Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

P92

Never can figure Knight out

Knight did a lot of great things for charity and the library and was great to us students. When I was at IU he had a "Night with Knight" event each year where he would take questions about the team or upcoming season from students and answer them. Of course, if he thought they were stupid questions he would tell you to sit down and shut up. It was classic Knight and so much fun. He did a lot of good things behind the scenes and ran a tight ship--strong discipline and no cheating. I am going to say something that may not be popular in today's politically correct world. Personally --I think Knight has a right to be bitter but he should have taken it out on the university and not on his former players and us fans who loyally supported him through the years. I say that because although I did not always agree with what he said or what he did--I don't think he got fired over the Neil Reed incident. I think he got fired because he wasn't winning as much as he once had. Knight didn't change the way he had always coached and IU was fine with it as long as we were in the top 10, winning conference titles, and competing for national titles. He was their golden boy bringing millions to the university. When that stopped happening in his latter years, conduct they once turned a blind eye to became a fireable offense. Those of us close to the players or program in those days know Reed and his family were trouble. Let me just say this--Reed's dad was a high school coach and Knight was gentle compared to him. I don't say all this to make excuses--but the university changed the rules on Knight mid-game and demanded he change the way he coached but still wanted him to win at a high rate. I am not saying the university was wrong in wanting Knight to change his methods and coaching style--I am just saying they were fine with it when we were winning big. That's the hypocrisy Knight can't get over. So--yes--many of us who lived through the firing and would have run through a brick wall for Coach think he got shafted in some ways. The world changed and Knight would not and maybe even could not. But let me say this--Knight was not all bad. He had pride in the program and instilled it in us students and I want Archie to bring back that same sense of pride to IU once again!

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

I think you find that at different places though. If Coach K had his way he wouldn't be recruiting 1 and done. He said so many times and overnight that changed. He had a down period and had to change with the times to stay at that level he had to be at. I don't resent Knight for any of it. Hell of a coach. But it has been 18 years. This fan base just cannot let things go and move forward. That is how is how you stay stuck in a 30 year rut.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

I personally think this current soft-tail America could use a half dose of Knight... but that's a side rant for a rainy day :)

Sent from my SCH-I545 using BtownBanners mobile app

I agree. We need some toughness administered to our players. Just a dab of what Knight used to do would be enough. When I was a student in the Knight days the most sought after tickets were those right behind the Indiana bench. Knight was amazing and fun to watch and listen to. That man could draw up incredible plays or defensive maneuvers and he could get more expletives in a sentence than anyone else I have ever seen in my life. You definitely did not want to be the player who missed a defensive assignment coming into a time out. And the referees definitely earned their pay for when he was mad they heard about it EVERY time they ran by him down the court. It was highly educational and entertaining. Other coaches and players sometimes feared him but always respected him. You knew you were going to be in a war if you were going to try and come in and get a win in The Hall. We need that mentality again.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners