’m extremely blessed to have received the opportunity to play at Indiana University. I’m nothing but thankful for the hospitality shown. However, I need to be closer to my family.”

Of this year’s freshmen class, Gulley seemed poised to have the most immediate impact. In the preseason, Moren called the 5-foot-9 combo guard the most athletic player on the roster.

Gulley went on to avearage 13.6 minutes per game, the most of IU’s three freshman, but her court time did fluctuate behind starters Tyra Buss, Alexis Gassion and Karlee McBride. Inserted into the starting lineup versus then-No. 20 Michigan, Gulley closed out the regular season with five minutes in a double-overtime win over Iowa and then two minutes at Illinois.

In fact, some of Gulley’s more memorable highlights as a Hoosier came on the bench. She once used a towel to jump rope during the Purdue game in January, a show of sideline enthusiasm Moren admired. It was also a notable contrast from Gulley’s otherwise stoic demeanor around the team.

“It’s funny, when the lights come on at Assembly Hall there’s another Ria Gulley that appears,” Moren said in February. “We don’t get to see that side of her often because she’s in practice and if you travel with her, on the bus, playing with her, she’s very stoic. Most of the time she’s asleep, she loves her sleep. There’s something about her being at Assembly Hall because she doesn’t bring that type of energy on the road.”

The absence of Gulley only adds to mounting turnover in the backcourt. Without Elbert and Gulley, and with the graduations of Amber Deane, Tyshee Towner, Gassion and McBride, new faces will have to populate the space around Buss.

A highly touted ’17 class does offer a surplus of guards, including Jaelynn Penn (Louisville, Ky.), Bendu Yeaney (Portland, Ore.) and Keyanna Warthen (Fort Lauderdale, Fla.). A lack of returnees, however, does place added pressure on one or two of those freshmen to assimilate quickly.

1 minute ago, JSHoosier said:

My goodness it seems like there's been a lot of transfers in Moren's short tenure.  Brooks, Agler, Muensterman just off the top of my head; Brooks was good and Agler was pretty solid in her own right especially before her shot broke.

But weren't those 3 immediate xfers after Moren took over the program and not her recruits?  I haven't researched it and I could be totally off base but if I'm correct, transfers out when a new coach is hired isn't all that unusual.  Now if we get a number of Moren recruits leaving this year as Hoosierfan31 hinted at that's a whole different issue.  

1 minute ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

But weren't those 3 immediate xfers after Moren took over the program and not her recruits?  I haven't researched it and I could be totally off base but if I'm correct, transfers out when a new coach is hired isn't all that unusual.  Now if we get a number of Moren recruits leaving this year as Hoosierfan31 hinted at that's a whole different issue.  

They weren't Moren's recruits.  Brooks and Agler were already on the team and Muensterman was in the same class as Tyra Buss.

Brooks, agler, muensterman, liz stratman (who strangely decided to forgo her last eligibility after sitting out). Kaila hulls quit at semester, claire jacibucek sp?, Lindsey leikem and tia elbert grad transferred, jess walter and ria gulley. Hate to say it, but there seems to be something going on..but it may be my paranoia

Sent from my SM-G920V using BtownBanners mobile app

5 minutes ago, Hoosierfan31 said:

Brooks, agler, muensterman, liz stratman (who strangely decided to forgo her last eligibility after sitting out). Kaila hulls quit at semester, claire jacibucek sp?, Lindsey leikem and tia elbert grad transferred, jess walter and ria gulley. Hate to say it, but there seems to be something going on..but it may be my paranoia

That's a pretty lengthy list.

I was thinking there was something because it seemed like there had been several transfers.

Makes you wonder what the real reason was. I know you have to be nice at least until release is granted because the school has the power to deny you schools ect. For example Dominique mcbryde wanted to play close to home but versyp eliminated every d1 program in indiana within 5 hours if her home. Leave it to Sharon versyp to show you what's wrong with the system by exploiting any way she can

On 4/19/2017 at 5:36 PM, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

A 5'9" freshman guard from San Antonio, TX, indicated a desire to be closer to home.  Gulley averaged 3.2 points per outing on 37.4 percent shooting in 2016-17.

C9zkjqXV0AA_iqY.jpg

20 minutes ago, Hoosierfan31 said:

More troubling things on twitter..not a good look for recruits ect to see19fc1b27c4a691aa78f835b87f1a69bb.jpg

When did southern Virginia get close to Texas?