Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

There's no such thing? Maybe no such a thing as I'm the only person on the planet who thinks it's important. (surely no one thought that) but there is definitely such a thing as people doing something because they have individual choice and no amount of likely-hood to the contrary will change that.

I rarely choose anything based on broad strokes.

I don't like Sushi. I'm not eating Sushi. Done.

Many times as a student at IU I was the only non-black in the bar. I individually chose to go there and the broad stroke didn't paint me away. 

What would be the point of mentioning that people make decisions based on what they think? It only makes sense in a "everyone is different" kind of way. Of course people make their own decisions; it doesn't need to be said.

You aren't the only one who doesn't like sushi and if you're deciding not to go to a restaurant because they serve mostly sushi, so are others.

Also, yeah, going to a predominately black bar demonstrates what I'm talking about. Did you have a wide selection of choices where to go if you wanted to go to a bar that was predominantly black?

Maybe this was because I lived on campus all of undergrad, but to me the campus kind of felt like a separate town from Bloomington. Idk if that makes sense, but like although I knew that Bloomington has its problems I felt isolated from them because I spent the vast majority of my time on campus. There was Bloomington, and there was IU, but the two felt separate and distinct to me.  I've never really thought about IU's lack of diversity being a hindrance in recruiting because it has always seemed really diverse to me. I went from living in small town USA to being around people from all sorts of countries and backgrounds, so it didn't occur to me that it would feel non-diverse to other people. It's definitely interesting to think about. 

Are you white?

13 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

Is IUs campus any less diverse than Duke, Hooker U, UNC or UK?

I'm not picking a side on this debate, but all four of those universities have a higher percentage of black students than IU from the data that I can find. Duke obviously is a way smaller school so the raw # is smaller than IU. 

I'm not picking a side on this debate, but all four of those universities have a higher percentage of black students than IU from the data that I can find. Duke obviously is a way smaller school so the raw # is smaller than IU. 

Can you easily share the data? Curious myself how all the schools we compete with stack.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

IU: 4.4%
UK: 7.8%
Duke: 9.9%
UNC: 8.1%
UL: 10.2%

Wouldn't that be slightly offset by enrollment?

UL: 22,640 (2,309)
UNC: 22,084 (2,355)
Duke: 14,832 (1,468)
Puke: 30,131 (2,350)
IU: 48,514 (2,134)

That's not really a significant difference in population. However, I could see the surrounding area (Bloomington) being different.

5 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

Wouldn't that be slightly offset by enrollment?

UL: 22,640 (2,309)
UNC: 22,084 (2,355)
Duke: 14,832 (1,468)
Puke: 30,131 (2,350)
IU: 48,514 (2,134)

That's not really a significant difference in population. However, I could see the surrounding area (Bloomington) being different.

Just FYI, all the percentages I posted were out of undergraduate enrollment. IU's diversity report listed 1437 African American undergraduate students and 451 students who listed African American within reporting as "two or more races". 

And the college experience goes off campus. There are more people of color driving around and desensitizing police so maybe you aren't the one pulled over today. When you want to go to a bar with people like you and playing the music you listen to without being a novelty, you have options.

You could spot Yogi in almost any bar in Bloomington effortlessly. He has no similar faces to blend with. Just like someone who knew Hoosierhoops probably noticed him easier. Some players value at least a degree of anonymity.

And a hundred other things that I don't even have the cultural context to notice.

Folks, please please don't misunderstand me. I'm not saying anything about you, IU, or whatever that it's something to feel guilty about or intentional or racist or anything like that. It's recognizing a different experience on a broader scale than we're used to. The differences do exist, however you feel about it.

When people talk about "white privilege," that's all they're talking about. Getting to go on a lily white campus and find it diverse, getting to blend into a crowd, getting to not think about any of this stuff, is gain. There's nothing inherently wrong with it, it just is. I'm glad I have it (and you should be too), I just want others to have it too.

It sounds tacky and so 2017, but watch some YouTube reactions to the Black Panther trailer for a slice of the different cultural experience. Grown men crying because a major movie studio is making a major movie with heroes that look like them and their kids.

You can't ignore the role campus and city diversity plays in recruiting. IU does a great job considering, they give a lot of opportunities for blackness and being proud in it, but I dated a light skinned black girl for a year in undergrad, and even the second-hand muffled experience was startling. Whether positive or negative, people notice you.

For some guys that will be a positive, they want to make an entrance everywhere, for others it will be a negative. Just like everything else in the world.

31 minutes ago, MartintheMopMan said:

When people talk about "white privilege," that's all they're talking about. Getting to go on a lily white campus and find it diverse, getting to blend into a crowd, getting to not think about any of this stuff, is gain. There's nothing inherently wrong with it, it just is. I'm glad I have it (and you should be too), I just want others to have it too.

I feel that. My hometown is about 98% white and foreign exchange students were the only diversity I really experienced throughout junior high/high school. I got to IU and it wasn't as white so it felt really diverse. It wasn't really until I took this diversity elective that I started to realize that for some people they come here and feel out of place/see little diversity. 

Cal leading the US to defeat against the mighty Canadians, hopefully Romeo sees the coaching ability. 

Rj Barrett is a stud for Canada and if he reclassifies to 2018 will be the number 1 pick next year but that's no excuse to lose this game

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners