Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

reconmkd

Who's declaring/transferring around NCAA 2017?

Are we really going to need more than 3 major contributors in a 3 guard offense? That's 80 minutes divided by 3. Archie has never been one to go 10 deep. We might get a McSwain or McRoberts to get a couple of minutes here and there at the 4. I am not sure we have a need there this year.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

We're also relying on 3 players who've been at IU a combined 7 years and have only had one or two years completely healthy. Those 80 minutes should ideally be closer to 100+ minutes. We're going to be undersized if we're playing a 3 guard lineup for the majority of the game. Our main guards go 6-0, 6-2, 6-3, and a thin 6-4. Against some of the better teams in the B1G we'll be at a height disadvantage. A game has never been won or lost to height but it helps.

If we do end up with another player coming off scholarship I'd like to see CAM get a big in the grad transfer sweepstakes. Having Hartman, Morgan, and McSwain playing strictly the 3 and 4 will be beneficial. It'll also help Smith and Moore to develop instead of being thrown into the fire.

That was Archie in the A-10, entire different ball game than the Big 10. Plus, while Davis had some nice flashes as a freshmen, he's not exactly proven in big minutes and is a guy who conditioning has been a problem for. I think a real backup 5 would get plenty of minutes and be a pretty big need. Whether there's one available or not, I don't know. 

Was it a conditioning issue or a stylistic issue? Crean was subbing guards out in 5 minutes due to his style of play. Plus his practices were notoriously rough. Crean had them play and practice fast without a purpose. Archie has discussed the need to focus on details. I anticipate changes in some aspects. One of which is a style in which we practice and play that doesn't result in sapping everything out of our team by February. I hope.

8 minutes ago, mdn82 said:

Was it a conditioning issue or a stylistic issue? Crean was subbing guards out in 5 minutes due to his style of play. Plus his practices were notoriously rough. Crean had them play and practice fast without a purpose. Archie has discussed the need to focus on details. I anticipate changes in some aspects. One of which is a style in which we practice and play that doesn't result in sapping everything out of our team by February. I hope.

I was talking about Davis specifically. Last year he was not in condition enough to play 30+ minutes. While he'll be better conditioned this year, and our pace should be slower , I still don't expect him to be a 25+ minute guy. 

9 minutes ago, mdn82 said:

I'm not too worried about that since Archie is a former player. He's been through grueling practices and knows how draining they can be, so I can't see him putting the guys through em late in the season. 

I was talking about Davis specifically. Last year he was not in condition enough to play 30+ minutes. While he'll be better conditioned this year, and our pace should be slower , I still don't expect him to be a 25+ minute guy. 

Oh I agree about last year. He came in late last year. He was just a step behind conditioning all season. Archie seems very high on him. We had flashes. I do expect him to be around that 25-28 guy this year. Maybe that's where we differ. I think he takes a huge step forward. His game just oozes potential in the right system.

4 hours ago, Tom White said:

Care to spill the beans on this? Seems nobody else knows anything about it.

Could be nothing, but another board says his academics aren't the greatest right now.  I guess we'll just wait and see here.

Could be nothing, but another board says his academics aren't the greatest right now.  I guess we'll just wait and see here.

That would be weird cause most basketball players take less of a class load in the spring. The summer portion is just starting. He would know by now what he got in the spring. If he needed to raise GPA in the summer it wouldn't be hard.

Let you go. Anyone this quick to judge a 21 year old trying to make major life decisions is lacking understanding. Don't want nor need as part of our fanbase.

So you feel better now? To add context to an opinion-his dad announced a week ago and apparently that didn't line up with his desire to control the information. Also, a 21 year old playing at a high level school should comprehend and/or be aware of what he actually is as a player. Nothing stood out about his game and said this is pro material. Basing this off of the last 3 years. Perhaps this lack of awareness is what contributed to such poor results?
But let's keep coddling the baby's- I am sure that works at some level.

So you feel better now? To add context to an opinion-his dad announced a week ago and apparently that didn't line up with his desire to control the information. Also, a 21 year old playing at a high level school should comprehend and/or be aware of what he actually is as a player. Nothing stood out about his game and said this is pro material. Basing this off of the last 3 years. Perhaps this lack of awareness is what contributed to such poor results?

Hot damn might've been a little too far. I completely agree that's zero part of his game is NBA ready, but high school level? Come on man he's been a solid contributor on a power 5 team that won their conference. He could easily make a living over seas.

Hot damn might've been a little too far. I completely agree that's zero part of his game is NBA ready, but high school level? Come on man he's been a solid contributor on a power 5 team that won their conference. He could easily make a living over seas.

Apologies- meant "high level D1 program"

This may already be posted but have you guys seen the news on Jaquan Lyle?? Arrested back May 13th for punching a bar door and then a police car. Then a reporter asks someone within the program about it and supposedly he hasn't been with the program since April 11th. Because he's quit? He has posted on social media that he is coming back and committed to O$U for the 2017-18 season since "quitting in April 11th". What a mess at O$U

6 hours ago, indy317219 said:

It's like you don't actually understand how things work.

1) Anyone who's worked in PR will tell you to control the information. His dad should have known better than to speak for him as he is making "adult" decisions.
2) It does not matter what level you believe he can play. The process allows him to receive unfiltered feedback from the NBA and people in the NBA who's opinions actually hold merit and carry weight.
3) There's a difference between coddling and not judging someone when you don't have complete or accurate information.

38 minutes ago, reconmkd said:

Well I figured the flood of returns was coming, but didn't allow enough time at work yesterday to edit the list. The list is now updated as of 7:30 this morning.

Where is this list? page 1 of this thread?

11 hours ago, AKHoosier said:

Not intentionally trying to be a voice of doom and gloom but that could be another reason Davis is staying in B'town this summer to work on his academics and not just his basketball skills.

The deadline is 5 p.m. today and Swanigan STILL hasn't made up his mind? Or has he made up his mind and just hasn't made it public? I don't recall many players actually waiting until the final hours. (I did see that Edwards will be back with the Toiletmakers -- no surprise there). 

41 minutes ago, LamarCheeks said:

The deadline is 5 p.m. today and Swanigan STILL hasn't made up his mind? Or has he made up his mind and just hasn't made it public? I don't recall many players actually waiting until the final hours. (I did see that Edwards will be back with the Toiletmakers -- no surprise there). 

I think he'll be back. Purdue already has their basketball roster out for next season and he's listed on it.