Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

IU Hoosier41

Tom Crean Press Tour 2017

26 minutes ago, Aaron said:

Anyone angry at Crean that when he was coaching us he would not give the media the time of day and now he won't get away from them?

I know several people in the IU media fairly well who are great guys and I know they were beyond frustrated at the lack of access he gave them during his tenure (but I have not talked to any of them since his firing to know if this makes them more aggravated that he is talking so much now).

More than anything as a fan it was very aggravating that every week in Indy you would hear Painter and Holtmann almost weekly on the local radio shows here but Crean refused to come on. Even when he would talk after games he would not always make sense.

With all that said I think Crean is a good man but at times he acts a bit mysteriously and his handling of media was one of the things I will never understand. 

IMO, Crean is not a "good man"... his behavior is borderline psychotic, given his Jekyll-Hyde personality ... in his mind, he's clearly the second coming of the Wizard of Westwood ... but as we all know, he's a really bad, underachieving coach ... doesn't see the obvious (that his job is in jeopardy) ... and gets totally blindsided by his own firing ... and after spending 3, 4, 5, 6 years avoiding the media, now he's suddenly a self-appointed toastmaster general.

He just needs to move along ... Indiana has had enough drama at his hand ...

Anyone angry at Crean that when he was coaching us he would not give the media the time of day and now he won't get away from them?
I know several people in the IU media fairly well who are great guys and I know they were beyond frustrated at the lack of access he gave them during his tenure (but I have not talked to any of them since his firing to know if this makes them more aggravated that he is talking so much now).
More than anything as a fan it was very aggravating that every week in Indy you would hear Painter and Holtmann almost weekly on the local radio shows here but Crean refused to come on. Even when he would talk after games he would not always make sense.
With all that said I think Crean is a good man but at times he acts a bit mysteriously and his handling of media was one of the things I will never understand. 

What defines IU media? I always thought Crean had a handful of strong relationships in the media and got favorable treatment from them but most were national guys. Wondering what makes up IU Media

Maybe he is a good man. Maybe not.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

I can tell you beyond a doubt Crean is a very good guy at heart away from the court who has done many great things for the Bloomington community. I have personally witnessed this at least once and heard many other stories like everyone else. He certainly has issues like everyone but he cares about people more than most with his fame and ego.

Let's not confuse this with his coaching and behavior on the court which at times leaves a lot to be desired.

As for the IU media in my mind that would be anyone in the state of Indiana who either covers all local sports full time (guys like JMV on radio or Anthony Calhoun on TV) or specifically focus on IU (Mike Miller for the HT or Pete Diprimio for Fort Wayne Paper).

I can tell you at least several of the guys who cover IU part or full time (the examples I gave above are specifically people I do NOT know or have ever talked to) have been very frustrated with lack of availability Crean has given them at times and when he does give them time he was often late. Other times he would be great and give them a lot of time but would call them in on 5 minutes notice for the interview. Their relationship was very much a tolerant but frustrating one. I have no idea how national media felt.