Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

opiej

Archie Miller's staff at Indiana will be Bruiser Flint, Tom Ostrom (Dayton) and Ed Schilling (UCLA),

This guy? If so wow, great hire. If so hes trained multiple superbowl champions and probowlers.
http://www.ignitionapg.com/index.php/about-ignition/our-staff-2/clif-marshall/

If it is that guy, why would he leave all the NFL work to do this?

On the other hand, the bball team may have to share him with the fball team.

Been gone all day and just catching up.  Several have mentioned negative reports on Schilling and I'll admit to being a poster who has very mixed emotions about a Schilling hire and I've made my feelings known in various threads over the past month.  I had dealings with Schilling probably 20+ years ago when he was coaching HS ball in Indiana.  Didn't like his character or how he handled himself and IMO he and Alford are a match made in heaven when it comes to character.  I want to emphasize there was never any wrongdoing of any kind, but when you deal with the public day in and day out as I did in my working career you get a sense for the type of person you're dealing with and Schilling just didn't pass my character test.

While I'm less than enamored with having Schilling on our sideline, I have faith in CAM and support his hires in the belief he knows these people far better than I do and he's thoroughly looked for any skeletons in their closets.  

So Clif Marshall is proven enough to be on any sideline pro or college, Schilling has constantly landed too recruits, Ostrom is a great coach with ties to Billy D, Cromer though I am not as sold as others but seems to be solid and possibly Bruiser who is a great x and o guy and then talk of Jordan Hulls coming here!! Idk if Jordy does but man if that is the staff and Elston as well then we have a top 5 staff in the country period. Archie is doing awesome so far.

Making Garland and Romeo priorities like they should be and also making in roads with Phinisee and Hunter. He has proved myself as well as many others who out him on their wish list and was excited about the hire that he was the perfect hire.

It is Miller Time!!

Sent from my LGLS676 using BtownBanners mobile app

For some reason I was thinking it was a month. Not 100% on that, but thought I heard that.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Would someone just head over to AH and pull it down please. Unless the Broom Lady is still considering, 2 wks is more than enough time.

Sent from my XT1585 using BtownBanners mobile app

4 hours ago, Chris007 said:

He's been wanting to get back to the midwest for a while. He knows Indiana well with being the coach at both Park Tudor & Western Boone. Knows the Millers well. Also coached at UMASS with Bruiser Flint so he knows him. Was also an assistant with New Jersey Nets. 

Schilling also married his asst coach at Park Tudor (former Miss Basketball).She is from Indiana too. That Park Tudor situation sounds like a mess from beginning to end. Don't know what Schilling is really like.

Wow---I try to work for a half a day and all this new info comes comes in.....man Archie is out to get a homerun staff and it looks like he is putting the full court press on to get Romeo--who is a program changer in the mold of Zeller and Yogi--lots of hard work to be done but Archie is definitely committed to winning sooner rather than later. He is showing me something In that he has the "testicular fortitude" to challenge UCLA for their main recruiter. I love it. Skip the rebuild and get to the winning!

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

So Clif Marshall is proven enough to be on any sideline pro or college, Schilling has constantly landed too recruits, Ostrom is a great coach with ties to Billy D, Cromer though I am not as sold as others but seems to be solid and possibly Bruiser who is a great x and o guy and then talk of Jordan Hulls coming here!! Idk if Jordy does but man if that is the staff and Elston as well then we have a top 5 staff in the country period. Archie is doing awesome so far.

Making Garland and Romeo priorities like they should be and also making in roads with Phinisee and Hunter. He has proved myself as well as many others who out him on their wish list and was excited about the hire that he was the perfect hire.

It is Miller Time!!

I am not to worked up about who Archie puts on his staff. It does seem like a stretch to me to say that Bruiser is great at X and Os. As a former coach I think he would be stronger than someone doing this for the first time, but wondering what you have seen to think he is great at this.

I am not to worked up about who Archie puts on his staff. It does seem like a stretch to me to say that Bruiser is great at X and Os. As a former coach I think he would be stronger than someone doing this for the first time, but wondering what you have seen to think he is great at this.

Let's just act like for a minute Bruiser isn't a good coach. With the other additions it makes no difference, but he is the all time winningest coach at Drexel. Idc where it is if you hold any programs record for wins in D1 then you have to be good. How good is what stops those people from going to bigger schools. Just cause he didn't end up coaching at a high program means nothing when we are talking about a assistant coach and not even our top 1 or 2 assistants. Point is he was good enough to win a lot at Drexel and it wasn't a 300-400 record and just got it by coaching a long time. From what I have seen on twitter, Drexel fans said he was a good x and o guy but was too old school to get any program changing recruits. They said he was tough minded and instilled discipline. Being from Philly that is probably true. If he was our top assistant then maybe I would question it, but Ostrom and Schilling will be above him and maybe even Cromer. I think he will have a positive impact on our bench and honestly any guy Archie picks, he has my confidence. Most of you just want names. Names don't always get the job done and these are assistants not our coach.

29 minutes ago, 8bucks said:

I think calling it a stretch is being generous.  I have a difficult time believing a guy that barely won half his games, anywhere, is a great Xs and Os guy.

I think most of you guys wanted, John Groce, Lorenzo Romar, Ed Schilling, John Calipari as our recruiter, Mike Woodson and maybe a couple more qualified guys.

You need one good/great recruiter, a solid x and o guy that can help you make adjustments and someone who can keep the kids conditioned at a top level. The rest are guys that you can trust, that won't make the job harder by having different kinds of opinions to where your constantly being questioned.

All of our opinions are nice to note but we shouldn't question a guy being paid 3.5 million dollars before we have even played a game or any official announcements of any of these guys

Anybody who gets to being a head coach is probably a great X and Os guy when looking at film.  Like Crean we he had hindsight to look at film he seemed to understand what happened.  He just couldn't adjust during the course of a game.  

I think some people are under the impression we should be going trying to steal Head Coaches as our asst. Assistants typically have a few areas that they focus on. Archie is obviously the General and will steer the ship but these guys will focus on areas Archie wants them to focus on.

Many assistants are really good assistants and get their shot as HC and find out they're just better at being assistants. That doesn't mean they suck at all. Many Def. And Off. Coordinators are great at their job but not so good when they get HC positions.

I am excited about this staff and absolutely can not wait for next season. This is an amazing feeling to finally see IU making the steps to become a tourney regular and begin the process to be ourselves in the FF conversations.

I think some people are under the impression we should be going trying to steal Head Coaches as our asst. Assistants typically have a few areas that they focus on. Archie is obviously the General and will steer the ship but these guys will focus on areas Archie wants them to focus on.

Wait. Did you say "General"?!?!

Wait. Did you say "General"?!?!

I did. I'm not comparing him to Knight or calling him the next "General" just saying he's in charge and will be making the calls and having his guys do what he wants them to do.

No one get too carried away with that.