Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

(2018) SF - Jerome Hunter to IU

30 minutes ago, goonaha said:

https://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/news/jerome-hunter-cuts-his-school-list-to-five

Top 5:  Indiana, Michigan, Ohio State, Pitt, Xavier

I am a fan of this timing. Announcing a top 5 right after getting an offer from IU this weekend.

Yesssiirrr

1 hour ago, goonaha said:

https://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/news/jerome-hunter-cuts-his-school-list-to-five

Top 5:  Indiana, Michigan, Ohio State, Pitt, Xavier

I am a fan of this timing. Announcing a top 5 right after getting an offer from IU this weekend.

I got the one I wanted now everybody else just go away and leave me alone!

I got the one I wanted now everybody else just go away and leave me alone!

Recruiting is fluid and changes daily. However, I won't be shocked if Hunter is wearing candy stripes next season. A year, two in Smith's case, learning under JMo and we should have two solid wings going into 2019.

When it comes to players who are just starting to see their potential, Jerome Hunter is in that category.

A football player as a youngster, Hunter started to zero in on basketball a little later, missed some time in high school and now is just starting to show flashes of what he can become.
The 6-foot-7 forward from Pickerington (Ohio) North High School and the Nova Village AAU program now is a four-star prospect, ranked No. 61 nationally in the 2018 class.
Hunter this past weekend played in the Archie Miller Indiana team camp and landed a scholarship offer from Miller.
Hunter was joined on the trip by his mother and other family. His team played games in Assembly Hall and Cook Hall.

“He was impressed. I’m impressed,” Pickerington North coach Jason Bates told peegs.com. “This was our first time here. The campus is beautiful.
“The arena has that feel to it that a lot of schools don’t have. They’re renovated and brand new, but they don’t have that feel that this one has.
“I know he’s impressed. I know his mom is impressed. I know his family is impressed.”

Hunter has a number of scholarship offers with schools such as Michigan, Ohio State, Xavier and Pittsburgh in the mix with Indiana.
Miller, while the head coach at Dayton, was one of the first coaches to offer a scholarship to Hunter.

“That was one we got last year at his team camp in Dayton,” Bates said, updating the recent conversations Hunter and his family had with Miller at IU. “He talked about how he thought he would fit in his system. He’s very excited about hm. He’s been watching him over the years.
“He’s a great guy. It was great just talking to him.”

Peegs.com watched Hunter several times in June, including at the NBPA Top 100 camp and at the IU camp.
Hunter started as an interior player but his game has expanded to make him a versatile forward.
In one game at the IU team camp, Hunter made five 3-pointers in one half.

“His ball handling has grown leaps and bounds, as has his decision-making with the basketball. His basketball IQ is growing,” Bates said.
“He missed his freshman year pretty based on the time he transferred as a freshman, and we’ve kind of been playing catch-up since then, getting him ready, matching his talent with learning and developing.
“Sometimes he’ll show you flashes of just unbelievable ability, then there are times you have to remember he’s still young.
“He’s still learning, especially him going from playing mostly post as an eight grader and as a 10th grader being more of a post player a little bit still. Last year, he started moving out to the wing. Now he’s really playing as a wing.”
“He’s always shot it pretty well. His post moves are phenomenal. His rebounding has always been great. Now it’s the ball handling, the decision making to make him a wing.”

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

This is a popular quote, but the honest truth is we want top rated recruits who want to play for IU. ................

Otherwise we're happy that a recruit chose IU, then as fans we sugarcoat every good thing we can think of about them.

UNTIL they opt to go to the NBA too early, then we turn on them.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

Haha very true but my point is that passion can translate to a better work ethic and better success. Not true in every scenario tho

Yeah, I agree. I was just playing around. As fans we are generally an optimistic bunch. That's good. I've watched several Jerome Hunter videos and I can see why he ranges from 60-130. He is long and skilled. Not the overwhelming athleticism like King or Bazley but he would be a nice piece. I like him better than his composite ranking.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Took an official visit to Michigan this weekend, which indicates that his recruitment is moving quickly. Hopefully IU can get him back on campus for an official ASAP.

I'm thinking he either commits to Michigan in the next few days, which is a real possibility, or if we can get him back for an official we are the front runners.

4 hours ago, goonaha said:

Took an official visit to Michigan this weekend, which indicates that his recruitment is moving quickly. Hopefully IU can get him back on campus for an official ASAP.

It appears it was also a spur of the moment type visit.  Nance was scheduled to Visit UM, but when Johns committed, Nance then committed to Northwestern and Michigan called Hunter. I'm not liking his willingness to accomodate.

That write up on Jerome Hunter about sums up my feelings of recruiting excitement and sadness all in one paragraph. "Hunter draws interest of BlueBlood". No, not Indiana.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

Gotta win on the court. Then the media hype comes back. Until then we just came off a 1st round NIT loss and fired our coach. Hiring a new coach typically doesn't lead to fishing for 5* while getting to pick who you want. Unless of course that 5* is local or dreamed of going there. We have neither at this point. Have to win with coaching first.