Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

CrossboneIU22

Welcome Coach Miller

Agree. Instead of using a coach that everyone wants a smoke screen, use more of a controversial / less wanted pick.

Also if he used Billy D as a smokescreen and one got all of the fan bases hopes up to settle for Alford he would be receiving thousands of hate calls/emails. You dont use someone as high as Billy D as a smokescreen period. The Chris Mack thing makes sense but definitely not Billy D. -99.9% chance of that.

Sent from my LGLS676 using BtownBanners mobile app

2 minutes ago, AZ Hoosier said:

Understood... but I reject the premise of the statement...

And if it's the facilities and recruiting ground, why wouldn't it make ALL coaches better? Why only "about 5"?

I think that is pretty much what he was saying.... I could be wrong because he did only mention a hand full of players, but if you ask me IU makes every coach except Kansas, Duke, UNC, UK coaches a better coach. I am admittedly bias. But we are not getting any of those 4 coaches. So he was basically saying that people spitting off coaching numbers and records why this coach deserves the job and why this one doesn't can be used, but taken with a grain of salt, because a good coach becomes a great coach with facilities, budget and recruiting ground like IU has.

1 minute ago, Uwe Robb said:

I think that is pretty much what he was saying.... I could be wrong because he did only mention a hand full of players, but if you ask me IU makes every coach except Kansas, Duke, UNC, UK coaches a better coach. I am admittedly bias. But we are not getting any of those 4 coaches. So he was basically saying that people spitting off coaching numbers and records why this coach deserves the job and why this one doesn't can be used, but taken with a grain of salt, because a good coach becomes a great coach with facilities, budget and recruiting ground like IU has.

... for all coaches not named Tom Crean ...

Also if he used Billy D as a smokescreen and one got all of the fan bases hopes up to settle for Alford he would be receiving thousands of hate calls/emails. You dont use someone as high as Billy D as a smokescreen period. The Chris Mack thing makes sense but definitely not Billy D. -99.9% chance of that.

Sent from my LGLS676 using BtownBanners mobile app

Definitely. I guess my point is I feel there are two groups: 1) Alford 2) Donovan. Whenever something gets leaked from either group, the other group yells louder the next day. The hard part is figuring out who is in each group (IU fans or IU admin/well sourced people).

I don't think we're hiring a resume, and I don't believe a resume suggests what might happen.  It reflects what has happened.  As an example, Kevin Ollie won a title.  What did his resume suggest?   I think some are focusing way too much on what a coach HAS accomplished.  Proven guys are fine and preferred if you can find the right one; but past success isn't a guarantee of future success; and I think there's a lot more to this hire than a resume.
Any time you fire a coach, no matter where it is along a timeline, there are going to be a few good candidates available.  5 years ago, Brad Stevens would have been a viable target.   Now?  He is not.  Last season, Donovan wouldn't have; and I'm not convinced he is now.  Maybe.   3 years from now, perhaps a guy like Fife makes more sense.  Maybe another few names emerge.  We have to get this one right.  Doesn't matter what a resume says.  This coach has to be at Indiana 10-15 years, minimum.  One of the most important hires in the program's history.  Maybe the school's.  The brand depends on it, so I think they really need to focus on what they believe WILL happen; not what has happened.

Awful example in Kevin Ollie. His championship roster was made up exclusively of the legendary Coach Calhoun's players. Since then??? Yeah.. major mistake by UConn. They have been awful since.

2 hours ago, Bowhunter said:

Gotleib saying Alford to IU is a done deal. That makes me nervous!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using BtownBanners mobile app

There is no way Alford is taking a minute of time to listen to or speak to anyone at IU about the gig while he is still in the tournament. Nor any coach still in.  They get paid millions to coach and focus on the teams and kids They work for now.  They are professionals and owe it to the kids they are coaching.  In addition, Glass would never disrespect another coach (any coach) still in the tournament by contacting them and offering a job.  It just wouldn't happen.

As for contacting BD, that's different.  NBA coaches are dealing with multi-millionaires who most could care less about who their coach is.  If BD was to announce tomorrow that he will be leaving OKC for IU after the playoffs it would have little or no affect on that team.

I think it would be easier for a proven coach to get patience from our fan base. A lot of these other names on our list would have to deal with immediate pressure but a guy like Donovan can have lots of breathing room to get it done. He has done it before and everyone knows that. A man with his talent, Indiana resources, and connections to the NBA would be unstoppable. My fingers are crossed. It wouldn't take long to be in the Elite discussion once again.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using BtownBanners mobile app