Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

8 minutes ago, MoyeNeeded said:

Don't see how in the world that we would ever give up on Romeo to IU! He has done absolutely nothing to indicate that we are out of the race. Too many on here assume that just because Cal is coaching him this summer that he is a pUKe lean. That could work against Cal just as well. Romeo is a smart kid and is not going to say the `wrong' thing to the press about his thoughts of the guy determining his minutes or his college choices until he is ready. I still feel it is a UofL/IU battle. Nothing or no one influencing my thoughts. Just my feeling. I love all of these people `hearing' things!

Sent from my SM-G930P using BtownBanners mobile app

Giving up and reprioritizing are 2 very different things. 

Agreed. But when it is the BEST player in your state, and one of the BEST in the the country...there should be no reprioritizing, period! It's not like we are spending any exorbitant amount of time or recruiting dollars to keep him here in Indiana. And if so, so be it. Romeo could be a game changer for our program. Not necessarily for his play, but the mere fact that we land one of the best that may ever come out of this state. I know we said the same things about CZ. And I also know it depends alot on our coaching staff putting our players and our program consistently in a position to contend for a title. Langford could be the 1st domino to fall and help bring on the mindset that will get CAM the players needed to put us in that position.

Agreed. But when it is the BEST player in your state, and one of the BEST in the the country...there should be no reprioritizing, period! It's not like we are spending any exorbitant amount of time or recruiting dollars to keep him here in Indiana. And if so, so be it. Romeo could be a game changer for our program. Not necessarily for his play, but the mere fact that we land one of the best that may ever come out of this state. I know we said the same things about CZ. And I also know it depends alot on our coaching staff putting our players and our program consistently in a position to contend for a title. Langford could be the 1st domino to fall and help bring on the mindset that will get CAM the players needed to put us in that position.

6 minutes ago, nixie said:

Just a general question.... how involved can current professional players get with recruiting?  Dipo, CZ, etc...

It depends on if you're Kentucky or UNC or if  one of the other 300 plus schools.

4 hours ago, nixie said:

Just a general question.... how involved can current professional players get with recruiting?  Dipo, CZ, etc...

I believe if a current pro is enrolled in classes he can be much more involved with recruits. UNCheat comes to mind. Has Vic graduated yet?

Lexington, Kentucky isn't exactly an intellectual hotbed either.

Purdue, IU, OSU, MSU, and U.K. all have near identical, and abysmal, diversity index ratings., however, likely reducing the impact. But, there's a stark difference between being in a small city with 60k other PoC and being in Btown with 6k. Bloomington is not diverse at all. Lexington is at least on par with the nation as a whole (unless you're Hispanic).

For another useful datapoint; if you grew up in a black church, in which city are you most likely to find a similar and familiar place of worship?

Purdue, IU, OSU, MSU, and U.K. all have near identical, and abysmal, diversity index ratings., however, likely reducing the impact. But, there's a stark difference between being in a small city with 60k other PoC and being in Btown with 6k. Bloomington is not diverse at all. Lexington is at least on par with the nation as a whole (unless you're Hispanic).

For another useful datapoint; if you grew up in a black church, in which city are you most likely to find a similar and familiar place of worship?

For the record, I don't know that it has any effect on recruiting, but to see this whole thread implying that Bloomington doesn't have a problem with race is a total bummer. You can't fix what you refuse to see.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

19 minutes ago, MartintheMopMan said:

True: People of all backgrounds often want to be where they feel a cultural connection. Bloomington has a better feel in that respect for foreign students than many campuses. For US citizens of color? Not so much.

Not at all a deal breaker and not true to form for Lilburn, GA native  Al Durham, but probably no accident that Justin Smith from Lincolnshire, Illinois and Clifton Moore from Horsham Hatsboro, PA felt at home. 

Image result for  horsham hatsboro high school

Image result for stevenson high school basketball team photo

23 minutes ago, MartintheMopMan said:

Purdue, IU, OSU, MSU, and U.K. all have near identical, and abysmal, diversity index ratings., however, likely reducing the impact. But, there's a stark difference between being in a small city with 60k other PoC and being in Btown with 6k. Bloomington is not diverse at all. Lexington is at least on par with the nation as a HOLE (unless you're Hispanic).

Fixed it for you.

6 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Not at all a deal breaker and not true to form for Lilburn, GA native  Al Durham, but probably no accident that Justin Smith from Lincolnshire, Illinois and Clifton Moore from Horsham Hatsboro, PA felt at home. 

So, like most everything else, it's up to the individual.

5 minutes ago, HoosierHoops1 said:

So, like most everything else, it's up to the individual.

Well...true as a very broad brush, but also true that people of all backgrounds tend to want to congregate where they have some cultural connection. Individuals can differ, but relevant information is also valuable in understanding a situation.

2 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Well...true as a very broad brush, but also true that people of all backgrounds tend to want to congregate where they have some cultural connection. Individuals can differ, but relevant information is also valuable in understanding a situation.

Absolutely.

People try to determine what someone else is going to do, based on their ethnicity and culture. I'd rather just assume they decided based on the individual factors that they and only themselves, found important.

Absolutely.
People try to determine what someone else is going to do, based on their ethnicity and culture. I'd rather just assume they decided based on the individual factors that they and only themselves, found important.

There's no such thing as an individual factor only you feel is important. You can assign personal values to factors, but the broad strokes won't change.

We speak so much about the rich culture and tradition of IU and how it should win us top-25 recruits even when we're losing in the NIT, but the culture and tradition of IU isn't all peonies. I would be surprised to learn it wasn't a significant factor for any recruits lost in the recent past and in the last year, has become more salient than ever.

Speaking personally, I don't live in Indiana due, in large part, to this and similar cultures, and I'm an upper-middle-class white straight male who loves basketball. I can't imagine how isolating and discouraging it is for those more frequently experiencing a culture-clashing.

All that being said, we aren't privy to how recruits assign their personal values and trying to predict it is informed guesswork. A lot of people following recruiting would be better off if they took the time to develop simple and honest pro and con lists from the perspective of the player to identify potential areas of friction.

1 hour ago, MartintheMopMan said:

There's no such thing as an individual factor only you feel is important.

There's no such thing? Maybe no such a thing as I'm the only person on the planet who thinks it's important. (surely no one thought that) but there is definitely such a thing as people doing something because they have individual choice and no amount of likely-hood to the contrary will change that.

I rarely choose anything based on broad strokes.

I don't like Sushi. I'm not eating Sushi. Done.

Many times as a student at IU I was the only non-black in the bar. I individually chose to go there and the broad stroke didn't paint me away. 

3 hours ago, MartintheMopMan said:

For the record, I don't know that it has any effect on recruiting, but to see this whole thread implying that Bloomington doesn't have a problem with race is a total bummer. You can't fix what you refuse to see.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Maybe this was because I lived on campus all of undergrad, but to me the campus kind of felt like a separate town from Bloomington. Idk if that makes sense, but like although I knew that Bloomington has its problems I felt isolated from them because I spent the vast majority of my time on campus. There was Bloomington, and there was IU, but the two felt separate and distinct to me. 

I've never really thought about IU's lack of diversity being a hindrance in recruiting because it has always seemed really diverse to me. I went from living in small town USA to being around people from all sorts of countries and backgrounds, so it didn't occur to me that it would feel non-diverse to other people. It's definitely interesting to think about. 

9 minutes ago, HoosierHoops1 said:

Many times as a student at IU I was the only non-black in the bar. I individually chose to go there and the broad stroke didn't paint me away. 

What bars were you going to? I went out most weekends as a student and can say I never saw a bar with even half black-to-white ratio.

8 minutes ago, VO5 said:

What bars were you going to? I went out most weekends as a student and can say I never saw a bar with even half black-to-white ratio.

Just west of Rogers, between 2nd and Kirkwood.