Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Archie Miller  

265 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the hire?

• Good Hire
    • Bad Hire
    • Wait and see/I really just don't know
    • I don't have a logical opinion because I thought Donovan was realistic

31 minutes ago, kreigh8 said:

Maybe not the place for it but does Brunk concern you yet? I can’t imagine Reuvers stacking up in the upper half of bigs in the BIG and he embarrassed Brunk. Bad game or a sign of things to come? Only going to get tougher outside a few teams as conference play ramps up. Honestly asking your thoughts

Edit: mods feel free to move - I finally read the forum guidelines and this breaks a thread derailment rule so if this becomes a warning - Id accept that and pay the consequences I guess

Brunk's slow.  He doesn't concern me at all because it's not like he was a dominant player at Butler, either.  He is who he is.  He's played better than he did yesterday, but that's true for the entire roster.   If it were limited to Brunk and HE was the reason Indiana lost, I'd have a different opinion.  But yesterday was a team effort.  

My thoughts are simply that Al Durham (a Crean recruit) is slow for a ball handler and can't guard the ball very well.  Against Wisconsin who's patient and well coached, that's a bad recipe.  Franklin is not a ball handler but is being asked to.  Green is a scorer first and foremost.  The back court is playing out of position.  All 3 of them.  Anderson playing 20 minutes isn't a good recipe.  Our roster isn't yet perfect and we need a big AND a point guard in the next 2 classes.  We need the shooters we've recruited.  (We are still not there from a shooting standpoint)   

The holdovers from Crean are Green and an injured Deron Davis who moves like he's in a 50 and over league at the Y.  Brunk is needed because Davis didn't get his quickness or his lift back.  I do think Brunk will help and be better than that in the end.

Wisconsin got and made shots early and the game got out of hand.  That happened.  Is it a sign?  Was the Marquette game a year ago when we made everything a sign?  Was Duke's loss to Stephen F Austin a sign?   I don't buy "signs."  Sports aren't linear....one result rarely dictates the next; that's why sports books make money.   Time will tell in my opinion.  I like our roster and I see it as a work in progress.  I do not yet love it.  I want to win as much as the next guy and I still firmly believe a top 5-6 finish in the Big Ten and an NCAA berth with a decent seed are in the cards for Indiana this season.   And I think Indiana will be terrific next season assuming TJD stays, and yesterday showed he needs to.  If I'm right?  A lot of people will be silenced.  If I'm wrong?   Archie's seat starts to get warm.   Simple as that in my mind.

Edit :  What DOES concern me a little is the leadership of this team.  I don't think there's a natural leader in the junior or senior class; and a couple of them seem to deflect opportunities to lead..Smith in particular.  I also think Phinisee has some growing up to do.  I think yesterday showed some "let me make a play for myself" stuff that can become a problem if not addressed.  I'm raising antennae, but not yet alarmed.

2 minutes ago, Old Friend said:

Brunk's slow.  He doesn't concern me at all because it's not like he was a dominant player at Butler, either.  He is who he is.  He's played better than he did yesterday, but that's true for the entire roster.   If it were limited to Brunk and HE was the reason Indiana lost, I'd have a different opinion.  But yesterday was a team effort.  

My thoughts are simply that Al Durham (a Crean recruit) is slow for a ball handler and can't guard the ball.  Against Wisconsin who's patient and well coached, that's a bad recipe.  Franklin is not a ball handler but is being asked to.  Green is a scorer first and foremost.  The back court is playing out of position.  All 3 of them.  Anderson playing 20 minutes isn't a good recipe.  Our roster isn't yet perfect and we need a big AND a point guard in the next 2 classes.  We need the shooters we've recruited.  (We are still not there from a shooting standpoint)   

The holdovers from Crean are Green and an injured Deron Davis who moves like he's in a 50 and over league at the Y.  Wisconsin got and made shots early and the game got out of hand.  That happened.  Is it a sign?  Was the Marquette game a year ago when we made everything a sign?  Was Duke's loss to Stephen F Austin a sign?   I don't buy "signs."  Sports aren't linear....one result rarely dictates the next; that's why sports books make money.   Time will tell in my opinion.  I like our roster and I see it as a work in progress.  I do not yet love it.  I want to win as much as the next guy and I still firmly believe a top 5-6 finish in the Big Ten and an NCAA berth with a decent seed are in the cards for Indiana this season.   And I think Indiana will be terrific next season assuming TJD stays, and yesterday showed he needs to.  If I'm right?  A lot of people will be silenced.  If I'm wrong?   Archie's seat starts to get warm.   Simple as that in my mind.

Good insight for sure. I for sure wasn't implying Brunk was the reason for the loss my question was just an unfortunate way of singling him out, but more so as I worry what other big guys in the BIG more talented than Reuvers might do to us with Brunk in.

I agree with the guards being out of position, need to get Rob back healthy ASAP. I'd much rather have Franklin handling the ball without Rob than Durham, personally. Durham dribbling makes me incredibly uneasy. Yogi spoiled me maybe, but the feelings I get when Durham is the primary ball handler is reminiscent of when Verdell was around and we didn't have many options then, perhaps we still don't.

The one thing I would disagree with is Anderson. I thought he was about the only guy I could pinpoint that actually cared Saturday, I thought he played hard, which makes me very happy as I didn't think he'd make it past the season and would be a transfer candidate so I'm very happy to eat my words on that through 9 games. 

13 minutes ago, kreigh8 said:

Good insight for sure. I for sure wasn't implying Brunk was the reason for the loss my question was just an unfortunate way of singling him out, but more so as I worry what other big guys in the BIG more talented than Reuvers might do to us with Brunk in.

I agree with the guards being out of position, need to get Rob back healthy ASAP. I'd much rather have Franklin handling the ball without Rob than Durham, personally. Durham dribbling makes me incredibly uneasy. Yogi spoiled me maybe, but the feelings I get when Durham is the primary ball handler is reminiscent of when Verdell was around and we didn't have many options then, perhaps we still don't.

The one thing I would disagree with is Anderson. I thought he was about the only guy I could pinpoint that actually cared Saturday, I thought he played hard, which makes me very happy as I didn't think he'd make it past the season and would be a transfer candidate so I'm very happy to eat my words on that through 9 games. 

I dunno' about Reuvers, but he's averaging 15ppg and shooting ~50% from the floor.  His numbers have been pretty steady this year, and he's had a couple of similar games.  One against a then-ranked St. Mary's team. And he's a junior who's played in 71 games in his career,  He's clearly a smart player, and he had a great game.  Others may NOT have great games.  I guess I don't believe yesterday is a predictor anymore than I think Duke's loss the other night was a predictor.  

I agree on Durham, but I believe strongly that a team's primary ball handler HAS to be either a facilitator or a badass scorer.  With Phinisee out, Indiana is using 3 combo guards to do that job, and none of them are close to as good defending the ball as Phinisee is.   I just meant Anderson isn't ready for 20 minutes a night from a skill standpoint.

Archie 17-24 in B1G.

Fred Glass made promises about why he is switching from Crean. I certainly expected results sooner. So did he, but he’ll never admit it. Archie thought he could be Sean. Can’t recruit like Sean. Will his strategy of getting old work? It should be better than we are seeing but are we going to be delivering on those Glass promises? I’m not convinced we are.

I guess we just deal this year. Next year is my final year of waiting. My red flags are at half mast.

Concerned about 2021 recruiting.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

Archie 17-24 in B1G.

Fred Glass made promises about why he is switching from Crean. I certainly expected results sooner. So did he, but he’ll never admit it. Archie thought he could be Sean. Can’t recruit like Sean. Will his strategy of getting old work? It should be better than we are seeing but are we going to be delivering on those Glass promises? I’m not convinced we are.

I guess we just deal this year. Next year is my final year of waiting. My red flags are at half mast.

Gut feeling is the 2021 recruiting class will be a let down for most people given the expectations.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Archie 17-24 in B1G.

Were you ever in the camp of after Glass and Archie’s comments that it would be year 3 or 4? For some reason I thought I remember talking about it in a rebuild thread. One where one of your patients said something to you. Or did getting Romeo change expectations from your original thought?

Were you ever in the camp of after Glass and Archie’s comments that it would be year 3 or 4? For some reason I thought I remember talking about it in a rebuild thread. One where one of your patients said something to you. Or did getting Romeo change expectations from your original thought?

2 thoughts.

Sell low, deliver high. I hoped that 3, 4 year talk was just hyperbole to buy time and lower expectations.

Yes, Romeo changed things a bit.

Didn’t expect much year 1 but after that, the gloves are off.

I’m still waiting, I figure he gets next year no matter how this year goes. I think we end up a fringe team again this year. Not sure if I really expect a ton better next year either. Coaching isn’t great, roster isn’t great.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

1 hour ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

He won’t last at Georgia. Though Georgia doesn’t have any expectations considering how the terrible the program has been historically.

He brought in the 10th ranked recruiting class in the nation according to 247 in 2019 and has signed the #4 and #7 players in the nation for 2020.  And you think he won't last in a place where the program has been terrible?

36 minutes ago, brumdog45 said:

He brought in the 10th ranked recruiting class in the nation according to 247 in 2019 and has signed the #4 and #7 players in the nation for 2020.  And you think he won't last in a place where the program has been terrible?

Well A) more to it than recruiting and B) he does not have the 4th and 7th player in 2020 

K looks disappointed but totally in control. Not sure your point. 

His point is that you can take any picture and make a judgement statement that fits whatever narrative you’d like, which is exactly what your doing.

3 minutes ago, Walking Boot of Doom said:

His point is that you can take any picture and make a judgement statement that fits whatever narrative you’d like, which is exactly what your doing.

Feel free to watch the video and tell me how a guy playing with his lips and repeating the platitudes he’s said 30+ times now strikes you as somebody in control of the situation 

Feel free to watch the video and tell me how a guy playing with his lips and repeating the platitudes he’s said 30+ times now strikes you as somebody in control of the situation 

Seems like a guy who just had to deal with his team getting waxed. Seems like you’re trying to extrapolate this into something bigger.

11 hours ago, Brass Cannon said:

I don’t get judged by one bad day. But I sure as hell would have been shown the door if for 2 years I was making the same mistakes and my employees continued to see uninterested and lazy. 

That happened for 2 years? I could have sworn just 5 days ago we were anything but disinterested and lazy when we beat a ranked FSU.

6 hours ago, Walking Boot of Doom said:

Seems like a guy who just had to deal with his team getting waxed. Seems like you’re trying to extrapolate this into something bigger.

He’s supposed to deal with it by not letting it happen on a regular basis.