Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

CrossboneIU22

Welcome Coach Miller

Someone good with tech can go to the Dayton Flyer site and look under news from last November and find their 3 man recruiting class which contains a true point guard, a 7 foot center, and a shooting guard. The 6'4 " shooting guard is Jordan Davis from Irmo South Carolina--the center is Jordan Pierce of Scotch Pine , New Jersey--he is a Hoss-7 foot 255 pounds-- and the true point is McKinley Wright of Champlin Minnesota--6 ft.
Dig in Hoosier Nation--I don't know much about their rankings but Miller is known as a good recruiter. Let's see what we can find out because they may follow him to IU!

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

1 hour ago, Old Friend said:

This is a hire that says Fred Glass made a decision based on what he thinks Miller WILL do, not what he has done.   Our timing just hasn't been right to get a "home run."  For example, Brad Stevens was never available when we were.   Glass is betting on the come.   Which he said he would do.  Archie Miller at Indiana will be a different coach than Archie Miller at Dayton.  Time will tell; and while I think everyone needs to support the man, I get some of the disappointment in the hire.  

I wonder if guys like me who grew up on 1976 Indiana Basketball, 1981 Indiana Basketball, etc....might need to make a harsh realization that this job just isn't what I thought it was....but then again, the University made that decision long ago.  There just were not many "huge names" or home run hires available.  Is this the best young guy?  He's certainly a good young guy.  He has won two A10 titles in a row,  That's about it.  He's someone I'm sure Glass thinks will be here for a long time; and I suppose time will tell.  I'm not blown away, but not disappointed.   

Like you, I'm not blown away, but I'm hopeful.  I well remember when Lou Watson was replaced by some young guy from Army.  Indiana took a risk when Knight was hired.  He dramatically changed the style of play the "hurrying Hoosiers" were known for and it was not popular in the beginning.  He didn't care as he had a system he wanted to implement.  He had a vision about the style of ball he wanted to play and once he recruited players that fit his system, he was able to succeed and build on it.  Miller doesn't need to be another Knight.  He just needs to be ready to work his butt off to develop his brand of basketball at Indiana.  Go Hoosiers!

2 minutes ago, Dalton26 said:

What profile picture do you want? I'll change it for you if you can't figure it out.

I sent a message to FW just now lol. I'm hoping he can talk me through it. Could be complicated though since it's me :)

The thing is, without the Billy Donovan pipedream that everyone got hyped for (including myself), there are only two coaches you could argue that were real possibilities who are better than Archie.  Marshall and Bennett.  Outside of those two, who do you think would be better than Archie?  No one in my opinion.

9 minutes ago, jmsgws said:

I would change that to say IU WAS an elite job.  Miller could be great, but I see the hire as a gamble.  Pedigree is no better than Crean's was 9 years ago.  Granted IU is in a completely different place, though.

But if IU is such an elite job, I don't think you have to hire a coach at almost 6 times his current salary. 

If not him then who? It's all about timing. The timing was that Crean definitely needed to go and miller was one of the best coaching prospects on the market. 

3 minutes ago, Dalton26 said:

Go to your profile on CPU or web view and click the photo thing in the top left

74a838bcfce06258609e3b3fd408e8df.png

See I did that and it says upload photo and all that good stuff. How do I find a photo from the internet?

1 hour ago, HoosierTrav said:

Everyone is entitled to their opinion on this hire. I will say, don't take it out on the admin or the new coach. Take it out on those attention whores over at 247 and on Twitter. They were the ones who sold us on the Donovan bs. Archie is a fantastic young coach and a tremendous recruiter.

I can't say AMEN enough times for this post!

20 minutes ago, jmsgws said:

I would change that to say IU WAS an elite job.  Miller could be great, but I see the hire as a gamble.  Pedigree is no better than Crean's was 9 years ago.  Granted IU is in a completely different place, though.

But if IU is such an elite job, I don't think you have to hire a coach at almost 6 times his current salary. 

I agree. He's getting paid more then Izzo...