Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Brass Cannon

So what is the incentive to being a clean program?

Just now, HoosierAloha said:

Every major contender has some dirt. It depends on how much you're willing to play in the mud. The NCAA makes too much money off these programs to punish the contenders. Just life in a corrupt world.

Well they don't have to have the refs help them along the way. 

A team that should have been dealt the death penalty just received help to win the NC?  So why be clean. Just don't self report and deny deny deny

The NCAA is corrupt. Why should their rules be followed? If it's a matter of morality, follow that rule... otherwise keep up with the jones'.

There is plenty of incentive of to being a clean program, but zero incentive to comply with self-reporting. 

Cash cows like nc and indiana will only get damaged if they self report. Indina was moral but it destroyed the program. Nc and kentucky know how the game works.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

There are only moral incentives to running a clean program. If you're the kind of person who doesn't care about breaking the rules and wants to win at all costs the NCAA isn't going to do anything to stop you.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

To be honest all the cheating has took a toll on me.   I've stopped watching college sports for the past three years. I live in NC and I just got tired of people using the same excuse, " everybody cheats now", to justify their actions.  

I also got tired being labeled jealous.  I thought that  the beauty of sports was that everything was played on a equal field, but I guess I was delusional.  

Sorry to say, but after tonight and seeing UNC in back to back title games through this I have to say, it is time to do whatever we have to. I don't want to become a scummy program, but bending the rules a little to help our program compete with all these other schools is the only way to win nowadays.

If we expect to be elite, we have to do what the other elite schools are doing or they will always be a step ahead. The NCAA is not punishing anyone unless it becomes strippers or grades and maybe not even that now obviously. Kills me to say this, but throw a couple grand a kids way every now and then.

Sent from my LGLS676 using BtownBanners mobile app

This thread is so sad. A little grumpy because another team won followed by people caving on their own values.

Hi, I just need to complain about something. 

6 minutes ago, Drwitty said:

This thread is so sad. A little grumpy because another team won followed by people caving on their own values.

Hi, I just need to complain about something. 

For many years UNC had players take fake classes to stay eligible and the NCAA hasn't done anything about it. I would be concerned if people weren't complaining about it. 

I still want IU to value the academic side of the equation. There should be nothing underhanded with that issue. I'm moral enough on that topic. But when it comes to recruiting, I don't give a crap. Academic scandals are way worse than recruiting scandals. There is no such thing as a squeaky clean program. That's just the nature of the beast in college athletics, particularly football and basketball

I still want IU to value the academic side of the equation. There should be nothing underhanded with that issue. I'm moral enough on that topic. But when it comes to recruiting, I don't give a crap. Academic scandals are way worse than recruiting scandals. There is no such thing as a squeaky clean program. That's just the nature of the beast in college athletics, particularly football and basketball

I'm with you. I expect our student athletes to be students, first and foremost. Do what we have to do recruiting the right players. Just no hookers.

There isn't. Only a moral high ground to stand on. Operating in the gray area is just how college basketball is going these days. You either adapt or die, as sad as that is.