Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Archie Miller  

265 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the hire?

• Good Hire
    • Bad Hire
    • Wait and see/I really just don't know
    • I don't have a logical opinion because I thought Donovan was realistic

Yep, some of the "I told you so'ers" are having fun today

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

If that's what brings them joy in life, then I hope they have a great day. I, on the other hand, will have some celebratory bourbon and prepare myself for the rest of the offseason. Great day to be a Hoosier.

He has no track record of success?   He's won back to back conference titles and has averaged 26 wins per season over the last for.  He had an elite eight at Dayton versus the final four that Crean had (when he had Dwayne Wade).
C'mon.

I am going to be open minded & give him a chance. I was hoping for better Proven record and that was from Fred Glass not me . He has won a lot but it's the Atlantic 10 turn the page !
Good luck Archie keep some in state talent around IU !! Go Hoosiers !!!!!!

I am in both groups--I am in the all in crowd since he is now our coach and will support him 100 percent. But I am in the wait and see crowd as far as whether he will get it done. I certainly hope so. We have been in the wilderness long enough.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

I am pretty happy with this hire. I have watched quite a bit of their games this year and in the past (more this year with possible opening). I know Josh and I discussed this quite a bit over the last couple of months. Defensively he is far better than Crean fundamentally. Offensively you can tell he was a PG in college. He wants his PG to make plays, but wants movement. The weave and heave is dead. Get familiar with the 2-1-2 cause that is what we run now.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

But can he recruit Indiana? Does/did he have Indiana kids at Dayton?

Evan Daniels thinks so. Look. Everyone knows that was a priority in this search. A coach that will prioritize this state more than Crean did.

http://www.indystar.com/story/sports/college/indiana/2017/03/25/no-doubt-archie-miller-make--state-recruiting-priority/99626730/

Archie will do a great job. He knows his stuff, has recruited at the highest level, and will surround himself with great people. Excited for off season news and to see who will be on the roster next year. He will have a pretty full cupboard and I bet he will use them and put them in a position to succeed.

Hoosier born, Hoosier 4 life!!

6 minutes ago, mdn82 said:

Evan Daniels thinks so. Look. Everyone knows that was a priority in this search. A coach that will prioritize this state more than Crean did.

http://www.indystar.com/story/sports/college/indiana/2017/03/25/no-doubt-archie-miller-make--state-recruiting-priority/99626730/

It is great that he is going to make it a priority, but did he make it a priority while at Dayton?  Does he have those established ties to Indiana HS coaches?  If not, I would not expect he can come into the state and expect to dominate in-state recruiting. Although i guess that we have to assume that Glass vetted him with the HS coaches, right?

I've not stopped smiling ear to ear. This is such a great motherf@cking hire

Yes i just wish more people felt same way. Not sure how you can be mad this is archie first big job he has a decent record lets see what he can do with this opportunity. If nothing else be happy crean is gone and a new exciting era is beginning.

Sent from my SM-G920V using BtownBanners mobile app

It is great that he is going to make it a priority, but did he make it a priority while at Dayton?  Does he have those established ties to Indiana HS coaches?  If not, I would not expect he can come into the state and expect to dominate in-state recruiting. Although i guess that we have to assume that Glass vetted him with the HS coaches, right?

That is correct. When he was at OSU he was a main recruiter there. He would have worked in the state. Zach Osterman had an article citing an AAU coach in this state that talked about it being a huge hire. High school coaches were consulted too on various coaches. Miller has a chance to come out of the gate strong tbh. This aspect will probably make or break his tenure based on what various people around the program want.

29 minutes ago, coonhounds said:

Yes i just wish more people felt same way. Not sure how you can be mad this is archie first big job he has a decent record lets see what he can do with this opportunity. If nothing else be happy crean is gone and a new exciting era is beginning.

Sent from my SM-G920V using BtownBanners mobile app

I love your avatar haha

Ehhh, he's not a train-wreck hire like Alford, Hoiberg or Fife- but from what I've read not really sure Glass even looked for, let alone hired, the best coach available. Seems like he settled for a reasonably hot name, over paid him and banked on the fact he's new and shiny (ie NOT Crean). Completely under-whelmed.

I think Miller is in over his head, but can't blame him. Glass choked under pressure. I read on here last night that Donovan said IU never contacted him. THAT is pathetic.