Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Archie Miller  

265 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the hire?

• Good Hire
    • Bad Hire
    • Wait and see/I really just don't know
    • I don't have a logical opinion because I thought Donovan was realistic

I have to say Archie won me over with his comments about Davis getting into playing shape. I see Davis as a kid with incredible potential, soft but dependable hands, nice touch on his free throws, willing to bang and mix it up inside. The only thing he lacked last year was that he seemed awkward, as though he hadn't yet adjusted to being as tall as he really is. If this conditioning program puts him where he's mastered that, we will be in great shape.

If all the rumors (JBJ, OG and Bryant gone pro) are true, I really like our chances to finish as high as third in the B1G (2nd if by some miracle both Swanigan and Vince Edwards go pro). A front line of Juwan, Hartman and Davis with Moore and Smith as primary backups (and McSwain as insurance against another injury) looks good to me. We're a little backcourt heavy, and I'd suggest someone (CuJo perhaps) be redshirted, but whether it's CuJo, Green or Al D. who gets to wear red needs to be determined by who shows the least likelihood of being our PG.

1 hour ago, incrediboy said:

I have to say Archie won me over with his comments about Davis getting into playing shape. I see Davis as a kid with incredible potential, soft but dependable hands, nice touch on his free throws, willing to bang and mix it up inside. The only thing he lacked last year was that he seemed awkward, as though he hadn't yet adjusted to being as tall as he really is. If this conditioning program puts him where he's mastered that, we will be in great shape.

If all the rumors (JBJ, OG and Bryant gone pro) are true, I really like our chances to finish as high as third in the B1G (2nd if by some miracle both Swanigan and Vince Edwards go pro). A front line of Juwan, Hartman and Davis with Moore and Smith as primary backups (and McSwain as insurance against another injury) looks good to me. We're a little backcourt heavy, and I'd suggest someone (CuJo perhaps) be redshirted, but whether it's CuJo, Green or Al D. who gets to wear red needs to be determined by who shows the least likelihood of being our PG.

I don't see why anyone would redshirt, especially a sophomore. I don't think I've ever heard of a guy playing his freshman year and redshirting the next year. Green should be an important piece this year.

43 minutes ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I don't see why anyone would redshirt, especially a sophomore. I don't think I've ever heard of a guy playing his freshman year and redshirting the next year. Green should be an important piece this year.

With that mob of guards plus Johnny Jager and Zack McRoberts from the walk-on crowd, playing time will be very thin for some of the guys. Only one can emerge as our PG, and I don't think that will be RoJo or Newkirk -- but both of them will eat up a large percentage of guard minutes. I think someone redshirting in the backcourt makes sense.  I believe Green is the most likely candidate to emerge as our point man. How much PT does that leave for Curtis or Al? Unless someone gets hurt, I think it makes sense to give one of the group an extra year because the PT just won't be there this year. Just my opinion.

2 minutes ago, incrediboy said:

With that mob of guards plus Johnny Jager and Zack McRoberts from the walk-on crowd, playing time will be very thin for some of the guys. Only one can emerge as our PG, and I don't think that will be RoJo or Newkirk -- but both of them will eat up a large percentage of guard minutes. I think someone redshirting in the backcourt makes sense.  I believe Green is the most likely candidate to emerge as our point man. How much PT does that leave for Curtis or Al? Unless someone gets hurt, I think it makes sense to give one of the group an extra year because the PT just won't be there this year. Just my opinion.

Nobody is going to red shirt we are likely running 3 guard line ups and more than likely our walk ins and Gelon won't get PT. Long shot on Al getting PT also. 

At this point I would be shocked if anybody redshirted. At the same time I have no clue what his vision sees that Crean didn't in practice. Crean threw some out there we had no clue why. At the same time he also sat others who should have been on the floor. I have a feeling we will be a very different team for better or worse with some kids.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

4 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Off the top of my head, Todd Leary (could be Todd Lindeman) I'll have to research to clarify.

Might be wrong, but sure seems like that's the case.

5 hours ago, HoosierHoops1 said:

Off the top of my head, Todd Leary (could be Todd Lindeman) I'll have to research to clarify.

Might be wrong, but sure seems like that's the case.

Just looked up Todd Leary's situation. He redshirted his sophomore year after a knee injury (medical red shirt). Wouldn't be comparable to Green or Cujo. Those two will provide some much needed guard minutes this year. 

1 hour ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Just looked up Todd Leary's situation. He redshirted his sophomore year after a knee injury (medical red shirt). Wouldn't be comparable to Green or Cujo. Those two will provide some much needed guard minutes this year. 

Green should be the stater tbh

Yes, most definitely should be. As newkirk for a solid backup

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Green ,to be a point has a lot of work to do.He was very loose with the ball and tended to try and force the issue a bit to much for me.I like the kid but Im not sure he's the answer there.Durham, the guy most want to write off seems more of a fit to me.
Its a new day and we have a coach who has stated emphatically that valuing possessions will be a priority.We can speculate all we want but the guards are all auditioning for jobs.

7 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Doesn't Archie use 3 guard lineups? Newkirk and Green will both likely start. 

I think it will be DD, Hartman, Juwan, RoJo, and Newkirk.  That's 3 seniors, a junior, and a sophomore.

First guards off the bench are CuJo and Green.  First bigs off the bench (this is the scary part) are Justin Smith, Freddie.  Priller will get more time next year.  With what we've seen of him, he isn't as bad as his playing time may suggest.  And Clifton?  Really, really hard to tell right now.  I think he'll come in for short stretches, but not more than 8-9 minutes a game.

I think you guys saying Green will start over Newkirk are bonkers.  Green averages more turnovers than assists.  I think he'll be better this year, for sure.  And he did something to impress Archie, which is cool, too.  But still, Newkirk is one of the assets we have left.  There were some dark times last year when he was at least out there still playing the game.  Newkirk has a good attitude, and he'll be a 5th year senior PG.  That's the kind of guy you leave on the floor.  

RoJo will definitely start.  And really, he should be our best player at this point.  It would be nice if he would accept the role and all that entails.  

CuJo is, in my opinion, really underperforming at this point.  I mean this in the nicest way possible.  Go back and watch some of his highlight videos from high school.  The dude had moves and swagger.  Something interrupted that during the season, sometime after the Kansas game.  I hope Archie has the key to unlock some of that, because the kid can really play.  

Finally.  Justin Smith.  I'm convinced he's ready for Big Ten ball.  He plays so physical and confident.  He's already strong.  His demeanor is chill and a little angry.  I think he'll average 9ish points a game, with a couple 25 point games this year.  I really think he'll be a huge contributor for us, and a mainstay on the floor for many years. 

13 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Lindeman redshirted as a sophomore after avg 3 and 2 as a freshman.

18 minutes ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Regardless of how many examples you find, it's ridiculous to suggest Green should be redshirting this year. He may be a starter with JBJ gone.

No one is hunting for examples.

The question was asked and I answered.

I thought I had forgotten more about Indiana basketball than you will ever know, but as it turns out, I haven't forgotten.

I'm just messing with you.

20 hours ago, Stromboli said:

I think it will be DD, Hartman, Juwan, RoJo, and Newkirk.  That's 3 seniors, a junior, and a sophomore.

First guards off the bench are CuJo and Green.  First bigs off the bench (this is the scary part) are Justin Smith, Freddie.  Priller will get more time next year.  With what we've seen of him, he isn't as bad as his playing time may suggest.  And Clifton?  Really, really hard to tell right now.  I think he'll come in for short stretches, but not more than 8-9 minutes a game.

I think you guys saying Green will start over Newkirk are bonkers.  Green averages more turnovers than assists.  I think he'll be better this year, for sure.  And he did something to impress Archie, which is cool, too.  But still, Newkirk is one of the assets we have left.  There were some dark times last year when he was at least out there still playing the game.  Newkirk has a good attitude, and he'll be a 5th year senior PG.  That's the kind of guy you leave on the floor.  

RoJo will definitely start.  And really, he should be our best player at this point.  It would be nice if he would accept the role and all that entails.  

CuJo is, in my opinion, really underperforming at this point.  I mean this in the nicest way possible.  Go back and watch some of his highlight videos from high school.  The dude had moves and swagger.  Something interrupted that during the season, sometime after the Kansas game.  I hope Archie has the key to unlock some of that, because the kid can really play.  

Finally.  Justin Smith.  I'm convinced he's ready for Big Ten ball.  He plays so physical and confident.  He's already strong.  His demeanor is chill and a little angry.  I think he'll average 9ish points a game, with a couple 25 point games this year.  I really think he'll be a huge contributor for us, and a mainstay on the floor for many years. 

I also think Green will & should start over Newkirk in the PG position.... if we run 3 guards (which we will at times but hope that is NOT the starting lineup) I think Josh is the 3rd for sure but I think he is better suited to be the 2nd/3rd guard vs the lead PG.... he has his attributes; his drives (if he learns how to finish consistently), his demeanor, his experience, etc but he doesn't have the vision that Devonte has, he doesn't have the "IT" that makes those around him better.... I see that in Green. I also give Green a little bit of a pass on the more turnovers than assists as that was part of playing in FCTC system.... and trying to make things happen that the other guys may not have been ready for.... after playing and practicing with him for longer they will see those passes coming. I think he is just as strong a defender as Josh as well, if not better.