Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

CrossboneIU22

Welcome Coach Miller

Comparison between Archie and Crean since 2011 (Archie's first year at Dayton).
I'll just leave it right here...
58d6b88aa99e5_ArchievCrean.thumb.png.d0c8f446f101ad1c2557649551769b97.png

I'm very afraid we just hired Crean 2.0. Similar resumes and he's even awkward in interviews.

I'll always be a fan, but I don't see the upside here. How have his recruiting classes been?

Just now, Josh said:

I'm very afraid we just hired Crean 2.0. Similar resumes and he's even awkward in interviews.

I'll always be a fan, but I don't see the upside here. How have his recruiting classes been?

Except Crean had more money in the program, better facilities, better state, better school, better in-state players available, better players.... Yea fair comparison though.

1 hour ago, Hardwood83 said:

You might be right- which makes me sad too. The best coach IU can get is a 30 something from a mid-major.....Nothing to do now but hope for the best and I'm glad many are excited, but I am extremely under-whelmed.

So, where do you think Knight, Coach K, Beilein, and Donovan came from? 

2 minutes ago, coonhounds said:

Celebration time beginning. This seems appropriate lola9b4a127d703474ab939ca1328783765.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920V using BtownBanners mobile app

I believe at dinner tonight, this will be my beverage of choice...

Just heard Katz on ESPN radio- liked Archie hire, again bashing the fan base saying our expectations are too high- we should be happy with a Sweet 16 run and MAYBE an Elite 8 now and then.. From a national standpoint, I guess it has been awhile; but I'm glad we aren't Kentucky or NC- who cheat their @$$ off and we all know it. I think it's a high risk/reward hire; but he IS a better X and O coach, young, will have fire in the belly and was able to do more with less, Dayton fans pissed-which is always a good sign.  Would love to know what consensus is among state/AAU coaches of him. I for one am happy!

It's Miller time!

Except Crean had more money in the program, better facilities, better state, better school, better in-state players available, better players.... Yea fair comparison though.

That's what's supposed to make us feel better? They're the same coach but Crean had more luxuries?? Got anything else for me?

Off what basis? This dude was coaching at a much smaller school at a whole different competition level than IU and produced. I'm not saying you at all but in general everyone just wants to look at the records and compare them and it's BS. The guy is a much better Xs and Os guy. If anything this comparison shows how **** Crean was at IU. People bring up that Archie hasn't accomplished enough.. I'm not sure what more people expect from someone coaching at the mid major level.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Here's the thing, literally every single national figure is saying this is a slam dunk/ home run hire. I understand the apprehension in it not being a huge name, but to write the guy off already or say you are "devastated" by the hire is patently stupid. RMK is not walking through that door and it seems like a lot of people still don't understand that, stop licking your wounds and feeling sorry for yourself. This was a great hire.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Sean miller and thad matta both came from xavier and we not home run hires. Most home run coaches start at a xavier or dayton type of school. I guess its a risk but better than holtman or mack imo.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, Josh said:

That's what's supposed to make us feel better? They're the same coach but Crean had more luxuries?? Got anything else for me?

You are really dense huh?  Archie is obviously the better coach... He's done what Crean did (and went further in the tourney) without nearly as many resources...

Just now, Josh said:

I'm going to give Miller a chance but it seems what they're saying is Crean had more weapons...they're leaving out that Crean had tougher opponents. 

This is good get. 

This will FINALLY put the death knell to all those "OSU in waiting" stories out of Ohio. I have no doubt he coveted that job, but I was of the opinion that if IU is interested, you can't wait on whatever might be going on with Matta, because IU is an elite job. 

I wonder even how much it will change the dynamic, because like FCTC, Miller tended to recruit a fair amount of East Coast guys. Will Miller orient toward more of an Indiana-centric recruiting approach? Will be interesting to watch.