Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

WayneFleekHoosier

A spin on our returning roster/recruits

I'm not a fan of kicking kids off, asking them to leave, etc.  But, for the sake of the discussion,....

I want 13 kids who want to play basketball at Indiana and for Coach Miller.  Blackmon is playing for Blackmon.   That's just who he is.  Johnson's the same way.  Neither of them showed even a slight interest in playing defense this season. I put part of that on Crean, but most on the kids.   Gelon is a kid who was recruited to help as an upper classman if anything.  I have no idea why Priller is here.  None.  

Last year's team proved it could go 18-16.  People always fall in love with their own teams....how will we ever succeed without James Blackmon?  The reality is, this next season is important for one reason and one reason only.....  To establish a new culture.   James Blackmon is not the kind of kid - and he's proven it over 3 years - who fits the culture of what Miller wants to do. He is anything but a "nasty defender."  Yes, he can score; but he does not help his team win.  Great scorers frequently play for bad teams.   Blackmon makes nobody else better.  He looks for his own opportunities first.  He has a negative Assist : TO ratio.Yes...a very capable scorer and an efficient offensive player.  Doesn't mean he fits.  I'd rather have a kid like Durham who has committed now to a coaching staff he understands and has gotten to know,  A clean slate may be best for the program.  Keeping and playing guys like Blackmon  or Johnson may benefit the team next season, but I'm not sure I think it would be good for the program long term.  Maybe that's unpopular; but Miller would score a lot of points with me if he started next season without those two guys for the sake of his long term vision.

I know some will say he can get Blackmon and Johnson to play defense or do thing differently; but personally, I would rather start with a clean slate.

I'm not a fan of kicking kids off, asking them to leave, etc.  But, for the sake of the discussion,....
I want 13 kids who want to play basketball at Indiana and for Coach Miller.  Blackmon is playing for Blackmon.   That's just who he is.  Johnson's the same way.  Neither of them showed even a slight interest in playing defense this season. I put part of that on Crean, but most on the kids.   Gelon is a kid who was recruited to help as an upper classman if anything.  I have no idea why Priller is here.  None.  
Last year's team proved it could go 18-16.  People always fall in love with their own teams....how will we ever succeed without James Blackmon?  The reality is, this next season is important for one reason and one reason only.....  To establish a new culture.   James Blackmon is not the kind of kid - and he's proven it over 3 years - who fits the culture of what Miller wants to do. He is anything but a "nasty defender."  Yes, he can score; but he does not help his team win.  Great scorers frequently play for bad teams.   Blackmon makes nobody else better.  He looks for his own opportunities first.  He has a negative Assist : TO ratio.Yes...a very capable scorer and an efficient offensive player.  Doesn't mean he fits.  I'd rather have a kid like Durham who has committed now to a coaching staff he understands and has gotten to know,  A clean slate may be best for the program.  Keeping and playing guys like Blackmon  or Johnson may benefit the team next season, but I'm not sure I think it would be good for the program long term.  Maybe that's unpopular; but Miller would score a lot of points with me if he started next season without those two guys for the sake of his long term vision.
I know some will say he can get Blackmon and Johnson to play defense or do thing differently; but personally, I would rather start with a clean slate.

Don't get why you believe Johnson isn't playing for Indiana. That claim doesn't seem to have a defensible base.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

2 minutes ago, Walking Boot of Doom said:

Don't get why you believe Johnson isn't playing for Indiana. That claim doesn't seem to have a defensible base.

Did you see his defensive effort last season?   Next to zero.  Ironic given your last comment; and if you paid attention at all, it's more than "defensible."  Like I said...many fans defend their own...just because.  I rest my case.

Did you see his defensive effort last season?   Next to zero.  Ironic given your last comment; and if you paid attention at all, it's more than "defensible."  Like I said...many fans defend their own...just because.  I rest my case.

Last season Johnson looked like he did not fit. Who knows, after 3 years he may not have had any respect or interest in playing for Crean. Maybe with a new coach he finds renewed interest and becomes a big contributor.

We did fire a coach after all.

3 hours ago, Old Friend said:

Lol, no Gelon wasn't. Gelon was recruited because Crean got too antsy any time he had a scholarship available. Gelon will never be a B1G caliber player. He is exactly the same as Priller, give me JBJ every day of the week over Gelon since he can actually do things besides hope the other guys get him a wide open shot

I really wish that most of the Crean players would be gone and with them the I am entitled attitude. If you look at the culture of the program over the last 5 years is it really what you want at IU. With Miller in charge sure things will look different, but with Creans recruits season could get ugly.

Seems as IU fans we want a coach to make players accountable and put me in that camp. So if coach pulls a couple of these cry babies out of the game for lack of effort against a low rung opponent such as Stony Brook U and OMG they get embarrassed, will the pc police show up and defend the player? Or will the fans stand and cheer for a coach finally after 17 years willing to do the right thing?

I also see a scenario that could turn out really well, but with the culture that has been established at IU over the past years getting rid of at least 40 percent of the current roster would have been best for all.    

30 minutes ago, the possum said:

I really wish that most of the Crean players would be gone and with them the I am entitled attitude. If you look at the culture of the program over the last 5 years is it really what you want at IU. With Miller in charge sure things will look different, but with Creans recruits season could get ugly.

Can't disagree more with the player comment.  These are high quality kids.  The change of leadership is what was needed and I'm fairly optimistic that by season opening these guys will be a hard working, fully functional Miller-time unit. 

Did you watch him during his first two seasons? All effort. If you want to right him off, go right ahead. Some people think they know everything. I rest my case.