Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Brass Cannon

So what is the incentive to being a clean program?

For many years UNC had players take fake classes to stay eligible and the NCAA hasn't done anything about it. I would be concerned if people weren't complaining about it. 

Exactly. You ever notice nobody in academically ineligible anywhere anymore.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

It's quite simply a choice in how you want to conduct yourself; personally, and as a basketball program:

• Cutting corners and gravitating toward the edge of the page is ultimately unsatisfying. For those that have done so, few are ultimately glad they did.
  • For those who conduct themselves in a way that they can look back with pride, few regret their integrity. 

Holier than though? Nope; not expecting the program to be flawless; not expecting the program to ignore measures and activities that are allowed. However, I am very much hoping and expecting for a program that is confident that, if people knew what was going on behind the scenes, they would come away more impressed, not less.

And don't for a minute think it can't be done or doesn't get done: Florida under Donovan, Butler under Stevens, IU under Knight (minus the coach's anger issues, perhaps), Nova under Wright. Michigan under Belien, are just a few examples that immediately come to mind.

I would argue that what Carolina did was worse then Louisville.
If an (allegedly prestigious) University like NC commits gross academic fraud, that cuts to it's very purpose for existing. At least at Louisville it was only the basketball program, not (as far as I know) the school itself. Granted laws and rules were broken and they most certainly should (but we all know won't) be severely punished. 
UNC should get a version of the death penalty. Make them field a team of all walk-ons for 2-3yrs. 0 Scholarships.
The NCAA literally just rewarded cheating, not likely that will be a disincentive to others.

If they give the bball team no scholarshipsthey will prob just do what Miami did back in the day and offer them track scholarship

If an (allegedly prestigious) University like NC commits gross academic fraud, that cuts to it's very purpose for existing. At least at Louisville it was only the basketball program, not (as far as I know) the school itself. Granted laws and rules were broken and they most certainly should (but we all know won't) be severely punished. 
UNC should get a version of the death penalty. Make them field a team of all walk-ons for 2-3yrs. 0 Scholarships.
The NCAA literally just rewarded cheating, not likely that will be a disincentive to others.

Unc will getting nothing. Zero. Roy is untouchable and he knows it. Pitino is also untouchable.

When people start making big money off of anything, principles and morality fly out the window. The involvement of shoe companies, agents, and AAU programs make it almost impossible to operate within the current rules and be a top tier program. 

2 hours ago, recker222000 said:

Exactly. You ever notice nobody in academically ineligible anywhere anymore.

Except MSB... he missed a couple of games this past season for some bogus deficiency because he has a double major...

I don't really believe in the having to dip into the grey areas to be successful. With the right coach and sound team fundamentals even average to slightly above average players sprinkled with 1 or 2 maybe top 100 guys can be successful. I mean look at Butler's back to back final games. They did that without all the bells and whistles of hamburger boys! I think that CAM is the type of coach that can take a group of guys that are not necessarily Elite mix with some top players and make huge runs with a solid base of defense and offensive efficiency! It takes a total buy in from every player on the team and each player knowing what their role IS. We had a team loaded with potential this year, but the position-less scheme absolutely tore them apart. You have to have a role and you have to believe that the coach is going to put you in the best position to win.

When people start making big money off of anything, principles and morality fly out the window. The involvement of shoe companies, agents, and AAU programs make it almost impossible to operate within the current rules and be a top tier program. 

Yep and dont self report period.

What North Carolina did was absolutely worse than the scandal at Louisville. We're talking about an entire academic institution that graduated students with made up majors. That's way worse than prostitution. And like you said, it was just the basketball program with Louisville. But even then, it wasn't academics related. Academics is the biggest thing when it comes to college programs. If a student can't get it together in the classroom, he shouldn't be able to play

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

I'm with you. I expect our student athletes to be students, first and foremost. Do what we have to do recruiting the right players. Just no hookers.

Behind this. I want our kids to show up to class, but we have to ask if we did pay these kids, why would they think they had to go to class? That is the border of all this talk.

I would like to get 9-10 kids that truly care about both aspects, but I would not be upset if we had a kid or two that we had to do what it took to get. Part of it though for me would have to be still being a student athlete or the benefits stop. Then you worry about word getting leaked because their upset they have to go to class.

It is a messy situation and I may not be behind it as much as I was last night due to watching UNC cut down the nets. College kids should be paid though with the amounts of money each school makes off of them.

If Archie found a way to do it right, I wouldn't complain, but I would also love to win 100% the right way. Character of the kids still make the most difference to me. I don't want kids that completely don't care about anything other than the NBA or ones that have no interest in school. The NBA should be a goal, but a goal they need IU to help reach.

Sent from my LGLS676 using BtownBanners mobile app

28 minutes ago, Hoosier Guy said:

What North Carolina did was absolutely worse than the scandal at Louisville. We're talking about an entire academic institution that graduated students with made up majors. That's way worse than prostitution. And like you said, it was just the basketball program with Louisville. But even then, it wasn't academics related. Academics is the biggest thing when it comes to college programs. If a student can't get it together in the classroom, he shouldn't be able to play

And don't forget, this wasn't a small blip for a year or two, this went on for 15-20+ years. This fake major thing goes all the way back to Dean Smith. It's appalling how the sports media essentially ignores it too. 

Yep it is a disgrace and i dont recall how it found out. The ncaa is
dragging this out as long as possible in hopes people forget about it. Make no mistake nothing will happen to mens bball at nc. Roy will retire as a hero to nc fans and national media. If you have no morals cheaping pays

1 hour ago, recker222000 said:

Yep it is a disgrace and i dont recall how it found out. The ncaa is
dragging this out as long as possible in hopes people forget about it. Make no mistake nothing will happen to mens bball at nc. Roy will retire as a hero to nc fans and national media. If you have no morals cheaping pays

I fear that you're right. Ol' Roy won't have anything done to his program

Coca Cola Roy had Kansas in trouble when he left with his academic advisor to UNC. The Willingham report uncovered these athletes were steered towards these classes. Essentially, this advisors job was to help ball players cheat academics. Happy my paper doesn't have UNC on it.