Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

opiej

Archie Miller's staff at Indiana will be Bruiser Flint, Tom Ostrom (Dayton) and Ed Schilling (UCLA),

21 minutes ago, nixie said:

2016-17 Men's Basketball Coaching Staff

COACHES 
EXPAND
Comar 16-17

Bill Comar
Director of Basketball Operations

Bill Comar, a former assistant coach at Loyola University, was one of the first hires by coach Archie Miller to be the director of basketball operations when Miller was named coach at the University of Dayton.

Comar is returning to the Hilltop for the second time.  He worked on Oliver Purnell’s staff at UD from 1997-2001, two years as an assistant and two as director of operations.

He then was director of operations for seven years at Xavier under Thad Matta and Sean Miller, Archie’s older brother.

Comar worked one season in 2008-09 at Loyola before becoming the director of strategic development for Pro Camps Worldwide, an international event management company which assists professional athletes with the development of their personal sports camps and related events.
Prior to his first stint at Dayton, the Wilmette, Ill. native was on staff at Miami (Oh.) for four years as basketball administrative assistant and academic advisor.

In 18 years at the college level, Comar’s teams have reached the postseason 14 times.

Before attending Kenyon College, he played on the New Trier High School team that advanced to the Elite Eight in the Illinois State tournament.  He played three seasons at Kenyon and graduated magna cum laude in 1993 with a B.A. in Psychology and a minor in Sociology.  He received his M.S. in Sport Studies from Miami in 1995. 

Well I think that's a confirmation. Comer is the new DOBO at IU.

I trust Archie completely, but idk if I like the Cromer hiring if it happens. DOB isn't a HUGE spot, but it is used for younger guys or ones with connections a lot to help draw in talent. I didn't necessarily want an Indiana guy for the spot, but it would have been nice to get someone with some high school powers connections. Dayton wasn't killing it on the recruiting trail. Changing your shirt only does so much when it comes to assistants. Need to be proven. We will see how it works out though.

Sent from my LGLS676 using BtownBanners mobile app

I put my trust in the fact that Archie knows what he's doing.

Sent from my SM-G900V using BtownBanners mobile app

I think he does. The best guy for the job isn't always the one with the most impressive resume. He seems to be filling his staff with quality coaches that he has prior relationships with. I think his staff will work well together.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Now I know nothing is official but I seen in one of Archie's interviews he stated that the staff would have some Dayton flavor to it.
http://www.indystar.com/story/sports/columnists/gregg-doyel/2017/04/05/doyel-archie-miller-isnt-tempering-expectations-hes-raising-them/100075914/

PULL THE TRIGGER!!!!

37 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

Comar is Archie's right hand man. Comar might be the only person more detailed then Archie. Comar has always done all of the scheduling along with Archie, and their already working on IU's. He is very good at what he does.

^^^THIS^^^ 

Don't want to recognize this? Then you should not be a fan of the Archie hire, because Comar is what it's all about for CAM.

I will give Archie some leash here---he is coming into a situation from the outside and I would expect him to want to have a couple guys on the staff that he knows are good, proven and loyal. Let him bring a couple of buddies from Dayton---who have helped him win in the past. I have no problem with it as long as we get at least one IU or Indiana high school guy on the staff too. Sorry-- but I do expect that and will be disappointed if it does not occur....Go Archie!

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

1 hour ago, rebelhoosier848891 said:

I will give Archie some leash here---he is coming into a situation from the outside and I would expect him to want to have a couple guys on the staff that he knows are good, proven and loyal. Let him bring a couple of buddies from Dayton---who have helped him win in the past. I have no problem with it as long as we get at least one IU or Indiana high school guy on the staff too. Sorry-- but I do expect that and will be disappointed if it does not occur....Go Archie!

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Elston is already on staff and I'm starting to doubt we get another IU guy unless Archie has offered a pay raise and an associate head coach title to either Lewis or Fife and they are trying to decide whether or not to accept the offer. Truthfully I think Archie wanted Groce and now he is trying to find the best fit possible in his opinion to fill out the staff.

5 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

Ed Schiling will be the last assistant coach coming over from UCLA. What a staff with Olstrom, Flint, and Schilling with Elston & Comar. Good things in our future. I have no sources just things I'm hearing

Why would Schilling leave Alford's staff, and why would IU want him?

Just now, Tom White said:

Why would Schilling leave Alford's staff, and why would IU want him?

He's been wanting to get back to the midwest for a while. He knows Indiana well with being the coach at both Park Tudor & Western Boone. Knows the Millers well. Also coached at UMASS with Bruiser Flint so he knows him. Was also an assistant with New Jersey Nets. 

33 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

He's been wanting to get back to the midwest for a while. He knows Indiana well with being the coach at both Park Tudor & Western Boone. Knows the Millers well. Also coached at UMASS with Bruiser Flint so he knows him. Was also an assistant with New Jersey Nets. 

Wow - didn't realize he knew the Millers or worked with Flint. Sounds very plausible.

Apparently worked with Calipari too after doing some Google research.

1 minute ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Wow - didn't realize he knew the Millers or worked with Flint. Sounds very plausible.

Apparently worked with Calipari too after doing some Google research.

I believe he & Sean are very close. Was in Sean's wedding or something like that.