Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

ramadden13

Stupidest Miller Take - Crispin on BTN

The dumbest take on the hiring of CAM thus far. In the segment, Crispin spends a lot of time saying a lot of things that don't really make sense, but the gist of it is that he believes that Miller is hindered from succeeding because the emphasis is on our outsized expectations instead of on the process of getting there. He thinks Underwood is in a better situation than CAM. It's wildly bad. I thought BTN would get it, but nope. Watch for the lulz.

I don't even understand what his point is? We're not focused enough on the process? Would he prefer we say that we don't care if you win a championship ever, just as long as you enjoy the process! 

The point of firing Crean and hiring Miller is getting somebody who can have us in the conversation on a consistent basis, not winning it or even being the favorites on a consistent basis, just simply being in the conversation. Crean could barely even get us into the tournament on a consistent basis and when he did we never went past the sweet 16. 

Sorry to hear Crispin has an issue with those expectations, but as Archie said, if you don't like it then don't move into the neighborhood. He's ready for the challenge and I have complete faith in him.

31 minutes ago, Miller'sTheMan said:

I don't even understand what his point is? We're not focused enough on the process? Would he prefer we say that we don't care if you win a championship ever, just as long as you enjoy the process! 

The point of firing Crean and hiring Miller is getting somebody who can have us in the conversation on a consistent basis, not winning it or even being the favorites on a consistent basis, just simply being in the conversation. Crean could barely even get us into the tournament on a consistent basis and when he did we never went past the sweet 16. 

Sorry to hear Crispin has an issue with those expectations, but as Archie said, if you don't like it then don't move into the neighborhood. He's ready for the challenge and I have complete faith in him.

It's really puzzling. Hall makes the exact point you do about wanting to be in the conversation and Crispin goes "Really" and starts blabbing some more about his talking points. 

The whole "Indiana fans have outrageous expectations and coaches should be wary because they'll be fired if they don't win a championship right away blah blah blah" is absurd.

Certainly, a championship is the goal. And Final Fours are the goal. But everyone understands they are difficult.

Crean wasn't fired because he failed to win a national championship. He was fired because he finished better than 7th in the Big 10 once in the last four years, and had a single digit NCAA tournament seed once in the last four years - and missed the tournament altogether twice. 

You have to have consistent success to have opportunities to make tournament runs. Crean failed to do that, and there was no indication he would ever do that. 

1 hour ago, jimsorgi said:

The whole "Indiana fans have outrageous expectations and coaches should be wary because they'll be fired if they don't win a championship right away blah blah blah" is absurd.

Certainly, a championship is the goal. And Final Fours are the goal. But everyone understands they are difficult.

Crean wasn't fired because he failed to win a national championship. He was fired because he finished better than 7th in the Big 10 once in the last four years, and had a single digit NCAA tournament seed once in the last four years - and missed the tournament altogether twice. 

You have to have consistent success to have opportunities to make tournament runs. Crean failed to do that, and there was no indication he would ever do that. 

I agree.  I'd have some respect for Jon Crispin's point of view if it were remotely his own, but he's really just recycling the stuff he's heard from the major sports news pundits.  It's always the same "Tom Crean did this and accomplished that, but apparently that's not good for IU's delusional fan base."  Tom Crean's "ceiling" didn't get him fired, his "floor" did.  

I agree that our fan base (as well as every other major program) has a small, but very outspoken group of idiots, but most IU fans I knew really just grew tired of the product on the court.  All the turnovers, defensive lapses, and weak half court offense was the problem.  The fact that Tom Crean had no idea how to address these problems is what got him fired.               

Dear Mr. Crispan: Yes--we do have high expectations at IU and we do not apologize for them. This may be something you are not familiar with from your time at Penn State or riding the pine at UCLA. We gave Coach Crean ample time to develop a consistent winner and he couldn't get it done. It's Archie's turn. At IU as a Coach you are paid to win and compete at the highest level every year--not just some or even most years. We are not Purdue or Penn State and we don't want to become like them. Basketball is like food or oxygen for us--we eat it --we breathe it--we live it. We are proud of our winning tradition and we are making moves to revive it again. Get on board or get out of our way. We are IU and proud of it!
Sincerely, Hoosier Nation

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners