Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Archie Miller  

265 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the hire?

• Good Hire
    • Bad Hire
    • Wait and see/I really just don't know
    • I don't have a logical opinion because I thought Donovan was realistic

"Who they've been coached by", doesn't matter as much as, "style they were recruited to play"

We are in the 2nd season with his recruits and year 1, had his 2nd highest rated recruit miss the entire year, and his point guard, recruited to play his style (which many consider to be our best on ball defender) missed much of last year  (or was recovering from a concussion) and half this year so far.

I think Rob P was what we missed against UW.

What style is Archie’s? Both can play defense right? Are you saying Archie isn’t a good enough coach to mold players after 3 years? It’s not like either had ever been coached into bad habits. They’ve only learned from Archie. They are his recruits. They are his guys. Plain and simple.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

They do hush about every hire. That doesn’t mean what the media puts out doesn’t get to recruits. You can have both happen simultaneously when it fits my narrative. Otherwise forget I said this.

I am in the crowd that still has a lot of faith in Archie. I feel like he has the coaching ability and recruiting ability to keep us at the top of the BIG every year. However, he still has to prove that he can get it done on the court. To this point he has not. 

I totally understand the crowd that is already losing faith and are anxious. This is year three and to date there have been some embarrassing losses. We lost 12/13 at one point last year and it was nearly unbearable to watch any of those losses. The team still struggles shooting and it does not seem that will change any time soon. The defense continues to struggle when that is supposed to be the calling card. There are a lot of aspects of the program to question right now. 

However, it IS still too early to say he cannot get it done and is not the guy for the job. It is NOT too early to question whether he is or is not the guy. He will either prove it or he won't. To this point he has not proven it on the court, which deserves some questioning and criticism. 

Here's to hoping he is the guy and this can all be put to rest. Go Hoosiers. 

You can change it, but it’s fact. Media fished about Archie. They did about Shaka when he went to Texas. Taggart when he went to Florida State. Charlie Strong when he went to Texas. When the Knicks hired Fizdale. When the Knicks hire their next coach. Because sometimes, they get it right. At the same time when they constantly promote specific schools, biased towards specific schools or conferences or cover specific school with a different tone, kids see that. Recruits see it. It can hurt Indiana. While the same time, the media having a love fest over the Archie hire can mean nothing.

You can change it, but it’s fact. Media fished about Archie. They did about Shaka when he went to Texas. Taggart when he went to Florida State. Charlie Strong when he went to Texas. When the Knicks hired Fizdale. When the Knicks hire their next coach. Because sometimes, they get it right. At the same time when they constantly promote specific schools, biased towards specific schools or conferences or cover specific school with a different tone, kids see that. Recruits see it. It can hurt Indiana. While the same time, the media having a love fest over the Archie hire can mean nothing.

What’s truly funny is I only recall Texas getting the love you are talking about with those hires with Shaka.

They got it with Strong. It happens even if it isn’t a good hire. Like Cuonzo Martin going anywhere.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Ha yes, the the people that actually covered Texas thought it was a great hire. A black man that had never recruited the state of Texas went out first week recruiting to Florida instead of the state of Texas. Yes they were very welcoming......

Ha yes, the the people that actually covered Texas thought it was a great hire. A black man that had never recruited the state of Texas went out first week recruiting to Florida instead of the state of Texas. Yes they were very welcoming......

Never said they ended up liking him.

I know alot of us are in agreement this year we need to make the tournament. I dont think he gets fired if we dont but my criteria changes for next year. If he just simply makes the tournament and loses first or second round and doesn't finish 1 or 2 big ten or win big ten tournament I will then be ready to say this isn't enough. Does anybody agree next year needs more if we miss or barely squeak in this year

Sent from my SM-G960U using BtownBanners mobile app

I know alot of us are in agreement this year we need to make the tournament. I dont think he gets fired if we dont but my criteria changes for next year. If he just simply makes the tournament and loses first or second round and doesn't finish 1 or 2 big ten or win big ten tournament I will then be ready to say this isn't enough. Does anybody agree next year needs more if we miss or barely squeak in this year

Next year it depends on who stays. If Al, Smith and TJD all stay, we should be contending for the Big Ten title and definitely starting out ranked. Unless we absolutely bomb this season.

Never said they ended up liking him.

Joe that was the week he was hired when the locals were already complaining about him because the hire was underwhelming. ESPN does not equal everyone. Archie was universally respected. Big difference. Shaka was universally respected (though if you look at my early prognosis of him to Texas I said it wasn’t a good fit). Strong was not and that’s why you got made fun of for putting him on your artificial dream list “when” we fire Tom Allen this year..... You are always going to have some positive. That doesn’t make it universal. Archie was.

Making the tournament is progress for me. Progress isn’t always linear. The tournament is a crapshoot and is based off matchups. Consistently being a top 3-5 team in B1G with a top 5 seed in the tournament is how you sustain success. As long as we are progressing towards that consistently I am cool.

14 minutes ago, coonhounds said:

Depends on the roster. Does TJD return? If not, expectations change. Still make the NCAA’s, but how good of a conference season depends on the roster. 

Joe that was the week he was hired when the locals were already complaining about him because the hire was underwhelming. ESPN does not equal everyone. Archie was universally respected. Big difference. Shaka was universally respected (though if you look at my early prognosis of him to Texas I said it wasn’t a good fit). Strong was not and that’s why you got made fun of for putting him on your artificial dream list “when” we fire Tom Allen this year..... You are always going to have some positive. That doesn’t make it universal. Archie was.

And they are looking wrong on Archie. He’s just an average coach. Not even sure he’s as good as his brother.

How many recruits do you think watch ESPN? How much do you think ESPN makes up of their way of sports information? 50%? 75%? 90%? Being in good shape with ESPN is pretty huge. That goes from games aired to recruiting rankings.

How many recruits do you think watch ESPN? How much do you think ESPN makes up of their way of sports information? 50%? 75%? 90%? Being in good shape with ESPN is pretty huge. That goes from games aired to recruiting rankings.

Something tells me a recruit is more in the weeds than just listening to ESPN to shape their opinion.

And they are looking wrong on Archie. He’s just an average coach. Not even sure he’s as good as his brother.

Well that’s your opinion which has been proven wrong more than most on here, and you are still relatively new at this. So there is that. But I guess that happens when you try and look at everything in a vacuum. You do you Joe. It’s worked out well so far.

Something tells me a recruit is more in the weeds than just listening to ESPN to shape their opinion.

You think so? You dint think they care even just a little always seeing UNC, Duke and Kentucky? Alabama, Clemson and Ohio State? Dint think it means anything at all?

Well that’s your opinion which has been proven wrong more than most on here, and you are still relatively new at this. So there is that. But I guess that happens when you try and look at everything in a vacuum. You do you Joe. It’s worked out well so far.

Tony Bennett proved me wrong. That’s about it. Justin Smith has proven me right so far this year.