Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

akinnaird24

Last names on jerseys?

2 hours ago, vertroa said:

When you think of the tradition of Indiana basketball is names on jerseys the first thing you think of? Top 10? Top 20? My point of it's so insignificant, especially today where college basketball is an interview for the NBA. 

I would argue that it is in the top 10

This is an interesting topic and got me thinking of the top traditions. These aren't in any order but some traditions off the top of my head.

Banners (national titles)
Winning (conference titles and undefeated season)
Passionate/knowledgeable fans
Assembly Hall
Candy Stripes
No names on back of jersey
William Tell Overture at under 8 to
Indiana Mr. Basketball
All-Americans
NPOY
Legendary coaches
Generational fandom
Hoosier Hysteria
Student section

I'm not naive enough to think we can maintain the status quo and compete at a national level. We, as a program, need to continue to evolve and adapt to the present landscape of college basketball. We also can't ignore the tradition of the program. Assembly Hall had a makeover and I would like to see that continue with other areas.

I would like to see some tweaks to what IU is doing. Such as

- a livelier atmosphere at HH. (DJ, big time emcee, famous peeps being involved)

- with the new Spirit of 76 club, move the students closer to the floor and behind opposing bench

- the student section unite on some chants/signs

- maybe some alternate unis for a preseason tourney or big game

What would you like to see differently?

1 minute ago, HoosierAloha said:

This is an interesting topic and got me thinking of the top traditions. These aren't in any order but some traditions off the top of my head.

Assembly Hall
Candy Stripes
Indiana Mr. Basketball
All-Americans
NPOY
Legendary coaches
Generational fandom
Hoosier Hysteria
Student section

I'm not naive enough to think we can maintain the status quo and compete at a national level. We, as a program, need to continue to evolve and adapt to the present landscape of college basketball. We also can't ignore the tradition of the program. Assembly Hall had a makeover and I would like to see that continue with other areas.

- a livelier atmosphere at HH. (DJ, big time emcee, famous peeps being involved)

- with the new Spirit of 76 club, move the students closer to the floor and behind opposing bench

I'd be down with an alternate uniform used a couple times per year; if you want to put names on the alternates then knock yourself out.

I wouldn't make many changes to the current uniforms, maybe material and cut.  Shoe logo I don't give a crap about, as bad as it sounds Adidas and Nike may be made by the same kid in the same sweatshop; just go with whatever shoe company offers the best deal.

I hope the stupid big heads and gorilla suit go the way of the dodo bird sooner rather than later.

RE: Traditions

• Putting the student behind opponents’ bench I don’t really agree with.  That should be reserved for family of the opposing players and any allotment of tickets given to the opposite team for such seats.  (Not just fans of the opposing team, but people in connection with the team that have a reason to travel beside fandom.)  Too many issues with putting students right there.
  • I do agree the students should be in the inner bowl (i.e. bleacher seats) all the way around except behind both benches.   Keep the seats behind IU’s bench for team families, team seats and big time boosters who want to sit there.  Lower the student section bleachers that would be across from the team benches in height to accommodate for students standing as not to block the MAIN concourse seats.  Then take out the first 5-7 rows or so of the main concourse and put in high value seats for the bigtime boosters who have lost their bleacher seats with full accommodations to make these seats more desirable or as desirable.  Then in the main concourses, put the student sections on all four Corners of the concourse and in the balcony.  It would create an all angle type of loudness and the Non Students would be able to sit without having to stand because the student section is standing if desired.

Just a few thoughts on seating.

2 hours ago, HoosierAloha said:

Assembly Hall
Candy Stripes
Indiana Mr. Basketball
All-Americans
NPOY
Legendary coaches
Generational fandom
Hoosier Hysteria
Student section

Many, many less turnovers, intensity on defense for 2 halves, win the first 5 minutes of the 2nd half, a coach that gets in the refs ear, with a lead stomp on the opponents hopes of getting back into the game= do the things that help winning and make fewer mistakes than the opponent= better atmosphere!

If Penn State football can hang on to that tradition with all their football program has been through, Indiana Basketball can. They had them for a while; but realized their roots; and took them off again.   I could live without candy stripes and I get that...young kids pay attention to fashion.   But you play for the name on the front, right?   

I'm Indifferent to this. One thing we should do is add alternate unis a couple times a year. We still preserve our traditional unis for 90% of the games, but add some flair to our brand. We need certain adaptations to keep up with the changing culture.

Then I would venture to say that likely many former players, majority of long time fans, former coaches, managers and the boosters have "lost touch with reality".... walk around SSAH and Cook. Look at the walls of Nick's. Reality is that TRADITION is a huge part of IU. Its part of the mystique that makes us unique. It's why IU has the resources for basketball that it does. It's an important reason why the top young coach in the country came here. It's a reason why former players have such a strong attachment and opinions. IU has one of the largest alumni bases in the country- I bet I can guess what most of them think.
 Start messing with the traditions, then we become Every Other Place U. No thanks.

Perfectly stated. Some details within the program are there for a reason.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

I don't see the names as having any impact on how a young man is going to play.  We have had some extremely self centered players come through IU, as well as some extremely selfless players come through IU.  Would having the names on the jerseys change that?  I don't think so. 

Everyone in Indiana seems to talk about the "Butler Way" and how much they like watching that BB team play.  Do the names on their jerseys impact that?  I don't think so.

1 minute ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Welcome back.  Best photoshopper ever.  You still in the D.C. area?

Yessir. I look forward to plastering Archie's mug on everything. I get off at gallery place (home of the national portrait gallery) when I go downtown. I have more inspiration than I know what to do with.

Do it. It really doesn't mean anything. Indiana should hang jerseys in the rafters too. As well as jerseys with McCracken and Knight on them. Maybe a sweater vest with Knight on it. Indiana would have several players in the rafters and that'd be really neat. You'd just have to create a check list of things to accomplish to be hung in the rafters. It'd be like immortality at AH. There are plenty of things Indiana can change just to take a step out of the 80's. Names in jerseys aren't a big deal. Alternate jerseys aren't a big deal. Honestly, I wouldn't mind just going to a whole different set of jerseys and retiring what we have now. It is the start of a new era and we should show that. And use the script "Indiana" on the jerseys.

Idk about everything else, really don't have an opinion, but hell yeah id love to see some alternate jerseys with the script Indiana