Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

ccgeneral

#IUBASE - 3 game series @ Purdue

I have confirmed my knife landed at its ended target and in Lemonis' back hopefully at end of season. I'm not going to elaborate but an important person who was unaware of our struggles now is aware and is not happy and will pay closer attention to our issues. That is all I am saying.

As I said if we can get Tracy back I'd take him in an instant but realistically I would go with Ty Neal which is who I wanted 1st time Smith left. To me Tracy would be Billy Donovan (ideal but unlikely) while Neal is Archie Miller (solid hire but not quite that). 

An important note from tonight's game also that's related: All the PU fans were talking about how their sellout tonight was so unusual and place is half full usually. For IU a full house is just another regular Saturday crowd on a nice night that is expected. I'd like to keep it that way before Lemonis destroys things.

Still fun to see their new stadium and while nice, slightly inferior to ours as I said before with lack of outfield picnic area, being smaller and no turf.

14 minutes ago, Fkfootball1 said:

ASU fans want Smith out. Badly. Ty Neal has done absolutely zilch at Cincinnati.

Sent from my SM-G935P using BtownBanners mobile app

If that is really the case I'll take Tracy in a second but I'm not getting my hopes up since while this year has been bad he did well his 1st 2 years.

Also don't sleep on Neal. That Cincy program is the equivalent of our football program and despite a top line stadium almost no one goes to games and people barely know they exist in Cincy. I think Neal would do much better here and has actually improved team somewhat last 2 years from the trash they were when he got there. If not go across town and grab Scott Googins at Xavier who has done a nice job there in a stadium that is arguably worse them Sembower was and is a former IU and Tracy Smith assistant.

5 minutes ago, Fkfootball1 said:

Tracy Smith got the vote of confidence from the AD. Him and ASU is eerily similar to Crean/IU. Fans are flooding the AD with e-mails and getting canned responses in return. Some of the fans are threatening to not renew season tickets. They are all over Tracy.

Sent from my SM-G935P using BtownBanners mobile app

Over a bad year this year that is not even over? He made tourney last year (as well as year before) and got them to final game of regional. That seems a bit harsh. I don't remember our fans turning that quickly on Crean. However, if ASU fans are that stupid I'll take Smith back in a second. Just not counting on it.

16 minutes ago, Aaron said:

Over a bad year this year that is not even over? He made tourney last year (as well as year before) and got them to final game of regional. That seems a bit harsh. I don't remember our fans turning that quickly on Crean. However, if ASU fans are that stupid I'll take Smith back in a second. Just not counting on it.

You have to remember this is considered one of the best baseball jobs in the country, much like how we view our basketball program. They went 36-23. That would be like if our basketball team went 19-13 and lost in the second round. They're 2-9 in their conference. There's still half a season left, but I'm sure they expected to be much better than this by now.

2 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

Would Smith come back? Would you feel comfortable that he'd be here for awhile or leave for the next big job?

Fair question. Maybe he's learned that grass isn't always greener on other side of fence if he came back. Also he turned down several other jobs before bolting so its not like he jumped to get out of here and had the job 9 years. That would be a risk I would take to get him back. Just not sure it's realistic.

Also does this make anyone nervous about Archie? He had similar success at Dayton, Smith had here. If ASU is to big for Tracy does that worry anyone this job could be to big for Archie as the 2 situations are fairly similar?

Since no one is updating today I'll provide a few but am leaving soon and no TV today so I am doing this from the live stats and only for a bit. it's 1-1 after 3.5 innings.

19 hours ago, Aaron said:

Fair question. Maybe he's learned that grass isn't always greener on other side of fence if he came back. Also he turned down several other jobs before bolting so its not like he jumped to get out of here and had the job 9 years. That would be a risk I would take to get him back. Just not sure it's realistic.

Also does this make anyone nervous about Archie? He had similar success at Dayton, Smith had here. If ASU is to big for Tracy does that worry anyone this job could be to big for Archie as the 2 situations are fairly similar?

Yes, it's a risk so I am a little concerned about that. Miller wasn't one of my top picks but I like what he's doing so far (retaining players, bringing in a strong staff, etc) so we'll see. Atlantic 10 isn't the B1G, but a good coach should succeed, especially with the resources IU offers.