Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

19 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Agree that we don't need an immediate impact player in 2018.
However, I betcha betcha betcha that Al Durham beats out CuJo and/or DeVonte. Maybe by the start of this season!

I'm all for meritocracy. If Durham can do that, then great. Cujo seems to be putting in some work and looks to be hungry. I won't be counting him out. I do like Al's length though. I'm definitely excited to see how things play out this season. We finally have a coach that I think can win with consistency. 

I'm all for meritocracy. If Durham can do that, then great. Cujo seems to be putting in some work and looks to be hungry. I won't be counting him out. I do like Al's length though. I'm definitely excited to see how things play out this season. We finally have a coach that I think can win with consistency. 

Al can defend.
Al can get to the rim.
Al can pass.
Al has a good handle.
Y'all gonna like Al.

I don't think the issue is our recruiting, I think the issue is with our fan base. Anytime a kid visits either officially or unofficially it's like some assume that we are going to get the kid and then have a meltdown when they go elsewhere. Especially when it's kids we have got in late with.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

1 hour ago, Stuhoo said:

Al can defend.
Al can get to the rim.
Al can pass.
Al has a good handle.
Y'all gonna like Al.

I believe we're going to really like Al. I'm just not sure he'll convert people as quickly as you think, but I'd love to see it.

16 minutes ago, Dalton26 said:

I don't think the issue is our recruiting, I think the issue is with our fan base. Anytime a kid visits either officially or unofficially it's like some assume that we are going to get the kid and then have a meltdown when they go elsewhere. Especially when it's kids we have got in late with.

To be fair we were on even ground with Bazley. But otherwise for this class yes I would agree. 

Agree that we don't need an immediate impact player in 2018.
However, I betcha betcha betcha that Al Durham beats out CuJo and/or DeVonte. Maybe by the start of this season!

Maybe..
Green, Jones, Durham, Morgan, Davis

Durham has the length to guard wing players if he adds a little bulk. We'll need a few 2018 guards who can contribute off the bench if we do go three guards though. That would leave Davis, Morgan, Moore, and Smith for the 4/5. Add a Race Thompson type 2018 and it'd give more options for Smith to play the 3 and 4.

8 hours ago, Dalton26 said:

This is not true. What about our recruiting over the past 5 years would make anyone think this?

IMO it will be reasonable to start to form an impression of archie's recruiting abilities with the 2018 class.

This is not true. What about our recruiting over the past 5 years would make anyone think this?
IMO it will be reasonable to start to form an impression of archie's recruiting abilities with the 2018 class.

The last 5 years further proves my point. Not entirely sure what point you were making though.

LOL, it's just JULY and my faith is fizzling.

It's actually funny to laugh at myself.

Hard to see us getting Dort, Garland, Romeo, King.

Predictions: Dort to Oregon, Garland to Duke, Romeo to Duke/UK, and King to UK.

Guess I'm going to have to be content with whatever we get and pull my head out of the clouds once again.

(Two months of recruiting delusions were fun while they lasted).

Phinisee, Hunter types aren't going to get me going. Will just have to wait and see.

You better not have been one of the guys complaining about Crean not landing Indiana guys. Phinesee and Hunter seem like 4 year guys that would be the backbone of a program. Not 5 star kids obviously, but high quality, homegrown talent that we've yearned for recently.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

You better not have been one of the guys complaining about Crean not landing Indiana guys. Phinesee and Hunter seem like 4 year guys that would be the backbone of a program. Not 5 star kids obviously, but high quality, homegrown talent that we've yearned for recently.

You round out a class with guys like that vs rounding out a class with Prillers and Aprils. There is a big difference. We will need some star power and that likely means some 5* or high 4* or players that play at that level. I want Phinisee etc but not as the highlight of our recruiting class

You round out a class with guys like that vs rounding out a class with Prillers and Aprils. There is a big difference. We will need some star power and that likely means some 5* or high 4* or players that play at that level. I want Phinisee etc but not as the highlight of our recruiting class

While mostly true that has been the biggest beef of most IU fans. We don't recruit locally enough. We can't have it both ways. Either we recruit the state and truly go inside out or we don't. I am a proponent of taking BPA. But the problem is you naturally hurt the feelings of the state kid when you don't recruit him hard enough. There are enough area teams to use that as ammo to swing that player to another local team. Again you either go BPA or inside out. You can't use Indiana kids as a backup. It won't work. Enough schools where if they aren't the first option they go elsewhere.

We don't have any recruits on board this year yet, but I don't think the past few months could've gone any better for Archie with the team. Where we are right now is really the best case realistic scenario we could've hoped for back when Crean was first fired.  

Archie was able to "recruit" all three freshmen to stay at IU and get Collin to come back for a 5th year that no one thought was going to happen. I mean Hartman went through senior night, proposed to his girlfriend during it, the while 9 yards. It was a foregone conclusion that he wasn't coming back and Archie got him to. Archie was able to keep everyone on the roster from last year besides the 3 NBA guys, and Gelon too if you want to count him. I'm not worried at all about where we're at as a program. 

We don't have any recruits on board this year yet, but I don't think the past few months could've gone any better for Archie with the team. Where we are right now is really the best case realistic scenario we could've hoped for back when Crean was first fired.  
Archie was able to "recruit" all three freshmen to stay at IU and get Collin to come back for a 5th year that no one thought was going to happen. I mean Hartman went through senior night, proposed to his girlfriend during it, the while 9 yards. It was a foregone conclusion that he wasn't coming back and Archie got him to. Archie was able to keep everyone on the roster from last year besides the 3 NBA guys, and Gelon too if you want to count him. I'm not worried at all about where we're at as a program. 

Yep I already think he did things Crean couldn't do. OG, Tom, and James were gone regardless. Getting Colin back, as well as getting Davis to stay in Bloomington during the summer were both huge for the success of the upcoming season. I feel critical to the 2018 success was keeping the 2017 class in tact. People tend to lose site of the people who are here when there is a potential shiny object in front of us.

I think this class is a special case though.  Only 1 really high level player. Yeah we can give Jallow a spot for a year but likely he will get recruited over and never see the court. 

Doing what's right for the kids is also important. 

I think this class is a special case though.  Only 1 really high level player. Yeah we can give Jallow a spot for a year but likely he will get recruited over and never see the court. 

Doing what's right for the kids is also important. 

Generally agree, and I think we all need to move past the mention of Jallow. It seems pretty clear that Archie, Ed, and Bruiser do not think he will be a player that they want. It's far more likely that Aaron Henry or Eric Hunter come back into the equation with an IU offer.

Yeah, I've never been one that beats the "Recruit Indiana kids only" drum.

Get the best kid for the program and treat them right. Don't tell them lies. Don't make promises you can't fulfill.

I want Indiana to be a destination school where the States best want to play at IU. I want us to contend for National championships. Strictly recruiting Indiana likely won't allow that on a consistent basis. (Except a class like Oden/Conley or Lyle/Blueitt/Blackmon).

At some point if we want to be on the level of these other schools we have to match them in recruiting. The Villanova, UNC, Arizona model seems more like a fit then UK or Duke.

To narrow it down, I'd love to recruit like Arizona. We'd always have a chance.

I'd take Anderson and Romeo from the state to start a recruiting class and then fill in the gaps later with kids like Phinisee or Hunter.

I agree that you take the best fit for your program and go from there. A roster full of Indiana and surrounding states would be great if we're consistently competing for a B1G and national title. I don't see that happening year in and year out though.