Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

akinnaird24

Last names on jerseys?

With all of the talk about brands being part of why some recruits choose certain schools, I wanted to see what people thought of this. I'm not sure how many division 1 teams there are without names on the back of the jerseys, but obviously IU is one without them as they claim to play for the name on the front. Do you think this affects recruits at all? Also, do you think we should add names to the back of the jerseys?

With all of the talk about brands being part of why some recruits choose certain schools, I wanted to see what people thought of this. I'm not sure how many division 1 teams there are without names on the back of the jerseys, but obviously IU is one without them as they claim to play for the name on the front. Do you think this affects recruits at all? Also, do you think we should add names to the back of the jerseys?

Yes i think turns some kids off. Its time we get with the times imo.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

Wanting your name on the back of your jersey doesn't necessarily mean you're a selfish player.
I actually don't think it means anything at all.
I like the uniforms just the way they are, but wouldn't mind too much if they put names on the back.

I get why we do it, and I like the whole idea. But Indiana fans seem to think we do things a certain way because it is the only way. I think there are other things I'd want to examine changing before this.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

It's a new day and age of college basketball. Not saying recruits even care about this because if you're good enough, people will know who you are. I was just curious about what everyone thought. It seems as if the older generation (around for our last championship) are usually the ones for keeping everything the same.

*insert quote about playing for the name on the front of the jersey, not on the back.*

I don't feel strongly one way or the other. If we're going to change anything about the jerseys though I'd like us to ditch adidas, but that's a topic for another day. 

*insert quote about playing for the name on the front of the jersey, not on the back.*
I don't feel strongly one way or the other. If we're going to change anything about the jerseys though I'd like us to ditch adidas, but that's a topic for another day. 

I'm with ya. I don't feel strongly either way. I think the candy stripes are more of a tradition thing than the names on the back. Tradition is usually for winning programs though. Hopefully we get back on that path soon.

3 minutes ago, Jeff_Boy_Ardee said:

I'm 28 and I am totally against the names. That's one of the things Indiana is known for, Indiana the team, no Indiana with All American so and so. I see it as this is your number now it's up to you to actually make it yours. 40 used to be known to most as Calbert. Now many people know it as Cody. You earn the right to have your name go with the number and I think it gives it meaning to live up to that number. Anybody can have a name printed on that jersey. I like how it allows other players represent that number and they're not retired. 11: Isiah, Fife, yogi. 40: Calbert, Cody. 2: AJ, Watford and so on. So many great players came through here and wore that number now it's your turn to live up to it.

"You earn the right to have your name go with your number." I never thought of it like that, but I like it. 

I'm 28 and I am totally against the names. That's one of the things Indiana is known for, Indiana the team, no Indiana with All American so and so. I see it as this is your number now it's up to you to actually make it yours. 40 used to be known to most as Calbert. Now many people know it as Cody. You earn the right to have your name go with the number and I think it gives it meaning to live up to that number. Anybody can have a name printed on that jersey. I like how it allows other players represent that number and they're not retired. 11: Isiah, Fife, yogi. 40: Calbert, Cody. 2: AJ, Watford and so on. So many great players came through here and wore that number now it's your turn to live up to it.

There will only ever be one #4 to me.

Great point.