Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

IU Hoosier41

Tom Crean Press Tour 2017

11 minutes ago, Treesh said:

I believe that happened. Got the text from his agent the night before and was upset. Fred texted him the next morning but Crean already had plans to leave that morning. He's a family man and he put his family first.

I find it odd Glass hasn't even reached out to Crean yet. 

He did reach out to Crean, but Crean refused to meet with him. Now he's not Fred's problem so I see no reason why he would reach out to him. 

Just now, Hoosierfan2017 said:

He did reach out to Crean, but Crean refused to meet with him. Now he's not Fred's problem so I see no reason why he would reach out to him. 

i understand and I realize Crean decided not to meet. But he already knew the night before, he might as well just hop on the plane and head to Florida.

2 minutes ago, AZ Hoosier said:

Yeah, I agree with this... Dakich has been all up Fred Glass' butt for "never calling Tom Crean"... and he hit on it again in the "interview"... but the fact remains, no matter how FCTC tries to spin it, Glass contacted Crean and Crean refused to meet with him, as reported in SI, and basically confirmed in the conversation with Dakich:

Despite all the warm, fuzzies that Crean is trying to spin, that is NOT classy. That's being a d!ck and refusing to own up to anything.

Right, it's passive-aggressive behavior. Not at ALL what I would want to see if I'm the next AD looking for a leader of my program. 

2 minutes ago, Treesh said:

i understand and I realize Crean decided not to meet. But he already knew the night before, he might as well just hop on the plane and head to Florida.

Running away from a problem or situation is never the answer... just my opinion.

I suppose that one could paraphrase RMK and say "if getting fired is inevitable, just lay back and enjoy it"...

Just now, AZ Hoosier said:

Running away from a problem or situation is never the answer... just my opinion.

I suppose that one could paraphrase RMK and say "if getting fired inevitable, just lay back and enjoy it"...

I agree. But like I said, he knew the night prior and he said himself he didn't take the news so well. 

He respects Fred and has shown respect towards him and the program so that's all that should really matter at this point.

As Crean's boss, Glass surely knew TC was leaving on vacation with his family, whether it was a last minute plan or not. Why then would he call for a meeting on the morning Crean was leaving for this trip? That would be stone cold. However, Crean should have requested a meeting upon his return.

Sent from my GT-P5113 using BtownBanners mobile app

Don't know if I would consider refusing to meet with your boss for the closing ceremonies "first class." It seems very childish to me. Go on in that office and get your butt fired like a man. Shake his hand, say thanks for the opportunity, and walk out the door with head held high.
If I'm his potential future AD, I'm not liking the "I'm going to Disney World!" thing. It says something about his personality, and if I have to work with him every day for the next 7 years, I would be putt off by that act.

Lmfao. If my boss knew I was taking my family on vacation after a very long season, and then called me in to fire me I would say FU to them as well. Glass would know he was leaving that day. You would really come in on your day off to get fired? The day you leave on a family vacation? If so you aren't the norm.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

As Crean's boss, Glass surely knew TC was leaving on vacation with his family, whether it was a last minute plan or not. Why then would he call for a meeting on the morning Crean was leaving for this trip? That would be stone cold. However, Crean should have requested a meeting upon his return.

Sent from my GT-P5113 using BtownBanners mobile app

He tried setting it up last minute cause he knew Crean was leaving. I don't blame either of them honestly. I just don't see it as a big deal either way.

5 minutes ago, mdn82 said:

Lmfao. If my boss knew I was taking my family on vacation after a very long season, and then called me in to fire me I would say FU to them as well. Glass would know he was leaving that day. You would really come in on your day off to get fired? The day you leave on a family vacation? If so you aren't the norm.

Family vacation? How long were then even gone? It was more like a conveniently and hastily planned long weekend. It's not like they had a 3 week tour of Europe or something on tap.

Crean had a chance to meet with Glass. The coach meets with the AD when the AD wants or needs to meet. If the coach decides not to, any fallout from that is on the coach. He should get no sympathy from any rational person about how things ended with Glass.

Family vacation? How long were then even gone? It was more like a conveniently and hastily planned long weekend. It's not like they had a 3 week tour of Europe or something on tap.
Crean had a chance to meet with Glass. The coach meets with the AD when the AD wants or needs to meet. If the coach decides not to, any fallout from that is on the coach. He should get no sympathy from any rational person about how things ended with Glass.

Lol have you ever planned a vacation? Usually you do it when you can get off work. For coaches that is between the end of season and April recruiting period. Nobody is giving him sympathy for anything. But neither person is at fault. He essentially got fired the night before Glass wanted to meet with him. Why should he have to meet with him? Where is that requirement in any job once you are told? Yeah the coach meets with the AD when he wants when he is his boss. You guys can quit looking for abnormal reasons to trash him as a man. He is gone. Move on and don't act like stupid stuff like this is remotely relevant. Not a single person on here would meet him before a family vacation in the offseason AFTER you are fired.

I hear ya man but if you are getting paid the $ he is ....well ya know he was getting canned but .........I don't know!!!

I don't know. Money or not it isn't like Glass owned him once he was fired. He could have blasted Glass at any point and he hasn't. Something like this is just so insignificant to me and just feels like piling on.

1 minute ago, mdn82 said:

I don't know. Money or not it isn't like Glass owned him once he was fired. He could have blasted Glass at any point and he hasn't. Something like this is just so insignificant to me and just feels like piling on.

Blasting Glass would be about the dumbest thing Crean could do -- and you're giving him a pat on the back now for just not being stupid?

I agree, the specifics of the parting are no huge deal. But it seems like people are trying to lionize the guy just because he's doing some sensible things toward getting his next job.

Give Crean a chance to talk and he'll sell you something.

Crean seems like a good and caring family guy. Crean did a pretty good job while at IU by some set of standards. Crean was not consistent enough. Crean didn't fail his own standards BUT he failed Glass's standards (and Indiana's thankfully).

Crean is good at making people feel sorry for him. Look at his influence on the media and such. His good guy persona and self assuredness emote a sense of sympathy.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Blasting Glass would be about the dumbest thing Crean could do -- and you're giving him a pat on the back now for just not being stupid?

I agree, the specifics of the parting are no huge deal. But it seems like people are trying to lionize the guy just because he's doing some sensible things toward getting his next job.

I don't even know what this means comparative to what you took issue with. Neither was wrong.

My only point would be that Dakich has been on Glass' @$$ since the firing for not meeting with Crean. I have no reason to suspect that Crean put him up to it, but it just looks like piling on from where I'm sitting. Of course, Dakich is a professional D-bag, so that has to factor in somewhere.

All that said, I respect Crean as a person. He is tough, caring, and passionate.

Problem is his Basketball ideals weren't strong enough and his plan and vision for IU was to fly by the seat of his pants and hope it all works out.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners