Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

(2018) SF - Jerome Hunter to IU

14 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

WOWZERS!!!!!!!!!

LOVE this. 2018 recruiting has been unreal. Top 100 dominoes committing so early.

Now Romeo, Henry, and (Dort/Garland).

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

I'm excited cause it is exactly what we were asking for with Crean. Good, highly rated kids that don't seem like they'll be one and dones. And they seem like high character off the court guys.

Now we just need to get that next level talent. Never understood the uneasiness the fan base had that we didn't immediately land recruits from day 1 with Archie

29 minutes ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

"With Hunter's commitment to Indiana, the top two prospects in Central Ohio's 2018 class have committed to programs in the state immediately east of Ohio, as Dane Goodwin committed to Notre Dame earlier in July."

Someone get this writer a map.

Your OTHER East!

Archie is getting the recruiting done quick and early I don't believe I have seen this much surge in commitments. 

I believe this was his plan all along. Get his middle targets done so he could ramp up the pressure on the big boys.

Sent from my LGLS676 using BtownBanners mobile app

5 hours ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

"Indiana sees Jerome as an NBA type guard," James said. "He will be able to play the 3 and 2 and in that style of play, he will be able to get the ball and push it down court. They'll put the ball in his hands and develop him like a big NBA guard."

http://www.270hoops.com/news_article/show/814591?referrer_id=

Yes, NBA type as he can play. How he's not rated higher is surprising. I am pumped he's an Indiana recruit.

http://www.insidethehall.com/2017/07/17/q-a-ohio-nova-director-andreas-james-discusses-jerome-hunter-commitment/

Q&A with the director of Jerome's AAU club. Pretty interesting. Most interesting to me is this quote:

Schools had done a really good job of recruiting him. But Indiana, once the staff identified Jerome as a target, they went all-in. So literally from the time that he got on campus until when he committed, the staff has been in contact with his circle non-stop. And then this past first weekend, out of the four games, I believe Archie … obviously there’s a staff represented there … but I believe he was the only head coach that was at three of the four games. That’s not to say the other schools didn’t prioritize him because some other schools did a really good job of recruiting him, but the staff came in really strong and identified that he was a guy they wanted and didn’t leave any doubt in Jerome’s mind that he was a priority. And also let him know what they would do to develop him as a student athlete there at Indiana.

Archie has talked about how you don't just recruit the player, you recruit their family/friends/etc. Seems like it worked well here.

Nice background piece on how we landed Hunter.

http://www.indystar.com/story/sports/college/indiana/2017/07/19/dayton-connection-archie-millers-perseverance-helps-land-jerome-hunter/489562001/

“It does date back to Archie’s time at Dayton, and that was one of Jerome’s first offers. That really had a lot of impact on him, when Archie was at Dayton,” said Andreas James, director of training and program development for Hunter’s Ohio Nova AAU program. “When (Miller) took the job at IU, the staff immediately reached out and made it a point that they were really interested in him.”