Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

CrossboneIU22

Welcome Coach Miller

To be honest, what it comes down to, is that knowing that Donovan was interested 2 years ago in combination with FG's press conference and his list of things that he wanted in the next coach really led me to believe that we were going to get Donovan.  Perhaps my expectations were too high.  
I have nothing against AM, other than I am a little concerned about his age and the fact that while he was successful at Dayton, he does not have experience as a HC in a major conference, so it is tough to know how he will do on the big stage of the Big 10.  Now, I know that the response that I get back will be "...but we hired Knight when he was young and a relative unknown."  Yes, I get it, but I think the days of having a coach at one place for 20+years is past and we want results sooner rather than later.  I am not talking instant gratification here, but by year three, IU needs to be completing for a Final Four.
From all of the press conferences and interviews that I have listened to, he is saying all of the right things.  Love the fact that he is the son of a coach, he played college ball and has a certain "blue-collar" attitude/work ethic.  Sounds like he will mold these young men into upstanding representatives of the university of which we, as alumni and fans, can be proud of.  Love the fact that he is defense oriented, but still wants to run, when it is there and that he wants to own the state.  I was not looking for the hire to be "an IU guy" but by all accounts AM fills that.  That is my nutshell.  

That is perfectly fair. I don't think there is a right or wrong until we see what we do. Depending on how the boys buy in I think we got a team this upcoming season. I think we can get an answer quick to what this is going to be. I am probably biased at this point, but the mentality is the biggest thing we have missed in the last 20 years. I just feel this hire from both a fit for the fans and coaching will be a good marriage for IU.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

So I was talking to one of my friends who is a purdouche fan and I said IU is going to be good next year. But he said a coach doesn't make a difference. While we were in high school we had a coach exactly like crean and he just had all the players jack up threes and we had two straight 0-21/23 seasons. Then our school fired that coach and brought back our retired coach who has over 300 wins, actually held players accountable, had an actual* offense and focused on defense. He said there is no correlation between them. I don't know how someone who first hand witnessed how much a coach can change a culture and team. Not really miller related other than the fact that we went from an incompetent coach who just wanted threes to a coach that holds players accountable and makes them defend but didn't really know where else to put it. That and I just wanted to share how oblivious some Purdouche fans really are

I'm guessing we figure out who one of our assistants is this weekend. My guess is Ostrom. I'm sure Archie wants to get out on the recruiting trail for the April eval

pLdp8CBg_bigger.jpgZach OstermanVerified account @ZachOsterman  3m3 minutes ago More Replying to @ZachOsterman

Knight followed up with his own estimation: "You folks get behind him, and I think you're gonna enjoy some good basketball." #iubb

Apparently CAM is RMK approved...

I know I shouldn't care at this point what Knight thinks --but part of me still does. Knight was the Coach I grew up with and while I did not agree with everything he did or said ---I would have ran through a brick wall for him as a student. Glad he approves of Archie and I still hold out a faint hope of an IU/Knight reunion someday. Maybe Archie can get that done. As I posted on here a few years back--we'll Motel 6 Knight for now---meaning we will leave the light on for him but he will actually have to come knock on the door if he wants to return.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

11 minutes ago, rebelhoosier848891 said:

I know I shouldn't care at this point what Knight thinks --but part of me still does. Knight was the Coach I grew up with and while I did not agree with everything he did or said ---I would have ran through a brick wall for him as a student. Glad he approves of Archie and I still hold out a faint hope of an IU/Knight reunion someday. Maybe Archie can get that done. As I posted on here a few years back--we'll Motel 6 Knight for now---meaning we will leave the light on for him but he will actually have to come knock on the door if he wants to return.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

I share your exact sentiment rebel. I wasn't around for '40 and '53, so any older posters on here correct me; but to me; RMK established IU as a top 5 blue blood forever. If you look at RMK strictly as a basketball coach and what he brought to the game; he is one of the greatest ever to coach at any level.  So to me, if he is endorsing Archie; I think that speaks volumes to Miller's ability. 

Tough, hard-nosed defense; on 1/2 court O sets- screening/ cutting/ working for good shots, running and looking for easy buckets BASED on your D pressure.. sounds like Archie/ IU hoops to me..

6 minutes ago, SteelerHoosier said:

What's this noise I hear about RMK calling Donoher to ask about Coach Arch? 

RMK gave a talk last night in B-town and stated he called Donoher about Miller; Donoher gave him an endorsement and RMK told the crowd to "get behind him that we would enjoy his type of basketball."

3 minutes ago, hoosierbannerd said:

RMK gave a talk last night in B-town and stated he called Donoher about Miller; Donoher gave him an endorsement and RMK told the crowd to "get behind him that we would enjoy his type of basketball."

Good deal. 

On 3/29/2017 at 2:26 PM, Scooter D said:

To be honest, what it comes down to, is that knowing that Donovan was interested 2 years ago in combination with FG's press conference and his list of things that he wanted in the next coach really led me to believe that we were going to get Donovan.  Perhaps my expectations were too high.  

I have nothing against AM, other than I am a little concerned about his age and the fact that while he was successful at Dayton, he does not have experience as a HC in a major conference, so it is tough to know how he will do on the big stage of the Big 10.  Now, I know that the response that I get back will be "...but we hired Knight when he was young and a relative unknown."  Yes, I get it, but I think the days of having a coach at one place for 20+years is past and we want results sooner rather than later.  I am not talking instant gratification here, but by year three, IU needs to be completing for a Final Four.

From all of the press conferences and interviews that I have listened to, he is saying all of the right things.  Love the fact that he is the son of a coach, he played college ball and has a certain "blue-collar" attitude/work ethic.  Sounds like he will mold these young men into upstanding representatives of the university of which we, as alumni and fans, can be proud of.  Love the fact that he is defense oriented, but still wants to run, when it is there and that he wants to own the state.  I was not looking for the hire to be "an IU guy" but by all accounts AM fills that.  That is my nutshell.  

To put it in perspective, when Florida hired Billy Donovan in 1996, his only head coaching experience was at Marshall for two years, where he didn't make the tournment. He was 31 years old... Rick Pitino was 37 when he took the Kentucky job and he only had mediocre success with smaller programs and as an assistant with the Knicks before that. Similarly, Bob Knight coached Army for 6 seasons where he won some games, but didn't have any kind of major success.. He was hired by Indiana at the age of 31, and we know how that played out.

Archie has accomplished more at a "mid-major-ish" program in 6 seasons, than alot of other extremely successful head coaches did before they were hired for their first major gig. 

36 minutes ago, hoosierbannerd said:

I'll admit I was pretty amazed to read the accounts of RMK's talk.  Very complimentary about CAM being our new coach and he even wore a red sweater.  However, I did see that the program for the event only listed his tenure at Texas Tech.  Truly an enigma.