Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

CrossboneIU22

Welcome Coach Miller

I had a good long talk yesterday with a coworker who is originally from Dayton. He follows the the Flyers almost as much as he follows UK. We discussed the possibilities of renewing the UK rivalry, the recruiting Archie has done, and most importantly his basketball IQ.

Overall he was pretty upset that Dayton lost him, while also being happy IU landed him. This is coming from a guy, who has found any reason possible, to give me **** for being the only IU fan at work. Like him, I believe the general consensus around the college basketball world, is that they are ready for us to be relevant again. They, like MOST of us, are excited to see Archie make us compete again.

Personally, I was a little upset after the announcement like a few others. Although, after spending the entire day reading other coaches opinions, seeing his body of work as a whole, and thinking about where we were just a couple of months ago, I went to bed fairly excited. I firmly believe the only way to go from here is up.

That being said, even though I'm going to miss my Belgian Ales, I'm ready to start stocking my fridge with Millers, and enjoying IU basketball again.

1)  Since Archie is an ex-point guard, I'd love to see him over in Illinois and reel in Mark Smith as his first recruiting coup and send a very loud message.

2)  Still haven't heard any reaction from '17 Justin Smith unless I missed it.

3)  How many days do we need to hold our breath waiting for possible transfer out annoucements?

1 minute ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:
1)  Since Archie is an ex-point guard, I'd love to see him over in Illinois and reel in Mark Smith as his first recruiting coup and send a very loud message.

2)  Still haven't heard any reaction from '17 Justin Smith unless I missed it.

3)  How many days do we need to hold our breath waiting for possible transfer out annoucements?

He's already reached out to the recruits who backed out when Crean got fired. And I have a gut feeling once the team meets him nobody is going anywhere.

I think that there are some reasons to be positive. Having Knight pretty much ruined our fan base. He is the greatest college coach ever, and because of his character flaws there was never a shot at a smooth transition. Now many of us are left with expectations that no one could meet. If Miller can hold kids accountable for their mistakes on the floor, instill a tough defense and emphasize decision making on offense he will do fine. He is not what glass advertised, but he deserves a fair chance.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using BtownBanners mobile app

Agreed 1000%. Archie may not be that "home run" that we were all looking for but he is damn close. At first I was apprehensive of this hire (mostly because my head had been filled with illusions of grandeur thinking that we would get Billy) however most of the mainstream media, commentators and above all Dayton fans have helped me change my opinion. The numbers don't lie, if anything they tell me that he is a good coach. Im willing to give the man a chance, at the very least he is twice if not 3x better than Crean which is good enough for me.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Anyone else surprised Crean hasn't landed anywhere yet? Barely in the gossip mill. Wonder if he can pull off the Georgetown job.

He'd take Chuck with him right in his recruiting backyard. Could be a solid match.

Really curious to see how Crean's career unfolds.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

I'm getting excited guys.

Archie knows BB. Really hoping we can retain most of our team.

I bet we see better team defense and smarter play day1.

I really hope bryant and morgan and jbj return to see if archie can improve each one individualy and make them better as a team also

Sent from my SM-G920V using BtownBanners mobile app

Anyone else surprised Crean hasn't landed anywhere yet? Barely in the gossip mill. Wonder if he can pull off the Georgetown job.

He'd take Chuck with him right in his recruiting backyard. Could be a solid match.

What jobs are still open out there for him? I haven't been following all of that so I'm curious as to where he could land?

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

I really hope bryant and morgan and jbj return to see if archie can improve each one individualy and make them better as a team also

Sent from my SM-G920V using BtownBanners mobile app

Yes. Improving them as a team (defense in particular) would be the biggest and easiest net gain. We pissed away so many close games this season.

I think while the national media hyped him up, people who are in charge of basketball decisions to make aren't really all that high on him. They've seen what he's done at a place like IU and there's not a ton to be excited about. I don't see him at a "basketball school" for a long time. I've thought for a while that he should try to get a spot in the league as an assistant in a player development role. That seems to be the area where he excels the most.

Sent from my DMC-CM1 using BtownBanners mobile app

I liked that video! I keep hearing Archie is a great X and Os coach and better than his brother. It sounds good and all but what are the facts that back this up? Also I am glad Calipari thinks he is a great hire but knowing that he is family, I wouldn't expect him to say anything less. I am causiously optimistic here.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using BtownBanners mobile app

2 hours ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Dayton, Duquesne, UMass, Georgetown.

That's about it.

Wouldn't that be a hoot if Crean took the Dayton opening?   LOL    Don't know if anyone wants to follow the Thompson family at G'town but then again, Crean was willing to step in on the heels of Sampson so who knows.  Of the 4 you mentioned G'town is the only one I think he'd truly be interested in because he at least stays in the 'major leagues' but from what I've read it also seems to be the least likely landing spot for him.   Is an NBA asst. position possible?  D-League?  

27 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

I'm getting excited guys.

Archie knows BB. Really hoping we can retain most of our team.

I bet we see better team defense and smarter play day1.

Glad you're finally coming around man!

I'm just like most others. During the season id have been stoked for this change but after that presser the bar was set so high.

I'm still worried if he can get the recruits we need. That's my only real worry.

I think I read that 10/10 starters in last year NCAA title game were top100 kids.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners