Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

akinnaird24

Last names on jerseys?

29 minutes ago, rcsalway29 said:

Can't find a Google Image showing Ewing, Wright, or anyone else wearing a headband. Nor can I find an image with Rivers wearing sleeve. He wore a t-shirt though.

I saw an image with Rivers wearing something on his right elbow, may have been some sort of light pad but wasn't a full sleeve.

I'm not 'pro-names' on jerseys, but I DO believe we need to update our jerseys. I'm all for the tradition and aura of our history, but I believe that we need to modern-ize our uniforms on a more consistent basis, but would prefer names to be included on the back.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

I doubt the names on the back matter much to the vast majority of recruits. You're at IU, you're on national TV constantly, everyone knows who you are. To some of the elite recruits the brand itself matters a lot more (shoes specifically), which is why I don't like the Adidas partnership (also they make ugly shirts). I don't see how adding names makes it any less IU, though. I get a chuckle out of the whole "You play for the name on the front" line though, such a "Get off my lawn!" comment.  People would be mad for about a week and then forget about it, kinda like when they added the B1G logo to the court.

Edited by hoosierjoe

9 minutes ago, hoosierjoe said:

I doubt the names on the back matter much to the vast majority of recruits. You're at IU, you're on national TV constantly, everyone knows who you are. To some of the elite recruits the brand itself matters a lot more (shoes specifically), which is why I don't like the Adidas partnership (also they make ugly shirts). I don't see how adding names makes it any less IU, though. I get a chuckle out of the whole "You play for the name on the front" line though, such a "Get off my lawn!" comment.  People would be mad for about a week and then forget about it, kinda like when they added the B1G logo to the court.

We'd get over it, but I still like that not having names helps make us different from every other program.  And for the record, I still dislike that the B1G logo is at the foul line; I'd prefer it on the sideline or baseline.

I'm not 'pro-names' on jerseys, but I DO believe we need to update our jerseys. I'm all for the tradition and aura of our history, but I believe that we need to modern-ize our uniforms on a more consistent basis, but would prefer names to be included on the back.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Yep and i highly doubt iu fans would quite watching if the uniforms changed. That would be pretty lame

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

This is an interesting topic and got me thinking of the top traditions. These aren't in any order but some traditions off the top of my head.

Banners (national titles)
Winning (conference titles and undefeated season)
Passionate/knowledgeable fans
Assembly Hall
Candy Stripes
No names on back of jersey
William Tell Overture at under 8 to
Indiana Mr. Basketball
All-Americans
NPOY
Legendary coaches
Generational fandom
Hoosier Hysteria
Student section

I'm not naive enough to think we can maintain the status quo and compete at a national level. We, as a program, need to continue to evolve and adapt to the present landscape of college basketball. We also can't ignore the tradition of the program. Assembly Hall had a makeover and I would like to see that continue with other areas.

I would like to see some tweaks to what IU is doing. Such as

- a livelier atmosphere at HH. (DJ, big time emcee, famous peeps being involved)

- with the new Spirit of 76 club, move the students closer to the floor and behind opposing bench

- the student section unite on some chants/signs

- maybe some alternate unis for a preseason tourney or big game

What would you like to see differently?

I'd prefer that we kept the name off the back of the jerseys but I would love to see us incorporate the candy stripes into the game uniform, similarly to what we did in the Kansas/Maryland games. Much like what Kentucky does with the checkered sides of the uniform. I think it looks sharp and would add a tasteful touch to our more traditional uniform. Our uniforms have changed throughout our history but leaving the names off the back has gone back since our inception. I prefer to leave such traditions intact. Anything that has precedent of change or improvement, is welcomed in this camp.

1 minute ago, Dalton26 said:

If you start candy striping everything that will take some of the prestige from the warm up pants imo.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

I kind of agree.  I think a white panel would look alright, but I wouldn't want to go overboard with the candy stripes.