Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

(2017) PG McKinley Wright to Colorado

Committed 4/28/17.

Talked w/ Mr. Basketball @Ballislife_025. Said he has spot at Indiana, if he wants. #Gophers among those to touch base w/ 1 of his coaches.

Champlin, MN (Champlin Park Senior)
6'0"/180
AAU: Net Gain Sports

Scout

Videos

5 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Talked w/ Mr. Basketball @Ballislife_025. Said he has spot at Indiana, if he wants. #Gophers among those to touch base w/ 1 of his coaches.

I knew he's one of Archie's recruits from Dayton, but how good is he? Could he get playing time as a freshmen?

Just now, Miller said:

I knew he's one of Archie's recruits from Dayton, but how good is he? Could he get playing time as a freshmen?

He's the only Dayton recruit that's B10 quality, playing time could depend on how high the roster turnover though

More background on Wright.  Now it's Minnesota high school basketball not Indiana high school, but it sounds like the kid has some genuine skills.  2 of the more informative pieces of the article are below.

http://www.mnbasketballhub.com/news_article/show/769692?referrer_id=198777

"The 6-foot point guard has been great all season. He’s averaging 22.9 points, 8.1 rebounds and 7.8 assists per game, all while running the show for the only remaining undefeated team in the state. It’s what makes him the 2017 Star Tribune Metro Player of the Year."

"... myriad offensive skills: an almost-unstoppable ability to slash to the basket and finish at the rim, show-stopping highlight-reel dunks (his alley-oop flush in the Class 4A, Section 5 final against Osseo Friday brought even Orioles fans to their feet) and his newest specialty, hitting the outside jumper."

Also named as Co-Player of the Year in Minnesota and then this just a moment ago:

The Mr. Basketball Committee is pleased to announce that McKinley Wright of Champlin Park is the winner of the 2017 Mr. Basketball Award.

Just now, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Seconded. He might be thinking there is a chance he loses RoJo and JBJ.

And then in that case, maybe.

Green, Newkirk, CuJo.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Plus a legit shot at some great PG's in 2018...

Hard to see his point guard abilities in that vid. But his stats speak for themselves, and he uses his body like an elite player.

Compared to Tremont? Not the same level. But we need a PG, and I'm sure CAM is waaaay better at judging talent than me.

Last thing. CuJo could make a big jump. He was nasty in high school, I think he has a lot more than we've seen.

6 minutes ago, Stromboli said:

Hard to see his point guard abilities in that vid. But his stats speak for themselves, and he uses his body like an elite player.

Compared to Tremont? Not the same level. But we need a PG, and I'm sure CAM is waaaay better at judging talent than me.

Last thing. CuJo could make a big jump. He was nasty in high school, I think he has a lot more than we've seen.

He looked so good in the non-con, just disappeared in the Big Ten.

Video interview with McKinley; extensive discussion about his feelings re Archie leaving for IU:

"Is Indiana a possibility, do you think?"

"I was told there was a spot for me at Indiana. I don't really know how I feel about that right now. Like I said, I'm just gonna give it some time and, let everything kinda mellow down."

Looks like if Dayton elevates Tom Ostrom to head coach, he's staying with Dayton, and if Archie brings Ostrom to IUBB McKinley is definitely a Hoosier. FWIW...I checked the ten or so candidates that the Dayton board foresees as next head coach options, and while current Dayton asst coach Kevin Kuwik is one of them, there is absolutely no mention of Ostrom as a potential option. The interviewer really pushes McKinley hard on the recruiting issue.

http://kstp.com/sports/mckinley-wright-reflects-on-eventful-weekend-dayton-indiana-mr-basketball/4437405/

I would expect us to take either Al Durham or McKinley Wright, with Wright the more likely of the two. Durham has a Georgia Tech feel to him now. They are pursuing Durham, they had a nice year, and Pastner is a good recruiter.

1 hour ago, Stuhoo said:

Video interview with McKinley; extensive discussion about his feelings re Archie leaving for IU:

"Is Indiana a possibility, do you think?"

"I was told there was a spot for me at Indiana. I don't really know how I feel about that right now. Like I said, I'm just gonna give it some time and, let everything kinda mellow down."

Looks like if Dayton elevates Tom Ostrom to head coach, he's staying with Dayton, and if Archie brings Ostrom to IUBB McKinley is definitely a Hoosier. FWIW...I checked the ten or so candidates that the Dayton board foresees as next head coach options, and while current Dayton asst coach Kevin Kuwik is one of them, there is absolutely no mention of Ostrom as a potential option. The interviewer really pushes McKinley hard on the recruiting issue.

http://kstp.com/sports/mckinley-wright-reflects-on-eventful-weekend-dayton-indiana-mr-basketball/4437405/

Makes sense as it sounds like Ostrom is more of a pure recruiter than coach.