Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

ccgeneral

Hutch interview with Ted Kitchel

7 hours ago, Old Friend said:

Wondering where you come up with this stuff?  (I guess you did say your imagination)  This has not been Dakich's mantra at all.  Never.  He has never once mentioned he would like to be consulted or have anything to do with the hiring process.  He does believe Indiana is a unique place and should have someone in the seat who understands; but Dakich and Kitchell are very different people with very different perspectives.  Dakich is as real as real gets.   There's a lot of vitriol toward him, and I just don't get it.  I doubt there's anyone on this board who cares about IU as much as he does.   He can be boorish and a blowhard; but that's what he's paid to do.  He has - by far - the highest rated sports show in Indy for a reason.  I am interested in his take on things, now that a decision has been made.

Full disclosure: I am a Dakich fan. He's direct, interesting, entertaining, and knows plenty about basketball from a real insider's view, infused with complexity and substance.

However, I heard his take on things via his appearance this morning on Mike & Mike, and I was not impressed or amused: After Greeny asked him why Alford turned the IUBB job down, Dakich must've felt like he shouldn't perpetuate that myth, and said he wasn't sure why Glass didn't offer it to Alford and that the whole thing was strange. Dakich knows why; he just didn't want to tell it like it was re Alford's past, coaching record, and Alford's apparent fairly divisive personality. 

Dakich then went back to his mantra about how it shouldn't have mattered because he wouldn't have let Crean go. He then said the only reason he could think of to have let Crean go was that IU needed to recruit the state of Indiana better, and that this year there were five big-time kids in Indiana and Crean never even had them on campus!

At that point it was clear that Dakich was just flat out proactively lying (unless you want to call it hyperbole, but usually hyperbole has an element of the audience understanding that you're exaggerating to make a point, and the Mike & Mike audience has no such thing). He!!, Wilkes and Scruggs practically lived on IU's campus and at AH during high school, and Malik Williams made more than one visit. I'm pretty sure we gave it a go with Jaren Jackson too. Not even sure who was the fifth in-state player he was referring to; Bowen, Brunk, Gunn (if so, he also lived at AH). The real point here, and Dakich knows it, is that the kids and coaches who knew Crean best, the in-state people, did not want to play for Crean. Period.

Anyway, this was Dakich at his worst; using his effective and entertaining presentation skills to perpetuate what he knew was bullshirt, and I found it very disappointing.

9 hours ago, Aaron said:

Kitchel has always been Mr. Salty and he sounds like the NC St. fans on their board who are mad Archie turned them down for us. It would of been one thing if Glass made a terrible hire or brought in a shady character but that is not what happened.

In my opinion Alford was the worst candidate possible so the fact that Kitchel wanted him discredits what he said immediately. As long as Archie wins big (which I think he will) I have no interest in what an old bitter former player said.

Totally agree with you about Alford here. I pretty much hadn't been on the boards all last week because I didn't want to see any talks of Alford. I had absolute no interests in the guy! Sounds like maybe Kitchel needs something to do with his time?

9 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Full disclosure: I am a Dakich fan. He's direct, interesting, entertaining, and knows plenty about basketball from a real insider's view, infused with complexity and substance.

However, I heard his take on things via his appearance this morning on Mike & Mike, and I was not impressed or amused: After Greeny asked him why Alford turned the IUBB job down, Dakich must've felt like he shouldn't perpetuate that myth, and said he wasn't sure why Glass didn't offer it to Alford and that the whole thing was strange. Dakich knows why; he just didn't want to tell it like it was re Alford's past, coaching record, and Alford's apparent fairly divisive personality. 

Dakich then went back to his mantra about it shouldn't have mattered because he wouldn't have let Crean go. He then said the only reason he could think of to let Crean go was that IU needed to recruit the state of Indiana better, and that this year there were five big-time kids in Indiana and Crean never even had them on campus!

At that point it was clear that Dakich was just flat out proactively lying (unless you want to call hyperbole, but usually hyperbole has an element of the audience understanding that you're exaggerated to make a point, and the Mike & Mike audience has no such thing). He!!, Wilkes and Scruggs practically lived on IU's campus and at AH during high school, and Malik Williams made more than one visit. I'm pretty sure we gave it a go with Jaren Jackson too. Not even sure who the fifth in-state player he was referring to; Bowen, Brunk, Gunn (if so, he also lived at AH). The real point here, and Dakich knows it, is that the kids and coaches who knew Crean best, the in-state people, did not want to play for Crean. Period.

Anyway, this was Dakich at his worst; using his effective and entertaining presentation skills to perpetuate what he knew was bullshirt, and I found it very disappointing.

Didn't hear it, but yeah...that's disappointing.

Wondering where you come up with this stuff?  (I guess you did say your imagination)  This has not been Dakich's mantra at all.  Never.  He has never once mentioned he would like to be consulted or have anything to do with the hiring process.  He does believe Indiana is a unique place and should have someone in the seat who understands; but Dakich and Kitchell are very different people with very different perspectives.  Dakich is as real as real gets.   There's a lot of vitriol toward him, and I just don't get it.  I doubt there's anyone on this board who cares about IU as much as he does.   He can be boorish and a blowhard; but that's what he's paid to do.  He has - by far - the highest rated sports show in Indy for a reason.  I am interested in his take on things, now that a decision has been made.

Local news channel ABC had him on last night and while he said he was the one pushing for Alford and an Indiana guy he thought Archie is a good choice. He said some other interesting things. I will try to find it and post it

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

That's the thing a lot of people don't realize that some of the wild and crazy things he says are part of his job. If it gets you to listen to his show then it worked. Personally I love Dakich, whether I agree with him or not(I usually do) no one can deny the guys love for IU.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

That's the thing a lot of people don't realize that some of the wild and crazy things he says are part of his job. If it gets you to listen to his show then it worked. Personally I love Dakich, whether I agree with him or not(I usually do) no one can deny the guys love for IU.

Every group has an *******. He is our *******.

I used to agree with you. I used to like Dakich, he was honest with his opinion and gave reasoning for it. However now he just says stuff to get clicks over anything else. He seems to constantly attack other athletes in sports he never played and acts like he's the greatest thing that sports broadcasting has ever seen and knows everything. I lose respect for him everytime I hear him talk. I do still enjoy his game calling as he has good insight as to what's going on many others don't have, but outside of his color commentating I don't care for him much at all anymore.

Kitchell was a great player for Indiana. He played injured a lot of the time, but always left it on the floor. Ted and Wittman were legendary shooters and we're masterful at using the bank shot which IMO is a lost art. I don't discount his contributions to Indiana basketball, but I do of his opinion of the latest coaching search. Glass got the right guy to lead us back.

I'm kind of surprised that Wittman and Woodson had any interest.  Both would bring many things to the table (outstanding players, NBA players & coachIng), but neither one has ever been on a college staff.  If they're interested in getting into college coaching, they should spend a year or two on the bench and out on the recruiting trail before honestly hoping to be considered as a HC (and why would they, really).  This doesn't even touch the fact that Randy is 57 and Mike is a couple of years older - that's kind of old to begin a new career that's supposedly more demanding than the NBA.

Local news channel ABC had him on last night and while he said he was the one pushing for Alford and an Indiana guy he thought Archie is a good choice. He said some other interesting things. I will try to find it and post it

If anyone want to see that dakich interview you need to go to Dave Furst twitter page (sports anchor) and he has a link to it

Have there even been any former IU players that have been consistently successful as a coach?  Alford comes close, and nobody even wanted him, after Steve there's nothing to pick from.  You have to go outside of the IU family if you want to being in a successful coach.

11 hours ago, Old Friend said:

Hah! There is nothing real about Dakich, all of the junk that spews out of his mouth is said to create drama and attention for himself. I don't respect people like that. I love the fact that his boyfriend Alford wasn't hired despite his best efforts to make it happen.