Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

CrossboneIU22

Welcome Coach Miller

1 hour ago, Treesh said:

He and Archie worked together before. From Indiana has strong connections. Archie and Groce together may be the strongest coaching combination in the Big Ten. 

Agreed that it might be...but considering that he was just at Illinois (don't see a lot of HCs making moves within the same conference, unless you are going from AC to HC) and they were both Assistant Coaches at OSU at the same time, it just seems hard for me to believe that he would make a move like that...but maybe I am wrong.  

Wait...are we talking about the same John Groce that just got fired from Illinois?  
If so, I understand it, he is from Muncie and Taylor Univ, but he has been a HC for almost 10 years now...what makes you think that he would be willing to take a step back?

Fred Glass made it clear that he was committing resources to the coaching staff and recruiting budget... I doubt he will actually join the staff but Glass did mention that he was committing resources to the staff and recruiting budgets. Maybe we are able to pay him a lucrative figure for a short while, until he's able to find something more suitable/sustainable.

2 minutes ago, Scooter D said:

Agreed that it might be...but considering that he was just at Illinois (don't see a lot of HCs making moves within the same conference, unless you are going from AC to HC) and they were both Assistant Coaches at OSU at the same time, it just seems hard for me to believe that he would make a move like that...but maybe I am wrong.  

Like Dalton pointed out, I don't see him taking a mid major move right now. Might as well get some coaching in at Indiana until a good program opens up. 

36 minutes ago, Dalton26 said:

I don't see any way Groce takes a mid major jab. I think it's more likely he either sits out or becomes an assistant coach at a major conference for a season.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

1 minute ago, Treesh said:

Like Dalton pointed out, I don't see him taking a mid major move right now. Might as well get some coaching in at Indiana until a good program opens up. 

In my mind the only way that he takes an assistant job is if he is under someone like Roy, Coach K, Izzo or maybe even Self.  Not sure if you have ever had to work for a peer that maybe got promoted ahead you or is having more success than you, but it is tough.    

8 minutes ago, HoosierTrav said:

Fred Glass made it clear that he was committing resources to the coaching staff and recruiting budget... I doubt he will actually join the staff but Glass did mention that he was committing resources to the staff and recruiting budgets. Maybe we are able to pay him a lucrative figure for a short while, until he's able to find something more suitable/sustainable.

I suppose enough money can motivate anyone.

In my mind the only way that he takes an assistant job is if he is under someone like Roy, Coach K, Izzo or maybe even Self.  Not sure if you have ever had to work for a peer that maybe got promoted ahead you or is having more success than you, but it is tough.    

Normally I agree but doesn't Archie and Groce have a past together?

Just now, Dalton26 said:

Normally I agree but doesn't Archie and Groce have a past together?

Evidently they were both assistants at OSU together, which in my mind makes Groce being an assistant under CAM a very difficult position.  

20 minutes ago, Scooter D said:

It's Indiana.. It's Indiana!

Offer him 1 million a year and call it a summer. 

You are talking about the Theo Epstein that helped lead the Red Sox to two WS titles, right?  
While evidently, I am one of the delusional and am still a bit disappointed by the hire, let's keep some perspective here...hiring Donovan (2 NC, 4 FF, 6 SEC regular season titles and 4 SEC tournament titles) would have been a fair comparison to Epstein.  Miller...is much more of an unknown...yes he has has some success in the A10, which is a great conference (I used to have season tickets at Temple when they were still an A10 school), but we don't know what he is capable of doing on the big stage.  

Can I ask what specifically you don't like about the hire? Style of play? Not an IU guy?

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

2 hours ago, Treesh said:

Love he's getting all this press. Really going to help speak to the fans across the country and the recruits. 

Really shows the power that the IU job still holds nationally. Maybe I just missed it because I wasn't looking for it, but I didn't see the new UI or Mizzou, or any other new coaches on SVP, Mike & Mike, Dan Patrick, Jim Rome etc., etc.

Archie is everywhere. 

They are all still employed until notified. 
To my memory, I don't believe the coaches are allowed to have workouts this time of year. That being said , Eleston and Garl are in charge for now.

I thought there was a severance payout in the $700-800K range for Buckley, Martin and Judson. Thats why Eldton and Garl were running ship until Archie was hired.

7 minutes ago, LIHoosier said:

I thought there was a severance payout in the $700-800K range for Buckley, Martin and Judson. Thats why Eldton and Garl were running ship until Archie was hired.

You're probably right. I imagine they all know they are gone. 

1 hour ago, rebelhoosier848891 said:

Great to be back in BTown today for daughter's freshman orientation. Tour guide did a great job explaining why Archie will be successful at IU. He was explaining to some of the out of staters how important IU Basketball is to our state and our identity as Hoosiers. Amen. Lots of positive buzz about Coach Miller on campus making this old timer feel young again. Optimism is in the air and hope has returned for IU basketball!

Thats awesome. Hope your daughter enjoys IU.

29 minutes ago, mdn82 said:

Can I ask what specifically you don't like about the hire? Style of play? Not an IU guy?

To be honest, what it comes down to, is that knowing that Donovan was interested 2 years ago in combination with FG's press conference and his list of things that he wanted in the next coach really led me to believe that we were going to get Donovan.  Perhaps my expectations were too high.  

I have nothing against AM, other than I am a little concerned about his age and the fact that while he was successful at Dayton, he does not have experience as a HC in a major conference, so it is tough to know how he will do on the big stage of the Big 10.  Now, I know that the response that I get back will be "...but we hired Knight when he was young and a relative unknown."  Yes, I get it, but I think the days of having a coach at one place for 20+years is past and we want results sooner rather than later.  I am not talking instant gratification here, but by year three, IU needs to be completing for a Final Four.

From all of the press conferences and interviews that I have listened to, he is saying all of the right things.  Love the fact that he is the son of a coach, he played college ball and has a certain "blue-collar" attitude/work ethic.  Sounds like he will mold these young men into upstanding representatives of the university of which we, as alumni and fans, can be proud of.  Love the fact that he is defense oriented, but still wants to run, when it is there and that he wants to own the state.  I was not looking for the hire to be "an IU guy" but by all accounts AM fills that.  That is my nutshell.  

While in BTown today I read a great article in today's Bloomington Herald Times about Coach Miller from his former NC State Coach Sendek who talked about how hard Archie worked as a 5'9" undersized point guard who was not very athletic but who was fearless and a great competitor. He remembered how Archie not only played but started on good-NCAA teams in the ACC and ended up 3rd in program history in free throw percentage (.846), 6th in 3-point percentage (.429), and 4th in total career 3-pointers (218). Sendek said Archie was only able to achieve his playing success for 3 reasons:1) he was an elite shooter;2) he was a fierce competitor; and 3) he has a high basketball IQ. Sendek said with these traits he was able to overcome some physical limitations to become a successful winning player in the ACC. After reading this article--I understand even better how he can relate to in-state players and how that blue collar work ethic that made him a great player also helps make him a good coach. The more I read-the more I like this hire. Go get'em Archie!

Looks like we have our Shot Doctor