Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

CrossboneIU22

Welcome Coach Miller

http://albersangle.com/indiana-hires-archie-miller/   

I would have thought that Albers would have made his first comment one of apology for spreading the Donovan stuff yesterday! 

What about apologies from every other person that had Donavon "sources"

Sent from my SM-T377V using Tapatalk

Then if he wants to gain any credibility back, he needs to name his source, and make an apology.  In IU circles, he stepped all over himself in a big way.  He probably should have double and triple checked the source, before making the type of claim he made, and then when the info started coming out about Donovan being at practice, should have either gone silent, or given up some kind of proof.  

I've never met Justin, and he could be a really good guy, but as a reporter........ 

How many journalists reported it was Alford as the new coach and were adamant about it. Where is your call for their apology? Or is because you were so sure it was Donovan because of his claims (along with many others who had "sources ") and were set on him?

Archie Miller was named as the 29th head coach in program history Saturday. The hiring came after more than a week of rumors and speculation since the firing of Tom Crean on March 16.

Inside the Hall reached out to national writers across the country to get their input. Did Indiana make the right decision? Will Miller be able to handle the pressures of the Indiana job?

Here are all of the responses we received:

Eamonn Brennan, ESPN.com:

Archie Miller is a rightfully lauded coach. It makes sense that he’d been the up-and-coming guy. When you look at the potential options Indiana had – whether those options were theoretical or practicable – I think if you’re an Indiana fan, a decision like this should make you feel a lot more confident in the direction of the program and the athletics program in general. As opposed to what I’ve criticized off and on at Indiana or at least tried to understand better, which is the whole ‘it’s gotta be someone with Indiana ties. Someone who went here is a bonus. Someone who played here. Someone who is from the state.’ It’s all well and good if those things happened to be true about the best possible coach. But if they’re not, they shouldn’t override what you end up doing. They shouldn’t determine hires. For me, hearing Fred Glass’ press conference, and who knows what has transpired in the past (nine days) since Crean was fired, but I think getting away from that idea and just going out and trying to find the best coach you can, and having the benefit of him being just down the road, not far away in Dayton, knowing the midwest well, and having recruited there. 

To me, it was kind of a no-brainer. A month ago, if someone would have asked me ‘if things don’t work out for Tom Crean, who do you think the next coach will be?’ I would have said Archie Miller. And then you get into the (coaching) process and it actually happens. Every message board starts freaking out and everybody lists every conceivable candidate. People start texting each other about whether Billy Donovan is in Bloomington when he’s not. It was easy to think ‘maybe Indiana will pick something kind of crazy with their hire. Who knows here?’ But you get back down to it and it’s kind of the obvious and predictable, but sober and intelligent choice at the same time.

It’s a good hire. It seemed that there was a slight possibility that Indiana would go totally crazy and swing for the fences and try and get someone they couldn’t. Or they would go the sentimental, nostalgic, provincial route with a guy like Steve Alford, who has been coaching for a long time and his record is pretty mixed. I think that this season of UCLA being really good shouldn’t have overridden most of that. Doing what Indiana ended up doing, to me, is a decision based on coaching competence, potential, and where the program can go in the future, as opposed to where it’s been in the past.

National voices weigh-in on Archie Miller hire

More at el LINKO

Can we assume Tony turned down the job? Shouldn't that be a little alarming?.. 

Why? If he is happy where he is at, why change? Early on in my military career, I turned down a promotion which would require a transfer because I loved my unit and wasn't ready to leave. Maybe that was TB's motivation.

He has lost all credabilty in my book. I think he said something about alford earlier that was flat out false also. I will no longer follow him personally.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

Was he the only one wrong about either or both? I'm not defending him. I'm trying to figure out the wrath for him, but not others who led so many posters astray these past 9 days.

Neither Dayton nor Wichita State deserved to go home on the first weekend. Dayton got pretty screwed with their draw.
Also, while we can talk about Archie's last of consistent impressive tourney success, the fact is he's taken a program that was used to going to the tournament every once in a while and taken them to 4 straight NCAA tournaments including an elite 8. (4 tournament appearances over 4 years, Dayton had been rewarded with 4 total appearances over the last 8 years before he got there). That's a solid body of work anyway you slice it. 
I know some people have concerns about his recruiting, but it's a lot easier to attract talented players to IU than it is to Dayton. 

4 straight NCAA Tournaments. They had only been to 4 in the 21 yrs before they hired him.

To be honest, I know a little about Archie Miller so if you don't mind a couple questions:
Are we gonna see that stupid weave and kick offense or something along those lines?
Can he teach a F$&%€£# entry pass!?
Can he coach against a zone?
Defense wise, man or zone?
Fast pace or slow down?

I know very little in fact but, I did have opportunity to watch two Dayton games this season. Offensively I saw a team that scores in transition. Pushes the ball up the court very quickly. Half-court was a bit of a motion offense with multiple screens. Mostly geared around the break however. Was very similar to Crean. Another offense that will lose to Wisconsin. Sorry, just my opinion.
Defensively they were great. Very aggressive high IQ team. I heard someone on here say they ran a 2-1-2? Not what I saw. They picked up a half court man for every second I watched. Tournament game I saw on tv was half court man all the way too.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app