Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

CrossboneIU22

Welcome Coach Miller

If you're in the process of hiring a coach, would you really tell someone they are or aren't the top candidate? I would think you'd just tell them they're one of many candidates. However, I have never hired a coach, so I don't know. 

I'm hoping Alford was never really an option and they were just going to give him an interview because he's IU guy and by saying he's not the top candidate was a nice way of saying thanks but no thanks.

Confused by what?  That someone had an initially different point of view than you did?   Just thinking more about it.  Nothing in particular,

Confused by your extremely hardline stance that Billy Donovan is not the "right guy" and that winning isn't the only important indicator, according to you. Confused as to what changed your mind.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

As everybody goes batshit crazy about Billy Donovan, remember this: Bob Knight was in B-town for 29 years and to this day, many can't get over the fact that he's no longer there. Don't let yourselves get too worked up over someone who was NEVER there. What I mean is this: If, say on Monday afternoon, Fred Glass trots Archie Miller or Chris Mack (if Xavier is out of the NCAAs) or Chris Holtmann (if Butler is out) and says "This is our new head coach," don't be too friggin' disappointed. And give the guy a chance. After years of "Yeah, but he's not Bob Knight," for a guy who was here for 29 years, I'd hate to hear "Yeah, but he's not Billy Donovan," for a guy who was never here after everybody fell for some cornball rumor that was completely cooked up. Not saying it's fake news or that it won't happen, but prepare yourselves for the fact that it might be and that BD was never a serious candidate in the first place. 

Preach it

Sent from my SM-T377V using Tapatalk

7 minutes ago, Old Friend said:

I know he'll be great....never a doubt about that.  I was more sold than perhaps necessary on whether or not we needed a guy with roots here.  I am far less convinced of that now; mostly because he's a smart guy.  He gets it.   I'm big on culture.  That's what it boils down to.

As an Old Schooler and an alum I also wish we could have found the homerun hire coach with Indiana ties but besides Stevens there really isn't one available. Alford is not in the same league.  That's why I have been on the Donovan Train and I am so hoping that Train is about to reach the station! Give me some combination of Cheaney, Smart, Fife, Lewis. or some other legendary IU guys as assistant coaches and we are ready to roll.  I have absolutely NO DOUBT Billy D. will make Indiana great again and bring in top recruits and title contending teams year in and year out.  If his hire becomes official in my opinion it will be the best news for IU basketball since the last national championship. I was on campus for that one and my son and daughter will be on campus next year and I want them to have that same experience. I will never forget the roar that went up in Btown  when Smart hit "The Shot". If Glass gets this hire right and Donovan (or Stevens) come---we are finally all the way back!

I know he'll be great....never a doubt about that.  I was more sold than perhaps necessary on whether or not we needed a guy with roots here.  I am far less convinced of that now; mostly because he's a smart guy.  He gets it.   I'm big on culture.  That's what it boils down to.

And FWIW, he may call out things he doesn't like in pretty stark terms, but no one has better credibility, and does a better job of saying what he means...
Than Old Friend.