Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

CrossboneIU22

Welcome Coach Miller

See heres my problem, if we aren't willing to pay to be the best we won't be.  Glass talked about how resources wouldn't be an issue then we went and got a coach for about what we were paying before.  Our recruiting was already a big spender.  

The Glass press conference was just very poorly done and deceptive.  

See heres my problem, if we aren't willing to pay to be the best we won't be.  Glass talked about how resources wouldn't be an issue then we went and got a coach for about what we were paying before.  Our recruiting was already a big spender.  

Not every model starts with top of pay scale. Mitigating risk plays a part and if the risk pays off, you have room to move Archie into the next tier of pay grades and if it's a home run, he gets the elite pay. Even if it was Donavan, the risk was always- does he leave for the next shiny opportunity. Risk can come in many shapes and sizes and resources don't always correlate to $$$

1 minute ago, indy317219 said:

Not every model starts with top of pay scale. Mitigating risk plays a part and if the risk pays off, you have room to move Archie into the next tier of pay grades and if it's a home run, he gets the elite pay. Even if it was Donavan, the risk was always- does he leave for the next shiny opportunity. Risk can come in many shapes and sizes and resources don't always correlate to $$$

You can't let the fear that your good people will leave be a reason to not hire the best people.  

And yes there was the risk that Donovan could leave us.  Miller has the same risk.  Its a risk for whoever you hire.  Its not like Miller is an indentured servant or something.  

Care to tell me what resources a college Bball program gets that aren't tied to money in some way.  The only one I could think of is lessening academic standards to some degrees.  

18 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

He could have meant that resources aren't an issue in other regards. Fred was able to upgrade his coach without having to spend more money. Since he only had to pay Archie $3 million he has a lot of money left over that he can use on recruiting, assistant coaches, etc. 

You can't let the fear that your good people will leave be a reason to not hire the best people.  
And yes there was the risk that Donovan could leave us.  Miller has the same risk.  Its a risk for whoever you hire.  Its not like Miller is an indentured servant or something.  
Care to tell me what resources a college Bball program gets that aren't tied to money in some way.  The only one I could think of is lessening academic standards to some degrees.  

Yes and no in regards to a coach potentially leaving. Some have more inclination than others- Donavan appears to be indecisive in that regard. Resources can mean facilities that come from donors. It can mean availability and not only on court but off court, it can mean mentoring kids, it can mean opportunities post graduation. While all might equate to a dollar figure they aren't always tangible in that regard. Lastly, as stated and as most perceived that to mean it wasn't going to be about money- if you can get a coach for 3.25 as opposed to 8-all things being equal- you take the 3.25 all day. We weren't in the room, don't know the conversations nor the sincere candidates- so we cannot speculate what money was and was not available.

Yeah, Archie puts in three solid years and he'll receive a fat extension and a real nice raise. We have room to give him that raise now.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Judging by Coach Millers Twitter he is reaching out to former players. Notably the 2011-12 team. Good to see. Would love to stay in the Watford families good graces. 

I haven't seen any tweets by him since when he first got the job.

Sent from my LGLS676 using BtownBanners mobile app

I would love to know whether or not the players see much of a difference between Crean and Arch yet. Crean was really good at things like this and small sided drills seemed to be his thing.

But still I wonder if having a guy who played pushing them now is already something they are benefitting from

10 hours ago, 8bucks said:

I would love to know whether or not the players see much of a difference between Crean and Arch yet. Crean was really good at things like this and small sided drills seemed to be his thing.

But still I wonder if having a guy who played pushing them now is already something they are benefitting from

I was listening to a podcast (maybe Peegs) and Peegs made the statement that JBJ was 50/50 on leaving right now because the Blackmon's have been very impressed with CAM and feel that JBJ has already shown a lot of improvement from him.

34 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

In one of Jordan Hulls' blog postings he mentioned that in 4 years he never saw FCTC shoot a jump shot.  Wonder how many the current squad have already seen from CAM!  Bet it's more than none.

Wouldn't surprise me if it happens at nearly every practice.

I imagine CAM challenges the boys to 3 point contests, he seems to be able to connect with the guys.

That's the key in my opinion. He seems to be able to connect with them on a personal level but also has the respect that when he speaks everyone listens. Having a coach that's capable of both is very nice.

A tweet from Coach Miller yesterday.

I want to thank AJ Moye for stopping into Cook Hall today! Great to meet you and appreciate the time! #Hoosier

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

Miss AJ....We could sure use a warrior like AJ Moye on the roster—-loved his toughness...

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app