Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

CrossboneIU22

Welcome Coach Miller

I hope Archie likes to work the refs. Crean not doing it really hurt us at times imo. I wouldn't mind a few techs from time to time. 

He did state when comparing himself to Sean he was the one that coached with emotions while Sean was the calm one. A tech here and there to let the refs and team know you mean business are quite acceptable. After the last handful of years they might even be welcomed with a round of applause.

On 3/25/2017 at 10:54 PM, cljones1979 said:

There are a lot of cruel people on here. Give him a chance. He took a job he was offered you would have done the same. If your going to put him down give him a year or two then do it. The only person you should be mad at right now is glass

Sent from my SM-G935V using BtownBanners mobile app

That is fair. I've been griping, but it isn't Miller's at fault. First, I don't doubt that Miller is a good coach and as far as I can tell he's a great guy. Second he's not Alford, so that is good. My disappointment stems from wanting an established winner, not an "up and comer." Obviously Donovan would have been fantastic, but I would have even preferred Bennett or Marshall, guys that have consistently won at a high level at different schools. They aren't risks. It's great that Miller had some success in the A-10 and "has potential" and that National media and other coaches like him. I don't care, I want IU to win consistently and immediately. Not in 3yrs, now. I don't care if Miller could be here for 25yrs, I want to win right away, not after he's established himself.

There was a lot of discussion about "is IU an elite job, still a blue-blood?" etc. I believe we have our answer now. When the elite schools have an opening they don't hire someone with potential, they hire the absolute best known commodity (see most recent hires at Kansas, KenSucky, No Carolina & Louisville, for example.)

So long story short, I don't think hiring Miller screams "IU is serious about dominating the B1G and returning to National Prominence!" It says "we found a nice coach that can grow into the role and might be really good" Some will say "He's the best we could get!" Maybe, but if so that is Glass' fault too. Do better. 

I guess I took the Glass press conference to heart and expected a big-time hire. Best case scenario now is that Miller makes me look like an idiot with his outstanding success.

That is fair. I've been griping, but it isn't Miller's at fault. First, I don't doubt that Miller is a good coach and as far as I can tell he's a great guy. Second he's not Alford, so that is good. My disappointment stems from wanting an established winner, not an "up and comer." Obviously Donovan would have been fantastic, but I would have even preferred Bennett or Marshall, guys that have consistently won at a high level at different schools. They aren't risks. It's great that Miller had some success in the A-10 and "has potential" and that National media and other coaches like him. I don't care, I want IU to win consistently and immediately. Not in 3yrs, now. I don't care if Miller could be here for 25yrs, I want to win right away, not after he's established himself.

There was a lot of discussion about "is IU an elite job, still a blue-blood?" etc. I believe we have our answer now. When the elite schools have an opening they don't hire someone with potential, they hire the absolute best known commodity (see most recent hires at Kansas, KenSucky, No Carolina & Louisville, for example.)

So long story short, I don't think hiring Miller screams "IU is serious about dominating the B1G and returning to National Prominence!" It says "we found a nice coach that can grow into the role and might be really good" Some will say "He's the best we could get!" Maybe, but if so that is Glass' fault too. Do better. 

I guess I took the Glass press conference to heart and expected a big-time hire. Best case scenario now is that Miller makes me look like an idiot with his outstanding success.

I get where you're coming from. Archie is not just any young up and comer though imo. He's a guy we would have been upset in a few years if we didn't get him. He's already proven a successful recruiter at big programs. He coached the team USA U19 team to a gold. Also I think it's worth noting this isn't the same situation like when Crean took over. It sounds like you expect us to suck for a few years like we did with Crean. Crean inherited a disaster. As much as we complained about Crean, the team he has left Archie still has a lot of talent on it, especially if we can get one or two guys to stay another year. I don't expect Archie to win the B1G in the next two years but I do expect us to be very competitive. I think we got the best coach possible. Outside of Donovan, The more I think about it I think we got one of the best available. I like him more than Bennett each day that goes by and the more I research him and watch his coaching videos and philosophies.

I am super excited for what the future holds! HOO HOO HOO HOOSIERS!!!!

I get where you're coming from. Archie is not just any young up and comer though imo. He's a guy we would have been upset in a few years if we didn't get him. He's already proven a successful recruiter at big programs. He coached the team USA U19 team to a gold. Also I think it's worth noting this isn't the same situation like when Crean took over. It sounds like you expect us to suck for a few years like we did with Crean. Crean inherited a disaster. As much as we complained about Crean, the team he has left Archie still has a lot of talent on it, especially if we can get one or two guys to stay another year. I don't expect Archie to win the B1G in the next two years but I do expect us to be very competitive. I think we got the best coach possible. Outside of Donovan, The more I think about it I think we got one of the best available. I like him more than Bennett each day that goes by and the more I research him and watch his coaching videos and philosophies.

I am super excited for what the future holds! HOO HOO HOO HOOSIERS!!!!

He was definitely the best available college coach. Better than Marshall, Collins and Mack for sure. And I would still take him over Bennett. Good times ahead man! Archie is gonna lead IU back to greatness!

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

I was around for Alford's glory years and wanted nothing to do with him. I truly think we got one of the best young coaches out there and we will be pretty happy even to see what he is able to do with whatever players decide to stay from Crean's tenure.
I'm not saying he is the next Bob Knight, but the situations are pretty similar. Knight wasn't immediately accepted by a lot of the fan base, based on what I've read. Many were turned off by his slow-it-down offensive style. Winning cures all, and I think in a few years, the fan base will look back and wonder how we managed to bring this guy in.

I concur

Sent from my SM-T377V using Tapatalk