Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Aaron

Could Archie Miller be a Tracy Smith situation in reverse for IU?

I hope you're right and definitely see the parallel comparison. I sure hope we continue to be the elite job for him after he gets us back to elite and he doesn't bolt for another blueblood like pUKe, Dukey, or UNC (no funny name I can think of here but thinking along the lines of not graduating players, fake test scores, etc). 

2 minutes ago, Bgaines99 said:

I hope you're right and definitely see the parallel comparison. I sure hope we continue to be the elite job for him after he gets us back to elite and he doesn't bolt for another blueblood like pUKe, Dukey, or UNC (no funny name I can think of here but thinking along the lines of not graduating players, fake test scores, etc). 

He has no connection to any blue blood of than maybe UK. But honestly it should be enough to draw him away. We may have to give him a raise though. 

10 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

He has no connection to any blue blood of than maybe UK. But honestly it should be enough to draw him away. We may have to give him a raise though. 

I highly doubt we will lose Archie unless it's to the NBA as long as he does well. Just as Smith is set for life at Arizona St if he does well, Archie is set for life here if he does. It is highly unlikely he would take another college job.

That's the advantage of being a top level college job like IU is in basketball and soccer. Expectations are much higher and it's easier to get fired for bad performance but if you succeed you are almost certainly set with that coach until he retires (unlike football or baseball here where extreme success will send your coach to greener pastures).

Maybe more like Louisville basketball. With two Final Four trips in the 1970s, followed by two NCAA titles in the 1980s, it was at a pretty elite status. But it slipped considerably in the final years under Denny Crum -- albeit with an occasional decent NCAA run thrown in. But Pitino has it back among the elite. Am hoping Archie can do the same at IU. (Without the hookers and strippers, of course!). 

If Archie does well here, he's here for the long run. Indiana will match the salary and resources any other school would be willing to give him. I'm sure UK, Duke etc. would ask if he's having success but I just can't see it happening. Especially when Archie already considers this one of the premier coaching jobs in the country.

Pretty sure it's University of No Classes.

12 hours ago, Aaron said:

Here me out on this.

IU baseball historically has been a mid-level program or lower (especially until Tracy Smith was here). At the first sign of success in 09 after he turned us around and took IU to NCAA tournament other programs came calling but he held out and led IU to even higher heights including the CWS. Than after a patient wait and not just taking any job he finally left for an elite job at Arizona St that had hit hard times somewhat after great historical success. Smith has since returned ASU to the tourney both years he has been there and has them well on the way to returning to elite status in my mind (although it's still a bit early).

In Archie's case every major program came calling for him after turning Dayton around and taking them to the elite 8. Like Smith he held out for a few more years and took Dayton to even higher heights (yes I know he has not made it back to Elite 8 but he has built them to a much better spot within the Atlantic 10 dominating the league much like Smith did after 09). After a few more years and only wanting a top job Miller takes a job at Indiana which like Arizona St has had great historical success but fallen on hard times. Hopefully like Smith, Archie can be well on his way to building us back to our rightful status among other programs in our sport.

I know this is not a perfect comparison and there may be some small differences but there are also definitely some similar parallels as well.     

I think you pretty much nailed it. No one knows for sure, but Coach Miller looks and sounds like the real deal. I think we may have just hired the next big thing!