Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

akinnaird24

Last names on jerseys?

Used to be hardcore about this but I dunno anymore. When I look across cbb and see so many guys playing their guts out, with their name on the back...I just think we overreact to the whole thing. I'm not sure it's THAT big of a deal. I get it though, let's keep tradition.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using BtownBanners mobile app

4 minutes ago, bleedhoosier said:

Used to be hardcore about this but I dunno anymore. When I look across cbb and see so many guys playing their guts out, with their name on the back...I just think we overreact to the whole thing. I'm not sure it's THAT big of a deal. I get it though, let's keep tradition.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using BtownBanners mobile app

I don't think it makes a difference in terms of how hard a player plays.  At this point it's part of IU basketball to me, and it helps make us different.  I don't want to be like every other team out there, and no names helps us stand out.

Personally I'm all for no names on the Jersey. It's about the team and not about one person, I believe Knight was instrumental in no names.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

I'd prefer NO names but if we had them on the road and/or first game of the year, I'd be ok with that.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

I'd prefer NO names but if we had them on the road and/or first game of the year, I'd be ok with that.

In addition, I think the framed jersey seniors get at senior night should have their name on it.

7 hours ago, vertroa said:

We live in day of twitter and instagram, if you are concerned about names on jerseys you have lost touch with reality. 

Then I would venture to say that likely many former players, majority of long time fans, former coaches, managers and the boosters have "lost touch with reality".... walk around SSAH and Cook. Look at the walls of Nick's. Reality is that TRADITION is a huge part of IU. Its part of the mystique that makes us unique. It's why IU has the resources for basketball that it does. It's an important reason why the top young coach in the country came here. It's a reason why former players have such a strong attachment and opinions. IU has one of the largest alumni bases in the country- I bet I can guess what most of them think.

Start messing with the traditions, then we become Every Other Place U. No thanks.

17 hours ago, akinnaird24 said:

With all of the talk about brands being part of why some recruits choose certain schools, I wanted to see what people thought of this. I'm not sure how many division 1 teams there are without names on the back of the jerseys, but obviously IU is one without them as they claim to play for the name on the front. Do you think this affects recruits at all? Also, do you think we should add names to the back of the jerseys?

Absolutely not. If a recruit wants his name than he is not a team player

2 hours ago, hoosierbannerd said:

Then I would venture to say that likely many former players, majority of long time fans, former coaches, managers and the boosters have "lost touch with reality".... walk around SSAH and Cook. Look at the walls of Nick's. Reality is that TRADITION is a huge part of IU. Its part of the mystique that makes us unique. It's why IU has the resources for basketball that it does. It's an important reason why the top young coach in the country came here. It's a reason why former players have such a strong attachment and opinions. IU has one of the largest alumni bases in the country- I bet I can guess what most of them think.

Start messing with the traditions, then we become Every Other Place U. No thanks.

When you think of the tradition of Indiana basketball is names on jerseys the first thing you think of? Top 10? Top 20? My point of it's so insignificant, especially today where college basketball is an interview for the NBA. 

1 hour ago, vertroa said:

When you think of the tradition of Indiana basketball is names on jerseys the first thing you think of? Top 10? Top 20? My point of it's so insignificant, especially today where college basketball is an interview for the NBA. 

Um.. no, top 5; along with the candy stripes, under 7 time out, 5 banners and Martha.. If it's insignificant, then why not leave it alone? I'm sure a lot of kids have dreams of going to the League; but few make it and I'm sure most of the top don't care about traditions, they just want the easiest, quickest path there.. I get that. But for the majority of players at a place like IU, those that don't make the NBA, those that play and earn their degree, the traditions become part of who they are. We'll just agree to disagree.