Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

CrossboneIU22

Welcome Coach Miller

After my state of euphoria finally let my feet get back on the ground last evening, I listened to the presser a second time.  The slip of the tongue when Glass said "in the league" followed by a noticeable pause and then followed by "in the tournament" certainly points to Stevens or Donovan.  The other thing that Glass was pretty adamant about was connections to IU or Indiana.  How does Donovan meet that criteria?

After my state of euphoria finally let my feet get back on the ground last evening, I listened to the presser a second time.  The slip of the tongue when Glass said "in the league" followed by a noticeable pause and then followed by "in the tournament" certainly points to Stevens or Donovan.  The other thing that Glass was pretty adamant about was connections to IU or Indiana.  How does Donovan meet that criteria?

So --your read is maybe Stevens is still in play? Hope you are correct--that would be a home run hire.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Dakich doing a full IUBB hour nationwide on Mike and Mike. Pushing hard for us to hire an IU guy.
It's the complete IUBB experience for the whole country smack dab in the middle of the tournament.
Love it.

Greenberg was not happy with IU last night on SVP. Agreed it was time for Crean to move on, but hated that the day became a 12 hour "IU infomercial." I assume the NCAA shares those feelings and it's why their coverage didn't say much of anything about it (that I saw).

2 minutes ago, rebelhoosier848891 said:

So --your read is maybe Stevens is still in play? Hope you are correct--that would be a home run hire.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

I don't know if Stevens is in play or not, but the emphasis on Indiana connections certainly suggests him more than Donovan unless there's something in Donovan's background that I'm just not familiar with

Glass knows this needs to be a home run hire. I think that eliminates Archie, White, Holtmann, Marshall, and may eve even Alford.

Alford- Why downgrade to IU? He has Kris Wilkins coming in, he's got another ball brother coming, LA, weather, UCLA. Do I need to say more? UCLA to IU is quite the downgrade.

Marshall- Proven winner in an easy conference yes. Let him prove himself at a big school before a blue blood like IU

He's said people have already called him about the job, that makes me a little worried in a sense. I'm worried a John Groce might appear..

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Greenberg was not happy with IU last night on SVP. Agreed it was time for Crean to move on, but hated that the day became a 12 hour "IU infomercial." I assume the NCAA shares those feelings and it's why their coverage didn't say much of anything about it (that I saw).

That's why the timing was ingenious... we are relevant even though we are not playing in the tourney. Glass impressed me yesterday.

1 hour ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

If you want to reach a bit, Vic is on his OKC roster.

A strain yourself type of reach, as player and assistant coach he saw IU at it's peak up close.

9 hours ago, 716e11th said:

Can IU realistically wait for donvan's season to end? If OKC makes say the 2nd round, that's into May right?

The roster is over the scholarship limit - that needs to be dealt with.

Don't want too many recruits or current players to jump ship bc then ur talking a longer rebuild.

The combination of IU and Donovan greatly reduces, or completely eliminates, any 'rebuild'.

6 hours ago, Ricochet said:

What IU needs is a coach that takes them to the next level hence the reason why Crean is gone and many of the names mentioned are just not up to par IMO. 

For example Marshall is horrible route to go, IMO.  He's not a step up from Crean, infact he's more or less Crean 9 years ago. 

I'm just not sold on Archie to anything more than Crean.

Bennett would IMO be a better hire than those two above though I'm not a fan of his style but he would make a good coach but I don't think he takes the program to the next level.

It's obvious that the Stevens and Donovan are the the walk-off grand slam hires.  

But if the Hoosier are going to ever get back there true elite status they need to make the commitment and be spend what needs to be spent and making changes where they can to attract elite talent and they've shown some of that with IU having the largest recruiting budget even though they didn't get the results for the money spent.  The point is if IU needs to have the highest paid coach then so be it and make it happen if thats what needed to get an elite coach.   Because not only will that contract pay for it's self if IU gets back that elite status but that there is going rush on elite coaches here soon with some of these coaches getting closer and closer to retirement.

More or less?  His record completely demolishes Crean's even if you take out the last 9 years.

There is literally no comparing their track records, at all.

What did Glass say that eliminates Marshall?  He's been to a Final Four.  He's been dominant in both leagues he's coached in.  You can say Crean went to a Final Four.  Yes he did, but he also never dominated his league.  In fact he never won a conference title with Marquette without D Wade.  Never finished above 3rd without D Wade.  Marshall on the flip side though he's been in the lesser MVC, his teams have beaten multiple top 5 power schools just about every season in the pre-conf.   Heck, he played better pre-conf schools than IU did under Crean.  So it wasn't like they were beating up on cupcakes to pile up wins.   

I get Marshall has that scary factor because he's not been at a major conference yet.  Neither did Jay Wright, John Calipari, Brad Stevens, or Billy D before they made it big at their first stop in a power 5 conference.   He's basically the same age as Donovan, 3 years old.  They guy also speaks his mind and has a big time edge to him.  He doesn't stand on the sidelines and shuffle papers or pace the sidelines and clap like a cheerleader.  

Either way, Donovan, Stevens, Bennett, Marshall - will be thrilled with any of those.  For all those who argue for Archie Miller, give me 5 reasons his 6 seasons at Dayton are better than Marshall?  Don't get the love of Miller over a proven commodity like Marshall.  Age isn't a factor.  If Miller is hired and fails at IU, his age doesn't matter one bit. 

What did Glass say that eliminates Marshall?  He's been to a Final Four.  He's been dominant in both leagues he's coached in.  You can say Crean went to a Final Four.  Yes he did, but he also never dominated his league.  In fact he never won a conference title with Marquette without D Wade.  Never finished above 3rd without D Wade.  Marshall on the flip side though he's been in the lesser MVC, his teams have beaten multiple top 5 power schools just about every season in the pre-conf.   Heck, he played better pre-conf schools than IU did under Crean.  So it wasn't like they were beating up on cupcakes to pile up wins.   
I get Marshall has that scary factor because he's not been at a major conference yet.  Neither did Jay Wright, John Calipari, Brad Stevens, or Billy D before they made it big at their first stop in a power 5 conference.   He's basically the same age as Donovan, 3 years old.  They guy also speaks his mind and has a big time edge to him.  He doesn't stand on the sidelines and shuffle papers or pace the sidelines and clap like a cheerleader.  
Either way, Donovan, Stevens, Bennett, Marshall - will be thrilled with any of those.  For all those who argue for Archie Miller, give me 5 reasons his 6 seasons at Dayton are better than Marshall?  Don't get the love of Miller over a proven commodity like Marshall.  Age isn't a factor.  If Miller is hired and fails at IU, his age doesn't matter one bit. 

He eliminated Marshall first 3 minutes of the presser

"We don't want anyone abusive or similar situations"
http://www.kansas.com/sports/college/wichita-state/article94747032.html

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

He's abusive?  I'd venture to say "abusive" relates to players.  He was defending his players in that video.  Is that a normal occurrence? Or an isolated one?   I imagine Donovan whipped his misbehaving 5 year old's butt before, he must be abusive.  Next 

I don't get Bennett. I like the defensive mind set but I think he swings too far in this direction and I think it'll be hard to win a NCAA title with this mentality.
He's never won a title. He had 2 ACC titles in 8 years. Three sweet 16's, one elite 8.
Him and Alford are way low on my wish list.

1 hour ago, 716e11th said:

I don't get Bennett. I like the defensive mind set but I think he swings too far in this direction and I think it'll be hard to win a NCAA title with this mentality.
He's never won a title. He had 2 ACC titles in 8 years. Three sweet 16's, one elite 8.
Him and Alford are way low on my wish list.

He's hardly a one trick pony his teams are usually ranked pretty high in offensive effficiency. 

Seth Greenburg is an idiot.  On Mike and Mike this morning IU coaching search was the topic, and Seth was saying it's obvious Alford is the guy, which it's not, but that's not my biggest gripe.  They asked about selling points for IU, of course the tradition, and recruiting the state of Indiana were a couple key points, but Seth goes on to say that IU's facilities are only fair, not as nice as many of the elite programs.  Fair?  Fair?  Seriously?  

Seth Greenburg is an idiot.  On Mike and Mike this morning IU coaching search was the topic, and Seth was saying it's obvious Alford is the guy, which it's not, but that's not my biggest gripe.  They asked about selling points for IU, of course the tradition, and recruiting the state of Indiana were a couple key points, but Seth goes on to say that IU's facilities are only fair, not as nice as many of the elite programs.  Fair?  Fair?  Seriously?  

I did agree with him on one point though. IU's next step would be a "Mark Cuban Btown Baller's Lodge." IU needs to build a basketball dorm east of Fee Lane north of 17ty Street. Easy access to Cook and Assembly Hall. That would put IU amongst the best in the nation.

1 minute ago, HoosierAloha said:

I did agree with him on one point though. IU's next step would be a "Mark Cuban Btown Baller's Lodge." IU needs to build a basketball dorm east of Fee Lane north of 17ty Street. Easy access to Cook and Assembly Hall. That would put IU amongst the best in the nation.

Yep not sure what our accommodations look like but I have seen UKs and I can't imagine ours are in the same league.