Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

CrossboneIU22

Welcome Coach Miller

The problem though if you look at Mike White's whole career on Wikipedia , he is a southern boy and seems to enjoy staying down there

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using BtownBanners mobile app

Listen everyone on here knows I really like Mike White and I follow UF basketball almost half as much as IU and that is saying a lot. Mike White is NOT leaving UF for anything other than the NBA or Duke. When he started out his dad had big time college teams ready to offer him an assistant spot because of daddy. Mike turned them down and wanted his own path. Even went as far as saying I will make it and once I do I dont want my daddy helping me being a barrier for people to use. He loves Florida and looks at it in the same light as pretty much any program because of the success Billy D was able to have there. It was a stretch to think he would have came here seriously. I listened to quite a few podcast once the SEC tourney started and once the tourney got underway. Guys down there expect Florida to give him an extension after this year and it is looking like it will be very big numbers. Guys said he was even willing to put a clause in the contract that he didnt leave unless it was Duke or NBA to make his buyout higher if they do go the extension route which looks 100% likely. I have no doubt in 5 years he will be one of the best coaches and people are gonna say we should have gotten him but I dont believe he was going anywhere. We could have thrown 5 mill at him and got him probably but that is taking a huge risk. Even I know he could flame out. Doubt it happens but he doesnt have the track record yet to know for a fact he wont.

Sent from my LGLS676 using BtownBanners mobile app

Though I will support and give Miller a chance, this hire seems like a major let down after that sunshine pumping 2 sided lawyer speech that we got the other day. Miller has potential but that's not exactly what FC said they were looking for! Let's refrain judgement of our new coach and give him some time to show us this was a good decision.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

For anyone questioning the state of the IU job because of us hiring Miller and not a bigger name, I have to ask if any of the other top college jobs opened up right now (UNC, KU, UK, Louisville, UCLA) and none of them could pull Donovan or Stevens, what would their coaching candidates look like? (save Duke because of Collins). I don't see Few ever leaving Gonzaga, and going forward I don't see that much of a dropoff between Archie and Marshall, S. Miller or Mack. 

Good post. I agree

Sent from my SM-T377V using Tapatalk

Quick note people that think comparing Crean here is okay with comparing Archie at Dayton.

1.Success at a mid major is harder than it looks and we seem to think. Gonzaga, George Mason, WSU, VCU, Butler and Dayton are the only true mid majors with legit tourney success.

2.You can probably throw the Zags off that list so that means 4 schools.

3. If you are gonna do anything compare him to the other true mid majors and he is far and away the best choice. Zags dont count and Butler and Xavier are in the Big East. VCU and WSU are the only schools that are on the level. WSU has a lot more resources than Dayton as well.

4.WSU has KU and Missouri to deal with in recruiting. Dayton has Xavier, OSU, Cincy, IU, Butler, Purdue and ND in the area. If you don't like the hire your entitled to your own opinions but please lets not be realistically expecting Dayton to have better success than IU. That is truly stupid in my book.

1. You forgot several other mid majors that have done well. San Diego State has been far better than Dayton. Northern Iowa recently had a give year stretch where they had tourney success. And there are others.

2. Why can we throw the Zags off of the list? Because they are too good and Dayton doesn't measure up? That makes no sense.

3. I agree, when you throw out every mid major that has been better than Archie, he is them the best! Although you did miss a few that have better records than him. Also, Butler had a better record in the Horizon League under Todd Lickliter than Dayton has under Archie. He has a similar record to people you would never consider hiring at IU. Would you have hired Ben Jacobsen from Northern Iowa after his 7th season there? Probably not. Butler and Xavier moved up, WSU is too good. What's next? Florida Gulf Coast has better weather?

5. There are more schools to complete with in WSU's area than you named and I think yippy realize it. Iowa, Iowa St., Oklahoma/st. Etc.

In addition look at the results of people like Archie once they make it to a major conference (where it apparently isn't as tough to win). How is Smart working out for Texas? How was Lickliter at Iowa?

The point is that Archie is a gamble. Can he succeed? Absolutely, but there is no metric where he looks great... even compared to Tom Crean. I will put together a comparison of mid majors later and post it. Maybe I am way off. That's the beauty of measurables, they are unaffected by my emotions.

We are ok the same side. Those of you excited about Archie are lifting my spirits. However, when people try to whitewash his resume to make look like something it isn't, that doesn't help.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using BtownBanners mobile app

I know everyone was set on Billy D but no one with real credibility EVER said it was a real shot. PTI said he should take it not that he was interested. Dakich said to make a call to him nothing more. We did reach out and he declined. Our only half decent shot at him was 2 years ago. So if your gonna blame Glass for not landing him blame him 2 years ago not today. Stevens is 2-3 years away from dominating the East the way LeBron has. He wasnt coming and is expecting a raise after this year. Now that those two are out of the way name one guy who could have gotten that didnt have a question mark by his name.
Tony Bennett: can he continue to land elite recruits and only has a 3 star coming in this year so looks like a 1 year thing. Can he get past his tourney demons? Can he provide enough offense to win a title?

Steve Alford: 22 years not one season of past the sweet sixteen even with 3 future lotto picks. Not even gonna waste my energy on character.

Gregg Marshall: Serious personality issues. Crazy wife. Can he compete against higher level opponents? Can he recruit at a high level?

Chris Collins: would he take a move inside conference? Would he even want to move on knowing in a few years him or White and even Woj are the only guys probably getting an interview from Duke besides maybe Brad Stevens highly doubt that but still. Can he be consistent? Can he get past the first weekend?

Sean Miller: just signed an extension and a top 5 class at Zona. Can he make a final four? Can he go a whole game without ruining a suit?

Dane Fife: is he even ready? Next

Mike White: would he even answer a phone call? If so why do we think we can get him closer to a title than UF seeing how they have won more titles than us in 30 years? Will he wait for Duke or the NBA to call even if he came here? If daddy wants him at Duke he is on the first flight. His defense is phenomenal but can he be consistent enough to be contenders year in and year out? Can he recruit 5 stars?

Everyone of our choices came with risk and yes Archie has some too but at least with him you know there is so much more he can do being only 38.

I think you can plug Archie in the same spot as his brother. Nearly identical numbers and accomplishments at same point in career.

My List: (what I thought realistic)
1.) Donovan
2.) Bennett
3.) A. Miller
4.) Collins

Donovan for obvious reasons. Bennett bc I'm desperate for consistency and some semblance of a defense. Miller and Collins bc I think these two are head and shoulders above every other young coach in the nation. I believe they are the next line of legendary coaches. Glad we got one of them.

I calmed myself down. I'll give him some time..

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Pretty much mine also.I never thought we had a shot with Donovan.Bennett was my first pick but I'm happy as a lark with Archie.
The kid can coach.