Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

CrossboneIU22

Welcome Coach Miller

39 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

^^This^^

There have been more than a few posters, really good ones, who have privately told me they were leaving because they believe this board and other boards have become dominated by posters who seem to flood the place with redundant posts about how terrible everything is instead of rooting for IU.

These are people who state that they can plainly see flaws in team performance, but that they come here for enjoyment, and redundant negativity is not enjoyable. To me, that is extremely disappointing. And it takes a lot for me to get discouraged.

For this level of redundant outrage and negativity to follow a bad loss to the number 4 team nationally is, IMO, complete overkill.

Of course I see that the program is not crushing it, but there is not nearly enough discussion of the road forward or the potential of the team, at least not compared to so many posts by some effectively saying “Hooray for me cause I told you we were gonna suck.”

Of course, there are many that this doesn’t apply to, but I worry that the ones this does apply to are drowning the others with the volume and frequency of their sadness.

Hell, I had to delete posts AGAIN in the CJ Gunn thread about what CJ will do when the coach gets fired. That’s just terrible, joy sucking, self-defeating stuff on multiple levels. And if you think differently? Yikes.

Rant almost over. I sincerely hope that Archie and the guys rip off a four game winning streak and shove it up the naysayers’ collective  #%*.  Probably won’t happen but absolutely possible.

Rant now over: Go IU.

I understand why those posters feel that way. There are some people on here who can be excessive, extreme, and tiresome. Heck, I probably contribute to it too even though it’s not intentional. But it’s the result of watching four straight years of boring, uninspired, and bad basketball. It’s made worse by the fact that there are two teams in our own conference currently ranked in the top 10 who hired their coaches at the same time we did. On one hand, Saturday’s game was a bad loss to the #4 team in the country. On the other hand, it was a reminder of how far our program is from where we want it to be.

I’d love for Archie and the team to win four straight, go deep in the conference tournament, and make a run in the NCAA tournament. I like everything about Archie except for the product he puts on the court. Unfortunately, I think it’s more likely that we drop two of the next three games and then get run out of Mackey Arena. 

Our fate next year almost completely fall on the decision of TJD. If he leaves, as some people in the know have suggested he will, next year is going to be incredibly ugly. With our best player probably leaving, and no one on deck to replace him, I have a hard time feeling any optimism for our team’s short-term future.

1 hour ago, Stuhoo said:

^^This^^

There have been more than a few posters, really good ones, who have privately told me they were leaving because they believe this board and other boards have become dominated by posters who seem to flood the place with redundant posts about how terrible everything is instead of rooting for IU.

These are people who state that they can plainly see flaws in team performance, but that they come here for enjoyment, and redundant negativity is not enjoyable. To me, that is extremely disappointing. And it takes a lot for me to get discouraged.

For this level of redundant outrage and negativity to follow a bad loss to the number 4 team nationally is, IMO, complete overkill.

Of course I see that the program is not crushing it, but there is not nearly enough discussion of the road forward or the potential of the team, at least not compared to so many posts by some effectively saying “Hooray for me cause I told you we were gonna suck.”

Of course, there are many that this doesn’t apply to, but I worry that the ones this does apply to are drowning the others with the volume and frequency of their sadness.

Hell, I had to delete posts AGAIN in the CJ Gunn thread about what CJ will do when the coach gets fired. That’s just terrible, joy sucking, self-defeating stuff on multiple levels. And if you think differently? Yikes.

Rant almost over. I sincerely hope that Archie and the guys rip off a four game winning streak and shove it up the naysayers’ collective  #%*.  Probably won’t happen but absolutely possible.

It’s not debatable that some have left because of the negativity, but I would say that without a doubt, the last 20 years has taken a bigger toll on the fanbase and boards. 
You might as a mod, but I don’t see droves of new posters coming here or the other boards either. It’s a lot of the same names that have been around since the davis/Sampson/early crean years. The reason those existed was because of the Knight years but there weren’t boards then for the most part.

we’ve been on autopilot for 20 years and we aren’t backfilling with new, young, passionate fans like we used to and when the diehards that saw the Knight era are gone, we will officially be no different than Penn State, Nebraska, Rutgers etc.

there is going to be attrition of fans on boards, had a few losses here and on the other boards but normally there would be a influx of new blood but that isn’t happening. That’s not because of the negativity, it’s because of the losing and how the brand of basketball over the past 4 years has become a snooze fest.

it’s not fun to debate whether we are going to come in 11th or 9th in the bigten. Winning cures all

10 minutes ago, Treesh said:

my initial reaction to Archie being hired lol 

You were likely right but there shouldn’t be any joy in that. I wouldn’t say the hire blew most of us away. I didn’t have the same reaction that you but I kinda shrugged, really felt nothing, kinda like I do now.

Fred Glass mislead people when he shares his criteria... I don’t think Archie was who he described 

2 hours ago, Stuhoo said:

^^This^^

I can say that two posters in particular who used to post a lot but don't anymore are extremely condescending name callers.  When somebody would post that Miller would not be a good coach, they responded with insults.  So they can dish it but they can't take it?

A lot of people here may disagree with Chicken Sandwich, but I have never seen him name call another poster.  Yet the pumping mob has no problem doing it.  This board would be a lot better if we discussed the subject matter rather than name call the ones we disagree with.  Wayne is right, there can be a large mob mentality here that loves to bash "negative posters".  

There are also pumpers who are extremely repetitive with their comments, yet they complain about dumpers doing the same.  Again...if you can dish it, you should take it.

If people who are fans of this program don't want to hear anything negative, they should switch to shows about gardening.

^^This^^

I'm actually a member of a couple FB pages on which I don't participate much. The posts there would make some of those here seem like saints. One of the things that really bugs me is Rob's dad is a member there, and I've seen people post really crappy things about his son. ... I cannot imagine how that 1) makes him feel; 2) reflects on the fan base. ... If I had a child and they played a sport and got destroyed on social media every other game, I don't think I'd take it very well.

As far as here, some days I just laugh and some days, I just have a facepalm.

I'm getting frustrated like everyone else, and I get negative during games, but other than that -- I try to look forward as much as possible. And that ain't easy -- there are some here who post a dozen times a day that Archie sucks. OK, we get it. 

I'm still waiting for some to blame the pandemic on Archie! 

^^This^^

If people are upset and down about the reality of the program they should create topics on all the things that we have to be optimistic on.  Stop blaming the people who see this program for what it is. 

1 hour ago, MikeRoberts said:

Winning cures all

And that’s the bottom line. If we were a top 15 team with a great recruiting class coming in, all would be well. A few might still be negative for whatever reason, but the forum would be bustling with positivity. We saw it during football season.

I don’t really visit other teams’ forums, but I have to imagine the Ohio State ones are pretty positive right now. Michigan’s too (minus their Covid issues). Kentucky’s, on the other hand, are not. The negativity on here is a reflection of the state of IU’s program. 

35 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

And that’s the bottom line. If we were a top 15 team with a great recruiting class coming in, all would be well. A few might still be negative for whatever reason, but the forum would be bustling with positivity. We saw it during football season.

I don’t really visit other teams’ forums, but I have to imagine the Ohio State ones are pretty positive right now. Michigan’s too (minus their Covid issues). Kentucky’s, on the other hand, are not. The negativity on here is a reflection of the state of IU’s program. 

I think this is the clear and correct assumption. We’ve been bad for a long time with the only real sunlight being the coaches hirings and the Romeo recruitment. Everything else hasn’t brought excitement. A random nice win followed by a worse loss.  We would have made the tourney last year, that might have helped a little depending on our showing although no one really expected us to make noise.  This year is very similar.  The football program had a phenomenal year and new fans and excitement were bursting at the seams.  How long does Archie get?  Probably 1 more year.  

43 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

My initial reaction to the Archie Hire.  It wasn’t a serious hire.  The only serious hire since Knight was Sampson. 

I thought it was a decent to good hire after the home run options were eliminated.  I wanted a home run.  

outside looking in, Archie looked the same or better than Holtman, The Cheater at Illinois, or even later Juwan Howard.  

archie just hasn’t meet or exceeded the challenge for whatever reason. 

On 3/25/2017 at 12:35 PM, Hovadipo said:

So happy this is over, and very happy it ends with us getting Archie. If you want to jump off the ledge, then bye. I couldn't care less. I'm excited for the future.

JOHNNY, TELL ME WHAT I’VE WON!!!

14 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

I thought it was a decent to good hire after the home run options were eliminated.  I wanted a home run.  

outside looking in, Archie looked the same or better than Holtman, The Cheater at Illinois, or even later Juwan Howard.  

archie just hasn’t meet or exceeded the challenge for whatever reason. 

Any hire is a crapshoot.  It’s all about being willing to cut the anchor once it’s obvious the coach is that. 

Frankly it’s been obvious since last year.  Archie can’t or won’t fix these glaring weaknesses with his teams.  There’s no future with him.  

Crean for all his faults would occasionally build a team that was able to compete. 

1 hour ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

I think this is the clear and correct assumption. We’ve been bad for a long time with the only real sunlight being the coaches hirings and the Romeo recruitment. Everything else hasn’t brought excitement. A random nice win followed by a worse loss.  We would have made the tourney last year, that might have helped a little depending on our showing although no one really expected us to make noise.  This year is very similar.  The football program had a phenomenal year and new fans and excitement were bursting at the seams.  How long does Archie get?  Probably 1 more year.  

I expect 2-3, they'll want to give him plenty of time to make a real mess so there's built in excuses when the next subpar coach they hire doesn't perform.

45 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

Any hire is a crapshoot.  It’s all about being willing to cut the anchor once it’s obvious the coach is that. 

Frankly it’s been obvious since last year.  Archie can’t or won’t fix these glaring weaknesses with his teams.  There’s no future with him.  

Crean for all his faults would occasionally build a team that was able to compete. 

Crean was infuriating because he showed us what it could be again. It could be fun to be an IU fan, we could recruit, we could win, we could play a fast paced, fun style but it never lasted. 
the fact that he could make all that happen was the best and worst thing that happened to us because it proved it could be done here and that it could be good here again

3 minutes ago, JSHoosier said:

I expect 2-3, they'll want to give him plenty of time to make a real mess so there's built in excuses when the next subpar coach they hire doesn't perform.

That’s right. You should never wait until the fanbase has completely become apathetic and recruiting has dried up, it’s too late then a mild rebuild is in the cards at a minimum. We’re toeing that line. One more season of getting the pants beaten off us by our rivals is going to lead to the administration telling us to be patient and a significant rebuild is needed