Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

CrossboneIU22

Welcome Coach Miller

17 minutes ago, hoosierbannerd said:

a-freagin-men..  NBA style offense was one of the things that drove me nuts about FCTC's "weave n heave".. 4 players standing around watching 1 guy try to go one on one "gotta showcase my skillz" time and no D.  I know it's rare nowadays, but I miss watching a motion O. 

I'm going to assume you haven't watched the NBA in a long time? The isolation, one-on-one style of the 90's went away a long time ago. The 2015 Spurs (the year the won the title?) were an amazing offensive basketball team. If someone asked me to teach them offensive basketball I would just put in a tape of what they did to the Heat in the Finals. Have you watched the Warriors, Celtics, etc.? 

Also, NBA defenses are infinitely more sophisticated than college defenses. This mantra that NBA team don't play defense has always been a fallacy. 

Wrong thread, but figured we'd need some help to get to 1,000 pages...

4 minutes ago, uncle_t13 said:

Just curious, other than 1 Elite Eight run, what has Bennett done or won that Crean didn't also do at IU? What is his draw for all of you? A handful of conference titles (we already know no one at IU cares about those) and mostly disappointing tournament runs?

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

If Tom Crean had done this at Iowa or Penn St. then it would be impressive.  Bennett has accomplished these things at schools that have very little history and resources that pale in comparison to IU.

Just now, uncle_t13 said:

By that logic his "down" years must be roughly the same as his "good" years. The year he won Nat'l COY, he went 1-1 in the tournament as well.

No his down years are 7th seeds and 5th in conference. And he still goes to the NCAAs. 

His up years are top 2 seeds. 

It took coach K like 12 years to get past the sweet sixteen more than once. 

Winning is more about getting to the tourney every year as a high seed. Which Bennett does

Just curious, other than 1 Elite Eight run, what has Bennett done or won that Crean didn't also do at IU? What is his draw for all of you? A handful of conference titles (we already know no one at IU cares about those) and mostly disappointing tournament runs?

Curious, what does your wish list look like?

23 minutes ago, RedsIUfan said:

A 1000 to fire and a 1000 to hire. 

The question is, can we get to 1000 here before 247 gets to 1000 there?  Now granted, they have a head start because theirs started prior to Crean getting fired, but if we got the Fire Crean Page to 1000, I know we can do it again with this one.  Currently it's:  

HSN247 - 445

BTB - 147

298 pages to catch up.

19 minutes ago, uncle_t13 said:

By that logic his "down" years must be roughly the same as his "good" years. The year he won Nat'l COY, he went 1-1 in the tournament as well.

Because his best player was injured.  Often overlooked in the discussion of Bennett's tournament success is the fact that in 4 of his 5 tournament appearances at Virginia one of his two best players has been injured (2012 - Brogdon, Harris; 2014 - Gill; 2015 - Anderson; 2017 - Wilkins).  Last year was the only year he has had a reasonably healthy team and they steamrolled to the Elite Eight before losing a heartbreaker to a conference opponent with a Hall of Fame coach.  Speaking of which, the coaches who had eliminated him prior to Mike White this year - Donovan, Izzo, Izzo, Boeheim.  That speaks more to bad luck and small sample size than any real evidence he can't win in the tournament.

Edited by HOOsier Thunder

The question is, can we get to 1000 here before 247 gets to 1000 there?  Now granted, they have a head start because theirs started prior to Crean getting fired, but if we got the Fire Crean Page to 1000, I know we can do it again with this one.  Currently it's:  
HSN247 - 445
BTB - 147
298 pages to catch up.

We dont have enough posters acting connected posting insane stories lol

Sent from my SM-G920V using BtownBanners mobile app

22 minutes ago, uncle_t13 said:

For starters his teams actually play defense, and quite well usually.

Please don't tell me your wishlist includes Dana "I coach defense worse than Crean" Altman.

27 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I'm going to assume you haven't watched the NBA in a long time? The isolation, one-on-one style of the 90's went away a long time ago. The 2015 Spurs (the year the won the title?) were an amazing offensive basketball team. If someone asked me to teach them offensive basketball I would just put in a tape of what they did to the Heat in the Finals. Have you watched the Warriors, Celtics, etc.? 

Also, NBA defenses are infinitely more sophisticated than college defenses. This mantra that NBA team don't play defense has always been a fallacy. 

Wrong thread, but figured we'd need some help to get to 1,000 pages...

This is absolutely correct. While I enjoy the college game more, the NBA (in particular the Warriors and Spurs) have amazing offensive sets and chemistry. Watch the warriors this year on offense. The passing and court awareness is off the charts. And also, it's really hard to play D in the NBA when you're going against the most offensively gifted players in the world night in and night out.

Ill go on record as saying if Donovan doesn't happen Tony Bennett is my 2nd choice.  Full Disclosure, I've been looking at Kenpom stats for the last 30 minutes so my opinion might be a little clouded by all those years in a row of being in the top 5 defenses.

Edited by Benziu
Addition

Just now, Benziu said:

Ill go on record as saying if Donovan doesn't happen Tony Bennett is my 2nd choice.

I think you share that sentiment with many posters/lurkers on the board. 

At least all of us who are not concerned with one Tourney loss where one of his worst teams in years failed to eclipse 40 points.

16 minutes ago, IU Hoosier41 said:

He turned us down when we were 300 pounds with a face full of acne. We've slimmed down to 130 pounds with the occasional zit. Big difference in timing.

This sounds like something I'd have written. lol. God help us all. 

We saw the story slamming Gregg Marshall's wife...but it appears Archie Miller's wife has had an embarrassing moment too. What's good for one candidate is good for the other.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.thesportsbank.net/northwestern-wildcats/morgan-miller-dayton-coach-wife-rips-northwestern-basketball-after-loss/amp/

Hire Billy! That would be outstanding